I am an Evernote newbie but it was working well.....until today. Now when I try to use my camera to add a picture to a note the app crashes. Uninstall / reinstall hasn't changed anything. Any suggestions. Thanks. 

I don't have a fix, but I just wanted to say that I am having the same problem on a Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro running Android 11. I last successfully used the document scanner on Thursday or Friday. As of today, I can't make it work, so it's not just you Sport005. I have issued a support ticket and will update here when I get a response. 

Ever notes is automatically closing ,crashing if I am opening camera in a note to take picture. I tried to uninstall & reinstall app & reboot my mobile many times but it's not working. I am using latest version of Evernote app ( 10.46 ) on my android mobile with MIUI Global 13.0.2 stable OS. Please resolve this issue .

Hi. I have the same problem. As sooon as you want to take a picture (doing a scan), you see the word "capturing" and the entire app is frozen. I raised a ticket. They told me send the log file and screen shte. Did not help. Then they asked me to delete everythig and install the app again. I also restarated the phone. Re-installed everything. It still does not work. Further, the  normal text search sometimes also froze my app.

I think there is a major issue with the version 10.46. Let's wait for Versoion 10.47.

8 minutes ago, mirayong said:

Are you still looking for a solution to this problem?

Yes, I am. Got an email from tech support today saying they thought they'd fixed it and asking me to uninstall, reinstall and try again. Same problem. Fix made no difference unfortunately. 

• Evernote Expert

A bug fix release of Android app is expected soon.  You may need to await that being certain whether the issue persists.

Xiaomi Redmi devices have a long history of crashes when using the camera. In the past a solution has been to uninstall the Android System Webview application which rolls it back to the original version for the phone, clearing its cache and memory. Then reboot the device and allow it to be reinstalled. Settings / Apps / App management Empty the storage and then click the three dot menu and uninstall updates. (I'm running Android 13 - exact menus will vary depending on the version of Android).

So it will probably not do any harm to try that. I have to give the usual disclaimers about trying at your own risk.

You could also try asking in Xiaomi forums.  This certainly seems to be hardware specific.  Neither I nor my daughter have this issue with our Android devices.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, agsteele said:

A bug fix release of Android app is expected soon.  You may need to await that being certain whether the issue persists.

Xiaomi Redmi devices have a long history of crashes when using the camera. In the past a solution has been to uninstall the Android System Webview application which rolls it back to the original version for the phone, clearing its cache and memory. Then reboot the device and allow it to be reinstalled. Settings / Apps / App management Empty the storage and then click the three dot menu and uninstall updates. (I'm running Android 13 - exact menus will vary depending on the version of Android).

So it will probably not do any harm to try that. I have to give the usual disclaimers about trying at your own risk.

You could also try asking in Xiaomi forums.  This certainly seems to be hardware specific.  Neither I nor my daughter have this issue with our Android devices.

I am also pretty sure it is Xiaomi specific. Having reconstructed the timeline of when this issue first arose, I am almost certain it was triggered by the latest MIUI update (which was from Oct 22, I think, but which I only installed recently). Prior to that I had never had any issues with the camera crashing Evernote (or any other app). I have emailed tech support to let them know that too.

I think I will wait for the next Evernote update for Android and see if that helps. If it doesn't, I will try the fix you suggested. (Thanks for that, by the way). 

For now I have a relatively acceptable workaround using Microsoft Lens to scan docs and then share to Evernote, so I'm prepared to be patient and wait for the update. Fingers crossed!  

Same here on Xiaomi POCO F2 Pro at latest software levels (Android 12 / MIUI113.0.8.0, EN 10.46).

Suggested workaround wrt System WebView did not the trick for me, unfortunately.

Waiting for an EN bug fix along with the rest of the Xiaomi / Evernote community 🤞🏻.

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Since it seems to be restricted to Xiaomi phones, I think you should rather raise hell with the device manufacturer.

This makes perfectly sense on one hand. On the other hand, this misbehaviour appeared all of a sudden, that is, it did work one day and stopped working the next day. This was 1~2 weeks ago, and there was no Xiaomi/Android/MIUI nor an Evernote software update. Can't say for sure regarding Android System WebView, though.

After all, some combination of software components must have changed, which broke the Evernote camera access. No other installed app is facing this kind of problem.

• Evernote Expert
3 hours ago, Jose Luis Bellon aquilera said:

I keep waiting. Uninstall Android to its original and then reinstall. I dont have time for that man. And I can lose data. If you dont fix it I think this will be my last year with Evernote. I need that camera for taking notes on books I read and I have to quote later in articles or lectures.

Other Xiaomi users say that working with Microsoft Lens is a way around this issue until it is resolved. I would recommend Camscanner. I'm sure that there are other options. Whichever you choose, open that app and capture the document and then share it with Evernote. It should work just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Have same issue with Xiaomi Redmi note 8 pro. Image freeze within one second after entering the app.

Was considering upgrading my subscription plan but I’m not sure anymore as I will be lacking OCR features of Evernote. Im talking about The auto mode feature in the photo evernote app, where it says "try to scan documents, whiteboards and...".

Xiaomi is probably one of the most popular brand in my country (France). We need a fix.

We expect Evernote to work accross devices, at least the main brands, especially now that you are raising the prices of subscription.

PS : tried without success : erasing local data, uninstall/reinstall evernote. The other apps that use the camera don't have any issues.

• Level 5

Read through the thread: This is an issue that seems to be caused by an update by Xiaomi to the camera function of the Xiaomi smartphones. 

You can talk here and threaten what you want in the direction of EN - the problem was caused by Xiaomi, and it must be solved by Xiaomi. Other brands seem not to know the issue.

So better get in contact with your smartphone vendor. They broke it, they need to fix it.

• Level 5

It still looks like an issue restricted to specific hardware. To look into it Support should get your ticket, generated on the phone with the problem, created after such a crash. On the phone an activity log will be attached that tells the devs more about what happened.

• Level 5
20 hours ago, Alxa said:

The app regularly hangs on camera capturing on my Samsung devices as well. It is a bug they introduced with 10.46 I think. Hope the new devs will bring more quality to the Android app.

Clearly a number of people are having this problem, but it's not universal. Evernote 10.46 on my Samsung S22 takes pictures to add as attachments without problems. Because the problem is not universal (I do not know whether it is very widespread), Evernote will have a harder time fixing it. It would be best for everyone who experiences it to report it directly to Evernote support, so they can get an idea what's going on: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Evernote Expert

Download the apk file from a service such as apkmirror. Uninstall the current version of Evernote then install from the apk.  As soon as it is installed be sure to tell Google's Play Store not to update Evernote otherwise it will, in due course, get updated to v10.48 again.

Be sure to raise a support ticket to alert the Evernote tech support to the issue for you.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Update: my camera crashing issue is resolved and the photo/scan note-taking function is now working again. My Evernote has updated to version 10.49.1 and that seems to have fixed the problem. Glad to have the scan function back. 👍🏼

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...