Evernote Web Clipper

• Level 5

@Dave Edwards, these self-promotional postings are getting beyond what the forums are for IMHO. "Do not use the forums to promote or sell your product, service, or business unless it is relevant to the forum thread, you are an Evernote Certified Consultant, or you have prior approval from Evernote staff" (https://discussion.evernote.com/guidelines/). I appreciate that new users might benefit from your tutorials (I've saved the one on backlinks), but unless indeed you are a Certified Consultant or have approval, starting a thread just to post a promotional link seems, with respect and IMHO, like going too far.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
9 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

unless indeed you are a Certified Consultant or have approval, starting a thread just to post a promotional link seems, with respect and IMHO, like going too far.

Hi @Dave-in-Decatur

The Certified Consultant program was rebadged as Evernote Expert so I think @Dave Edwards is good to go on that front...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Seems like the intention of the guidelines was to say that comments have to be relevant to the forum thread - as in: an ongoing discussion about Clipper,  someone who's asking about how to save information into Evernote,  or something similar.  If you're an Expert,  or you have permission from Staff,  you can then say "call me,  I know about this stuff" (and yes,  someone else is actively doing that in the Forums).

The way the item is worded though seems to suggest that if you start a thread with your own promotion,  what you're saying is (obviously) relevant to the topic,  so you're good to go.

Personally I think this is a discussion forum where you can rant all you want or ask for help,  but posting out and out promotions should definitely be banned.  I'll defer this one to the Admins.  No disrespect to @Dave Edwards - he does good video;  but I don't want to have to work my way through a selection of billboards to get to the actual tech questions (and rants!).  :)

• Like 2

In the mean time, in regards to the Evernote Web Clipper, it has functionally become useless because it no longer works with Gmail as far as I am can tell. It used to be able to allow me to choose what emails in a thread to clip. It was simple and seamless. 

Turns out the latest version forces me to literally clip the entire gmail application web page, not just an email. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell I cannot go back and install the older version of the web clipper that was so very useful. 

And as for the Evernote for Gmail add-on, sfter testing on more than one Gmail account. as far as I can tell:

- it does not capture multiple emails in a thread with a choice of what emails to keep,  as the old web clipper did.
- it does not capture all the information of a single email, such as date and time, as the old web clipper did.
- it is now more effective to highlight the contents of email and cute and paste into a note, which defeats the purpose for having a clipper or add-on in the first place.
- it is disabled by system administrator for my main account. 

So effectively Evernote web clipper and Gmail add on are now useless to me.  This is so insanely frustrating. Evernote had it right with it's web clipper and I finally gave in and started to  depend on it.  It really worked well.  I had another Evernote "sledge hammer that did its job as a sledge hammer." AND here we go again, another great feature broken. 😞  

Anyone know how I can get hold of a safe, validated, and working previous version of Evernote Web Clipper for Google Chrome, that works with Gmail to clip individual and multiple emails? 

• Level 5

It is a web clipper (although it may have worked on emails as well). It is not designated an email clipper. This is like picking up a hammer and complaining about its bad usability as a wrench.

The web clipper can always encounter web sites that try to block clipping. Be it because they want to enforce a paywall, be it that they try something different in web design - problems can occur. The normal positive reaction is to open a support ticket, and send the problematic website to the attention of EN. The web clipper team checks it out, and if it is a regular (maybe new) roadblock, they try to address it.

To save emails there is a much simpler way: Send the email from your email account to the email address related to your EN account. No need for clipping at all.

1 hour ago, HRC said:

In the mean time, in regards to the Evernote Web Clipper, it has functionally become useless because it no longer works with Gmail as far as I am can tell. It used to be able to allow me to choose what emails in a thread to clip. It was simple and seamless. 

Turns out the latest version forces me to literally clip the entire gmail application web page, not just an email. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell I cannot go back and install the older version of the web clipper that was so very useful. 

And as for the Evernote for Gmail add-on, sfter testing on more than one Gmail account. as far as I can tell:

- it does not capture multiple emails in a thread with a choice of what emails to keep,  as the old web clipper did.
- it does not capture all the information of a single email, such as date and time, as the old web clipper did.
- it is now more effective to highlight the contents of email and cute and paste into a note, which defeats the purpose for having a clipper or add-on in the first place.
- it is disabled by system administrator for my main account. 

So effectively Evernote web clipper and Gmail add on are now useless to me.  This is so insanely frustrating. Evernote had it right with it's web clipper and I finally gave in and started to  depend on it.  It really worked well.  I had another Evernote "sledge hammer that did its job as a sledge hammer." AND here we go again, another great feature broken. 😞  

Anyone know how I can get hold of a safe, validated, and working previous version of Evernote Web Clipper for Google Chrome, that works with Gmail to clip individual and multiple emails? 

I have had issues clipping Gmail emails before, and I sympathize, it can be frustrating. I just went to test and it seems to be working for me (allowing me to choose which emails of a thread to clip), so I wonder if something else is going on with your config? Sometimes I have had temporary issues which resolve by reloading Gmail, or quitting and restarting the browser. Worth a try if you haven't already. I would also make sure you are running the latest version of Chrome, and perhaps consider trying another supported browser as well.

FWIW, I am running Web Clipper 7.29.2, and Chrome 109.0.5414.87 (Official Build) (x86_64) for macOS.

• 2 weeks later...

Folks,

it was never my intent to irritate anyone by posting my videos on this forum. Rather as a certified expert I have been trying to share what expertise I have. My apologies if I offended anyone. 

I am confused as to whether my videos are welcome or not. I thought that if my average video is 5 minutes and I include 30 seconds of direction to my business it would not be considered harmful. But I guess I can’t make everyone happy. 

Dave

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Dave Edwards said:

Folks,

it was never my intent to irritate anyone by posting my videos on this forum. Rather as a certified expert I have been trying to share what expertise I have. My apologies if I offended anyone. 

I am confused as to whether my videos are welcome or not. I thought that if my average video is 5 minutes and I include 30 seconds of direction to my business it would not be considered harmful. But I guess I can’t make everyone happy. 

Dave

Your videos are useful. Keep posting 👍🙂

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
16 hours ago, Dave Edwards said:

it was never my intent to irritate anyone by posting my videos on this forum.

Hi Dave.  There was no real "irritation",  but as you will know this forum is supported mainly by other users like me,  with a small number of us acting as moderators.  We have enhanced powers to edit threads,  report or delete dubious posts and generally keep things in order.  The guidelines quoted above somewhere do include "no self promotion" which (with all due respect),  yours seem to be - in this case you're not responding to requests for more information,  or queries about,  or issues that involve,  clipper.

I watch a lot of YouTube (sadly) and I'm aware that several individuals with or without qualification provide similar content about Evernote and note-taking in general.  I would hate the forums to have posts from influencers drowning out actual questions,  feature requests,  or general rants from users - and (selfish interest incoming) meaning that we have to trawl through even more new posts to find ones that we can actually respond to.

Having said all of which I did raise this question with Evernote who haven't responded,  so I guess they're not unhappy with the current situation (or a bit busy with their buy-out).  Unless and until you hear different,  I'd suggest you continue as you are.

As a favour,  if you could title them something like "New Video - The Evernote Web Clipper" or even just "Video..."  I can get from the headline that I don't need to watch the content.  It would mean a little less work for us 'more experienced users'.

-And if you just happen to notice a query where you can suggest a work-around or a fix from time to time... ;)

• Like 1
  • Level 5

My understanding--with no official confirmation--is that a video posted in response to a question or discussion is fine. I found @Dave Edwards' posts in the ongoing Backlinks thread very useful. The issue I have is with creating a thread just to announce a video. Sigh. Sorry to have kicked up a sandstorm. It would actually be good, as @PinkElephant suggested, if the forum mods started a forums specifically devoted to tutorial links.

• Like 1