Allow to use templates in new notes created from move task dialog (or for any new note)

Rense

Idea

When I want to move a task from one note to the other (my use case: from the generic "Things to do" note to the appropriate project note), I have the option to create a new note (for my use case: a new project). However, I then do not have the option to choose a template for the new note. Instead, if I want to move the task to a new note with a certain template, I have to create the new note first with the template, then return to the task, and move it to the new note. This seems unnecessarily complicated; it would be very useful to be able to consistently use templates whenever a new note is created (including the "move task" dialog).

8 replies to this idea

• Evernote Expert

Templates can only be applied to an empty note. This has always been the case. Once you have two in the note it is, of course, no longer empty.

What about cutting the task to the clipboard, creating the new note, applying the template and then pasting the task content and finally, if necessary, converting the task text back into a task.

Probably just as tedious. There is no work around to your work flow.

Thanks, but I really don't see the technical issue. I understand that templates must be applied to empty notes, but if I'm creating a new note from the move task dialog, that note is empty until the task is moved to it. In other words, if I can already manually create a new note, add a template, and then move a task to it, I don't see why the step of choosing a template for the new note can't be integrated in the move task dialog as well.

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, Rense said:

I don't see why the step of choosing a template for the new note can't be integrated in the move task dialog as well.

Hi.  If a number of users ask for this (or a similar) feature it might be worth Evernote's time to re-engineer the coding,  but it would require an unknown number of hours of coding and testing before Evernote could release this as a feature - so guesstimating some thousands of dollars of investment and - given that Evernote will already have a running 12 months of support and development work planned out - a year or more before they started working on it.  Hence the usual response to questions like this:  Evernote will have noted the suggestion,  and may do something with it - but you need to find a work-around or use a different app,  because it (probably) won't happen anytime soon...

• Evernote Expert

I often thnik that such and such a feature should be easy/trifling/a work of moments but the truth is that all these things have dependencies. Change that to accommodate a new feature and then a whole ton of other things are broken.

So right now we are where we are. If you think your suggestion is necessary then submit it via Feedback in the apps or open a support ticket.

Well I posted it here in the forum titled "Feature requests",  because I think it would be a nice and sensible feature. Obviously, I don't have any insight in the effort required to make it happen and of course it is up to Evernote developers to assess weather this is feasible and whether they want to prioritize it. If requests are to be made via Feedback or support tickets, then what is this forum for?

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

The Feedback/Support Ticket routes are guaranteed to get attention. These forums, being user to user, are not guaranteed early or any attention from Evernote staff. Nothing wrong posting here but the direct contact may give you a more assured route to you idea getting attention.

At the same time, sending it directly to EN does not allow to collect more support for an idea from other users, and conversely, for other users to see which ideas have already been suggested and to respond and contribute to such ideas.

Honestly, I'm a bit puzzled by this response. I my mind, I''m contributing to the collective good by sharing an idea for improvement for what I perceive to be an small inconsistency in the EN interface, to a forum that appears to be set up for exactly this purpose. I'm not complaining or making demands. Instead I'm basically being told that EN developers may have more important things to do and that I should take my ideas elsewhere. If that is the typical response to feature requests in the "feature requests" forum we might as well close it and instead all communicate with EN on an individual basis.

10 minutes ago, Rense said:

At the same time, sending it directly to EN does not allow to collect more support for an idea from other users, and conversely, for other users to see which ideas have already been suggested and to respond and contribute to such ideas.

Honestly, I'm a bit puzzled by this response. I my mind, I''m contributing to the collective good by sharing an idea for improvement for what I perceive to be an small inconsistency in the EN interface, to a forum that appears to be set up for exactly this purpose. I'm not complaining or making demands. Instead I'm basically being told that EN developers may have more important things to do and that I should take my ideas elsewhere. If that is the typical response to feature requests in the "feature requests" forum we might as well close it and instead all communicate with EN on an individual basis.

As fellow users we are just saying how it is, without stating whether we agree of disagree with it. EN employees rarely post on the forums but that of course doesn't mean they don't look - we have no way of knowing. Therefore the best solution is, as you say, garner support from other users through the forums (with the added benefit that  somebody may have a workaround) but let EN know directly so that you know that they have got your idea.

• Like 2