Jump to content
  • 0

What happened to "Conflicted Notes" (NOT AN IDEA! ITS A FEATURE DELETION!)


NoLongerAUser

Idea

Came into work today to find my work pc still awake with some tabs open from yesterday. 

Evernote took it upon itself to sync my outdated note over my properly sync'ed note with out creating a "Conflicted note" today. Just lost a days worth of work and notes.

Has this protective feature been moved to premium or something, or are we just supposed to be coerced into using a paid subscription if we want sync to work as intended?

Link to comment

15 replies to this idea

Recommended Posts

  • 0
56 minutes ago, NoLongerAUser said:

Has this protective feature been moved to premium or something, or are we just supposed to be coerced into using a paid subscription if we want sync to work as intended?

I believe with v10 there is no 'Conflicted Notes' at all regardless of subscription. Instead, you'll get a 'duplicate copy' notification and then the duplicate note will be dumped in the same notebook as the original copy (again, regardless of subscription). So you could search for a duplicate note with an "intitle:TITLE_OF_NOTE" to see if, by chance, you have a duplicate.

If a duplicate note was not created and your good note was blown away with old content, then you could upgrade to Personal for one month to access the Version History feature, restore your note(s) and then downgrade back to Free.

Anyway, bottom line is that sync works the same regardless of subscription, but only Legacy-Premium or Personal and above have access to the Version History.

Link to comment
  • 0

Except it did not create a duplicate or append to the end of the note as it used to. Does that mean this feature has also been stealthily removed? Why are you still telling users this should be the case if this is NOT THE CASE?

So I would have to pay for a month to restore a note, due to a feature being removed for another one. Subsuquently that feature also being turned off, just because?

I am supposed to pay for a premium subscription to fix this? There is no support, I get a "personal offer" multiple times a day, all the while functionality is being hindered.

I guess Evernote has had enough of expecting their customer to be happy with their services...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 0

These replies being users is great, and irrelevant. Problem is the app is not functioning as intended and we have no means to contact anyone who can address it, just fellow users. 

I really do not appreciate extortion and there is no reason to be made to pay for something, because by design the free version is "Not working as intended", and also offers no means of support or ever being resolved.

If I am made to pay for premium, so that I can use this software as intended, due to broken functionality and no support. what is to say premium doesn't break tomorrow an I have to upgrade to extra premium if I want to continue to use?

Also why does no one have an issue with paying a subscription just because the software is broken on purposed and the dev has collapsed support. Seems like a really easy way to stop developing software and still coercing users to pay for a non-functional premium version???

How can you condone paying for premium as a "SOLUTION" to a problem that is elaborately designed to cause this type of situation for users???

Link to comment
  • 0
On 1/17/2023 at 11:04 AM, NoLongerAUser said:

These replies being users is great, and irrelevant.

Sorry, I thought you were looking for help. Now I see you just want to rant. Carry on, then.

Link to comment
  • 0

Its a statement, not a rant. 

I do want help, but you have made it clear, I can only get a workaround from this "Support".

Where I am forced to pay for software that I have no need of a paid variant of, due to it not working. Quite an odd suggestion from someone not on the payroll, I love supporting ignorance, and user extortion.

You (Boot17) have clearly stated this should not happen, a duplicate or conflict should have been created but it was not. I came here to get some visibility for an problem with this software, that I have no other means of getting help or even visibility with. Not to have other users push me to pay a developer for having poorly functional software, and deliberately creating no clear path for support.

Link to comment
  • 0

What about bringing visibility to software not working as intended?

How about not users pushing users to pay for software, that they have no need of premium functionality for...

"Waste their lifetime writing" << May I ask why you even came to comment on this post?

Link to comment
  • 0
2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Oh, more whataboutism.

Simple answer: No.

I have at no point changed the issue here.

I have a problem with the lack of the ability to bring awareness to the software not preforming as intended.

Saying you are becoming less welcome of those that just come here to read and write with no substance, you then proceeded to do exactly what you have a problem with. 

Read someone post, and reply with exhaustion and frustration and not intention of help or support. Your comments in this post are obliviously helpful and appreciated.

Why can I not state something is not working. Why can I not state that being urged to pay for premium because freemium is broken is not okay? Why can I not make a post without criticism and "high level" users taking offense.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 0
  • Level 5
3 hours ago, NoLongerAUser said:

Came into work today to find my work pc still awake with some tabs open from yesterday. 

That is the first sentence of your first thread.

Leaving the client running may have caused whatever problem followed. You don’t mention using another device (or I overlooked it). Maybe you did, maybe not. Something created the problem, that’s one probable explanation.

Now you can solve it most likely, using note history. This requires subscribing - be glad EN runs history in the background for Free accounts as well, they are not obliged to do so.

Or you can go on ranting that life’s not fair to you. May match your emotions, but leads nowhere.

If you can’t decide, toss a coin.

Link to comment
  • 0
  • Level 5
4 hours ago, NoLongerAUser said:

Came into work today to find my work pc still awake with some tabs open from yesterday. 

Evernote took it upon itself to sync my outdated note over my properly sync'ed note with out creating a "Conflicted note" today. Just lost a days worth of work and notes.

Has this protective feature been moved to premium or something, or are we just supposed to be coerced into using a paid subscription if we want sync to work as intended?

There are a couple of missing bits of information here. Did you leave your work computer on, or did it get turned back on overnight through some company-wide IT activity? Was your properly synced updated note on this same work computer or on another device? Was the outdated note on the work computer or another device? I'm speculating here, but if the note was updated and synced on another device, and then the work computer woke back up, I wonder if it's possible that the outdated version there was given a new time stamp and synced, and thus overwrote the updated version.

The key to the whole problem is the work computer being on overnight, especially if the note was edited on another device during that period. It's entirely possible that Evernote operated exactly as expected. I too miss the "conflicted note" feature, but generally when a conflict occurs there is an immediate duplication of the note, and a notification of this to the person who is at the keyboard. It's not easy for that to happen with no one at the computer, but it seems like it did in this case.

Something odd happened overnight, is what this boils down to, it seems to me. That's about the most that the people here taking our own time to offer FREE advice can say.  For $9, you can retrieve the past history of your note (which Evernote created for free), and contact Support to let them know exactly how you feel about having to pay $9. Yelling at people who have told you all that they know about it is not that productive for anyone. Of course, that's only my opinion; but hey, it's free!

Link to comment
  • 0
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

That is the first sentence of your first thread.

Leaving the client running may have caused whatever problem followed. You don’t mention using another device (or I overlooked it). Maybe you did, maybe not. Something created the problem, that’s one probable explanation.

Now you can solve it most likely, using note history. This requires subscribing - be glad EN runs history in the background for Free accounts as well, they are not obliged to do so.

Or you can go on ranting that life’s not fair to you. May match your emotions, but leads nowhere.

If you can’t decide, toss a coin.

That might be how it happened, but never the less, it is still not working as intended.

It should have created a conflict note or appended the changes to the end of the note.

I am well aware life is not fair, but software should work as intended. This is NOT working as intended, that is what SUPPORT is for.

I have no need of premium features as long as they make sure their freemium software works as intended. Please stop suggesting users start a premium subscription so they are entitled to use the software as intended. Evernote needs to address their faulty software.

 

Link to comment
  • 0
1 minute ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

There are a couple of missing bits of information here. Did you leave your work computer on, or did it get turned back on overnight through some company-wide IT activity? Was your properly synced updated note on this same work computer or on another device? Was the outdated note on the work computer or another device? I'm speculating here, but if the note was updated and synced on another device, and then the work computer woke back up, I wonder if it's possible that the outdated version there was given a new time stamp and synced, and thus overwrote the updated version.

The key to the whole problem is the work computer being on overnight, especially if the note was edited on another device during that period. It's entirely possible that Evernote operated exactly as expected. I too miss the "conflicted note" feature, but generally when a conflict occurs there is an immediate duplication of the note, and a notification of this to the person who is at the keyboard. It's not easy for that to happen with no one at the computer, but it seems like it did in this case.

Something odd happened overnight, is what this boils down to, it seems to me. That's about the most that the people here taking our own time to offer FREE advice can say.  For $9, you can retrieve the past history of your note (which Evernote created for free), and contact Support to let them know exactly how you feel about having to pay $9. Yelling at people who have told you all that they know about it is not that productive for anyone. Of course, that's only my opinion; but hey, it's free!

No one employed by Evernote or not should be urging users to pay for software so they can use it as it should be working. Its a slippery slope. Why keep premium working tomorrow if I could pay for super premium to get premium to work???

I am just upset that this turns into a tornado of feelings, with no support being offered, and no part being made by Evernote to keep track of or keep their software functional. This is also a non-functional replacement for support, I am coming to get the expectation from Evernote.

This company does not deserve another 9$, because their web interface goof'ed up.

Their software is not working as intended and they clearly could care less about it. Sync'ing has been a thing for far more than a decade, its intent was to keep this from happening and it has worked great for quite some time, but why keep it working if we could charge users instead?

Link to comment
  • 0
  • Level 5

Support is restricted to users who pay their part of the show. Unless you make out somebody with a STAFF badge you are talking to other users here - not paid, and within the forum rules we are free to say what we feel is appropriate. 

We are old enough (well, most of us) that we know that things can go wrong. Fortunately with note history many things can be corrected. 

You are free to decide to use that option, or you don’t.

What we don’t need is somebody believing he is entitled to steal fellow users time and contributions just because he is unable to take a simple decision: Subscribe for a month to get a valuable additional service, or forget about it and live on without.

As I said, if taking decisions is something hard to hack, flip a coin.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 0
  • Level 5
  1. None of us here actually knows whether the software worked as intended. It would help if you answered the requests for more information about how many devices were involved. If the answer is >1, then Evernote may well have worked exactly as intended.
  2. "no part being made by Evernote to keep track of or keep their software functional": That is a very sweeping statement based on a single incident. Evernote puts out updates to its software on a frequent basis, precisely in order to keep it functional and help it function better.
  3. "their web interface goof'ed up": This happened in the Web client, not the desktop app? Then perhaps some hiccup in the browser is at fault (and again, how did the computer come to be on all night?).
  4. Why should Evernote work for free at all? They are not selling your usage data, searches, timeline, etc., like Google. They have no income but from paying users.
  5. "tornado of feelings": You asked a question, someone answered you factually, and you responded with outrage. An old saying about sowing the wind and reaping the whirlwind comes to mind....
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...