Highlight Search Term Location in Scroll Bar (PDF & NOTES)

Doug Calderone

Idea

Long time evernote user here. When the new evernote launched it left behind one feature I rely on daily. Been running legacy evernote side by side with the new version for years now.

Searching PDFs is the only feature that won't allow me to uninstall the legacy evernote. 

As shown in my image, search terms should automatically be highlighted throughout the pdf instead of having to do ctrl+f after clicking into the note. 

Search term locations should be marked in the scroll bar. 1595184007_EvernoteSearch.thumb.png.2b6c6f9f2ddf63073e03570c97b3b043.png

This allows users to search a large database of PDFs or long notes and quickly get to the location of that term. You may be searching hundreds of pdfs/notes looking for an exact write-up and the highlights in the scroll bar allow you to quickly get to the location, see if that was what you were looking for. If it isn't you can go to the next note/pdf and check that one quickly. 

• Like 1

5 replies to this idea

• Evernote Expert

When I search inside Evernote. Any matching term in a PDF is highlighted.

In this example I searched for Gale Way. It found a bus time timetable with lots of different 'Way's included but as you can see - all are highlighted.

image.thumb.png.4eee7fcf0e94f3c3d251da3ef2ae6d76.png

2 hours ago, agsteele said:

And if you search for some text, and then press ctrl+F within a found note, the find fileld is automatically populated with the search term, allowing you to quickly cycle through the found items

On 1/13/2023 at 2:07 PM, agsteele said:

In this example I searched for Gale Way. It found a bus time timetable with lots of different 'Way's included but as you can see - all are highlighted.

image.thumb.png.4eee7fcf0e94f3c3d251da3ef2ae6d76.png

Nope that is not how it works for me, Not sure if it's because your pdf is one page and mine are mostly all over 50+ pages. Can only get the term highlighted in pdf if I do ctrl+f within the note (an extra step).

• Evernote Expert

Sorry to hear that your experience is different. 

Yes, the example I shared is a single page because my multiple page PDFs all have personal information in them which I don't want to place in a public space. I did see the highlighting on larger documents.

Have you tried opening a support ticket? Also you could rebuild your local data which I think fixes some indexing for searches.