Webclipper not loading in newest version of Chrome, Windows 11

Go to solution Solved by dbm015,

47 minutes ago, Doug Weller said:

This is a major issue for me. I use it a lot.. I was going to put this on another forum but wasn't given the choice when I clicked create, so if this is the wrong forum, sorry.

Doug

Might be something wrong in your Chrome settings. I am on Windows 11 22H2 (OS build 22621.1105), Chrome Ver 109.0.5414.75 & EN Web Clipper Extension 7.29.2 and it works fine for me.

• Like 1
FIXED: Wikipedia did a UI refresh on or about 2023-01-18 (see article https://techcrunch.com/2023/01/18/wikipedia-gets-its-first-makeover-in-over-a-decade-and-its-fairly-subtle/). Subsequently I was unable to use EN web clipper. The hourglass just spins & spins. Able to clip other sites.

Evernote Web Clipper 7.29.2
Chrome Version 109.0.5414.75 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Windows 11 Pro 21H2 (OS build 22000.1219) x64

The key FIX appears to have been simply to remove wikipedia cookies from chrome per  https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop Removed cookies, closed all instances of chrome, reopened chrome, browsed to wikipedia, clipped the article selected. Seems to be FIXED
 - Dan Montague - 

UPDATE 2023-01-24 (a day later): My FIX described above is no longer working. Will continue to monitor and report as appropriate.
Edited by dbm015
UPDATE
  • Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Interesting, seeing the same thing on MS Edge. Too busy/lazy at the moment to do a restart, but the problem seems to be with Wikipedia in "Chrome-based" browsers, not just Chrome itself.

Hmmn.  Confirmed - with or without VPN,  Wikipedia won't allow Clipper to load in Edge.  If you have an issue with this,  I'd say contact Support - Evernote and Wikipedia might have to come to some arrangement.  In the meantime other forms of page grabbing do exist...

Since most of my internet time is editing on Wikipedia, and every time I remove cookies I need to use 2FA to log back in, that would be a pain. Other forms of page grabbing that I can use to add to Evernote? Obviously copy and paste but that's not what I want. But it's fascinating to see how the new Wikipedia skin has affected Evernote.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Doug Weller said:

Other forms of page grabbing that I can use to add to Evernote?

When other stuff fails I use Nimbus Screenshot which produces a PNG file that is then OCR'd by Evernote.  A web search with your OS will generate a ton more options...

23 hours ago, dbm015 said:

UPDATE 2023-01-24 (a day later): My FIX described above is no longer working. Will continue to monitor and report as appropriate.

Opened a support ticket by email, referencing this Community topic. Supplied the details above. Later submitted the requested (partially redacted) activity log.

• Like 3
  • Solution

Evernote support responded to my email ticket within 24-48 hours. Instructions included canned but detailed troubleshooting steps, including removal of all cookies in Chrome, reinstall of Evernote web clipper, etc. Before I was able to take the drastic step of removing all cookies, it looks like the support team, working behind the scenes, fixed the issue.

As of today, 2023-01-31 10:00 EST, upon power up & reboot, Evernote Web Clipper updated itself to version 7.30.0.449-d9c916f. This seems to have fixed the issue. Tested using only one Wikipedia article, but it seems to work for me now. [Windows 11 Chrome, as noted above]

BTW, I noticed that google search returns a link to 

But no evidence in that article of the Fix.

• Like 1