Annoying notification about account upgrade

Everytime I start Evernote, I receive a notification that there is a rebate on an upgrade to Professional. Receiving that notification once might be alright, even though I'm a paying member and have opted out from newsletters, but receiving it everytime is harassment.

If this doesn't stop, I will have to leave Evernote and go for Microsoft's OneNote. Your service isn't irreplacable.

• Like 3
  • Level 5

What @agsteele said: we're other users here, with -0- influence over Evernote's marketing. Since you do have a paid account, you can open a support ticket here: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Lots of people have posted about this in the forums lately. If they all complain to Evernote support, something might actually get done; at least Evernote will be able to gauge the depth of the annoyance.

• Like 1

I'm not against a company advertising an upsell if there is a cut price promotion, what I am against is being shown this in multiple different ways in multiple places multiple times.... ONCE is enough! Never seen this type of spam in MANY years of using Evernote (started April 2010 according to the "Welcome to Evernote" note still in the initial notebook created).

I'm generally laid back but promo's were showing up all over including my note list.  Got frustrated and started a support ticket.  Their answer was "sorry, can't do anything about it and it will continue to show up until the promotional period ends".  😒

• Sad 2
  • 5 weeks later...

Been a paid user since 2008 and these promo popups annoys the heck out of me as well. 

I could accept it maybe once, regardless if I have opt-in to marketing or not, but how it came sooo many times was really annoying.

Yes, this might be a user-to-user forum (but I'm sure somebody at Evernote is reading here (or at least they should!), and in the old days they also replied), but even so, I think it's fine to warn potential new paying customers that even though they pay, they should be prepared for regular discount/upgrade offers during promotions...

After the first few times I started wondering if they are running out of money or something since they so aggressively push upgrades on already paying customers, and actually made me consider finding an alternative before they shut down. I hope it's just some overly ambitious marketing-person trying to make their quarterly bonus that's the reason behind the pushy promotions, and not because the company is in a bad shape financially. 

• Level 5

We have no indication that the forum is closely observed by EN staff.

You can use the feedback function of the app, or issue a support ticket.

My strategy is to click to accept on the initial page of the popup, then break it off on the next. For me they don‘t come back.

Not monitoring the forums to some degree seems weirdly out of touch with your customers. I don't think that's the case, even if they don't actively participate. Unless they've become a company that's outsourcing customer support overseas and no longer have anybody that takes pride and responsibility in the product/service that they provide. It happens. But let's hope not.

Thanks for sharing your strategy. It shouldn't be necessary to "game" a marketing campaign just to avoid getting it. But I guess it's a workaround.

• Level 5
7 hours ago, MrTT said:

Not monitoring the forums to some degree seems weirdly out of touch with your customers.

3 hours ago, MrTT said:

My "your" was not meant at you, but at the company mentioned.  I guess you could replace it with "ones" instead.

A classic use of the idiomatic English "you" meaning, indeed, "one," quite impenetrable to speakers of rational languages like German. ;)

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Laughing at "German as a rational language". Explain the way Germans speak numbers above twelve to anybody, and repeat "rational".

😅

The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets 40 rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it.

image.png.ffc09e1c1d0b4143b4c136be13040ae3.png

• Haha 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/10/2023 at 2:45 PM, PinkElephant said:

Did you tell „them“ you felt annoyed ? Because if you didn’t, „they“ won’t know.

Personally I hardly see any on my paid account. On the Free, nagging is to be expected.

I don't get the "they" reference, sorry. Is it a joke?

11 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

AE152C82-3AE3-4B2E-87A7-78F643B19B4D.thumb.jpeg.1ee3bd295510677a87b2e3246db1ab2d.jpeg
„They“ maybe should watch the forum, but as far as we can observe it, „they“ won’t. To tell „them“ you are annoyed (as other users report as well), you need to send feedback, or a support ticket.

I agree with you, and I did leave them feedback. I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out why you're obsessing about the word "they".

20 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Point is (somewhat elliptically made), these are user to user forums, and basically we don't know any more about (or have any more control over) these notifications than any other user.

Ah okay. Yeah I understand how user forums work. It was a general question to paid EN users asking if they still get constantly pestered to upgrade. I wasn't expecting any kind of insider info.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

If we users don't communicate our opinion, the guys in marketing maybe still believe they are geniuses, and their strategy works.

My personal strategy is to click on the first page to accept, and on the second to break it off. Usually the ad won't come back.

• Like 1