Interface question: green circle

Go to solution Solved by Boot17,

This might be a dumb question, but I never got the memo what the little green circles mean and when you click on them nothing happens so I cannot find out what they are for. Given Evernote’s inability to prevent sync errors it might relate to sync but then, notes that are fully synced appear there. Thanks!

83550A5E-6D82-4D63-9578-30EE8C504CA9.jpeg

• Solution

It's an offline availability status indicator. (You can't interact with it.)

Edit: You can make individual notes available offline now as well as entire notebooks. If you swipe to the left on the note in the note list and click the '...' you'll see how you can make it available offline. You can also access that menu from the '...' in the individual note.

From: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005177-Set-up-offline-notes-and-notebooks-on-mobile-devices

image.png.0c3b000624e9fab0f465cf90feea1f84.png

• Level 5

There are 3 possibilities: Spinning green circle - waiting for download; filling solid green - currently downloading; grey - downloaded.

I would avoid the „download all“ option. It still has a problem to find it’s own priorities. Switching one notebook after the other to „offline“ is still the best way, and it got way faster than it used to be.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2023 at 4:15 AM, PinkElephant said:

There are 3 possibilities: Spinning green circle - waiting for download; filling solid green - currently downloading; grey - downloaded.

I would avoid the „download all“ option. It still has a problem to find it’s own priorities. Switching one notebook after the other to „offline“ is still the best way, and it got way faster than it used to be.

Thank you helping me out.

• Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, tejenkins said:

I have 100s of notes from the past several years that are still "in line."  How can I get them to d/l?  (Overall, it seems that performance on my iPad has come to a very slow, very unreliable, very unstable experience)

I think you are asking how can I export these notes and keep for the future and then remove them...

The best option is to do this via a desktop app or the web browser.  Move all the notes you wish to export and delete into a new Notebook. Open that notebook and click on the menu option in the Notebook and choose Export and then choose ENEX format.  (You could, if you prefer, export to HTML but this isn't so easily imported back into Evernote in the future. But it is easier to read these exported notes in a web browser).

Once you have completed the export you can then delete the Notebook containing these exported notes.

Note, however, if you are a Free plan user all the moves will count against your monthly limits. 

5 minutes ago, agsteele said:

I think you are asking how can I export these notes and keep for the future and then remove them...

The best option is to do this via a desktop app or the web browser.  Move all the notes you wish to export and delete into a new Notebook. Open that notebook and click on the menu option in the Notebook and choose Export and then choose ENEX format.  (You could, if you prefer, export to HTML but this isn't so easily imported back into Evernote in the future. But it is easier to read these exported notes in a web browser).

Once you have completed the export you can then delete the Notebook containing these exported notes.

Note, however, if you are a Free plan user all the moves will count against your monthly limits. 

What I'm really asking is how can I get ALL of my notes in a specific notebook to be available offline (on my iPad) instead of just some.  I have the notebook marked to be available offline and many, many notes have become available offline.  But, there are still hundreds (some old/some newer) that have the arrow with the green circle.  I've tried removing the app from my iPad and reinstalling, but I have the same issue.

• Evernote Expert

OK.  Sorry that I misunderstood.  You can select which notes/notebooks are made available offline.  Settings / Offline

Be warned, however, selecting large numbers of notes for offline use takes a significant amount of time to process.

2 hours ago, agsteele said:

OK.  Sorry that I misunderstood.  You can select which notes/notebooks are made available offline.  Settings / Offline

Be warned, however, selecting large numbers of notes for offline use takes a significant amount of time to process.

I understand that I can select which notes/notebooks can be made available offline. My point is that I've selected a specific notebook I'd like to have available offline and not all of the notes have been made available off line.  I can see notes from today that are both available and not available.  Same with notes from last week.  Last month. Last year. 2021.  100s of them in a notebook with about 2,500 notes.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app from my iPad.  I've "reindicated" to Evernote to make the notebook available offline.  I have the same result (although I don't know if it is the exact same notes that aren't being made available.

1 minute ago, agsteele said:

I'm not convinced that the offline process is reliable. I don't have experience of iOS so cannot say how will it works with that OS.

Looks like it isn't.  Previously, I hadn't had this problem.  I'm not sure when it started.  It just makes it harder to work as I can't access some of my notes when not connected to the internet and even if connected, at times the response time for pulling back a note is poor.

• Level 5

Every time you uninstall, you dump all local data, and start from scratch again. This is counterproductive.

You can select single notes for offline use since some updates, but if you want to go by notebooks, here is how:

Open the EN app on the iOS device, open the "Offline access" in the app settings. Selects a few notebooks - "All In" still didn't work last time I tried.

Now go to iOS settings, Display & Brightness, and turn the autolockscreen OFF. Keep the EN in the foreground - once it is not the active app any more, it will stop downloading after a little time. Best is to do this over the night, turn the screen brightness down to low, and put the iOS device to a charger.

Let----it----run - it will take hours or even longer, depending on the size of the notebooks and the internet connection. Once a notebook has completed, select the next one.

When you have downloaded everything step by step, you can turn the "All notebooks" on. It will keep up with downloading changes usually while you use the app normally.

And yes, this is still a PITA. And no, I don't know any other way to perform a dead sure download on iOS / mobile.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Every time you uninstall, you dump all local data, and start from scratch again. This is counterproductive.

You can select single notes for offline use since some updates, but if you want to go by notebooks, here is how:

Open the EN app on the iOS device, open the "Offline access" in the app settings. Selects a few notebooks - "All In" still didn't work last time I tried.

Now go to iOS settings, Display & Brightness, and turn the autolockscreen OFF. Keep the EN in the foreground - once it is not the active app any more, it will stop downloading after a little time. Best is to do this over the night, turn the screen brightness down to low, and put the iOS device to a charger.

Let----it----run - it will take hours or even longer, depending on the size of the notebooks and the internet connection. Once a notebook has completed, select the next one.

When you have downloaded everything step by step, you can turn the "All notebooks" on. It will keep up with downloading changes usually while you use the app normally.

And yes, this is still a PITA. And no, I don't know any other way to perform a dead sure download on iOS / mobile.

Well this really stinks.  (And I realize that when I dump, I'm starting over again.)  And in the past it wasn't an issue.  Unfortunately, I can't turn off the lock screen unless I remove some of my apps that connect to my work environment.  Overall, I've grown increasingly frustrated with EN.  The iPad app crashes at least 1/3 of the time I use it.  I really don't need any more features.  I just crave stability and smooth linking across environments (Remember when you could force a sync and see the status?  Ah, the glory days)

• Level 5

You can still force a sync and see the status (on mobile). And my iPad app doesn't crash, usually. If it does this is what EN tells you about it:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/217930798

Hope they get this sorted out one day.

About offline download: In the former iOS app it was not really faster to download. And when v10 launched, it was nightmarish, took me more than 4 days for a full download. With the latest release, the same took me from the morning 'til afternoon. I kept the iPad at my desk, and tapped it from time to time, to see how it goes. Better, still not good.