Windows Client version 10.50.10-win-ddl-public (3842)

Evernote Windows client keeps getting slower & slower with every update?  To ALT+Tab to switch between 2 programs to copy & past text takes on average 30-60 sec before I can past & see the text.  Is there any know fix for this?  

It is sad that I must use the web UI to do a less than 5 min update to a note.

8 minutes ago, JZiegler said:

Evernote Windows client keeps getting slower & slower with every update?  To ALT+Tab to switch between 2 programs to copy & past text takes on average 30-60 sec before I can past & see the text.  Is there any know fix for this?  

It is sad that I must use the web UI to do a less than 5 min update to a note.

On my windows client 10.50.10  it's instantly...

1 hour ago, JZiegler said:

Is the code on GitHub so it can be debugged?  I am assuming it is reaching out to Evernote every time.

I tried with unplugged network as well and it still switches and copy-pastes instantly.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, JZiegler said:

Is the code on GitHub so it can be debugged?  I am assuming it is reaching out to Evernote every time.

Even if it was, are you saying that you'd download the code, get it all set up on your machine so that you can build it and run it locally so you can step through it to see why it appears to be behaving slowly on your machine?

Surely there are easier and quicker ways to troubleshoot the problem than all that.

FWIW - I use Evernote v10 on an 8+ year old PC and there is absolutely no delay when Alt-Tabbing away from, or to, Evernote or copy and pasting. (I also run it on Win 11 on a 4+ year old PC with no delay -- it's screaming fast.)

11 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

Even if it was, are you saying that you'd download the code, get it all set up on your machine so that you can build it and run it locally so you can step through it to see why it appears to be behaving slowly on your machine?

Surely there are easier and quicker ways to troubleshoot the problem than all that.

FWIW - I use Evernote v10 on an 8+ year old PC and there is absolutely no delay when Alt-Tabbing away from, or to, Evernote or copy and pasting. (I also run it on Win 11 on a 4+ year old PC with no delay -- it's screaming fast.)

Yes, I have VS2022 & use it every day.  Or can download Eclipse but have not worked with WebShere in a few years.  Or does it support log4Net or log4j?

22 minutes ago, JZiegler said:

Yes, I have VS2022 & use it every day.  Or can download Eclipse but have not worked with WebShere in a few years.  Or does it support log4Net or log4j?

Obviously, as @Pink already stated, it's not open source and available for anyone to tinker with. (And whether Evernote Devs use GitHub internally is altogether a different question.)

Websphere is a Java web application server. Are you thinking you are going to install the full-fledged Evernote backend on your local machine running Websphere? Log4Net is a .NET logging library. Log4j is a Java logging library. The Evernote v10 Windows client is built with Javascript and runs in the Electron framework. It sounds like you are a little bit familiar with programming, but I think this is way bigger than you can imagine.

Regardless and Again: Surely there are easier and quicker ways to troubleshoot the problem than all that. If you are capable of debugging programs, then surely you should also know that there are many different things that one can try to troubleshoot an issue. Uninstall (and use something like Revo Uninstaller: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/143741-update-from-10396-fails-since-uninstall-not-possible/), reinstall, clear cache, try a different machine, etc.

You can also submit a ticket to Evernote and they'll ask you to generate a log file that you can then attach in a ticket to them.

Edit: Besides, with the comments so far, surely you can see this is most likely a problem with your own machine.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Often a delay on starting up or during operations is a sign of a corrupted local database. For a fresh download on Windows:

1. Go to File > Sign Out [name] from the menu bar.
  2. Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click Sign out.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Sign back in to Evernote. Keep the app open while it downloads your notes from the server.

2 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

Obviously, as @Pink already stated, it's not open source and available for anyone to tinker with. (And whether Evernote Devs use GitHub internally is altogether a different question.)

Websphere is a Java web application server. Are you thinking you are going to install the full-fledged Evernote backend on your local machine running Websphere? Log4Net is a .NET logging library. Log4j is a Java logging library. The Evernote v10 Windows client is built with Javascript and runs in the Electron framework. It sounds like you are a little bit familiar with programming, but I think this is way bigger than you can imagine.

Regardless and Again: Surely there are easier and quicker ways to troubleshoot the problem than all that. If you are capable of debugging programs, then surely you should also know that there are many different things that one can try to troubleshoot an issue. Uninstall (and use something like Revo Uninstaller: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/143741-update-from-10396-fails-since-uninstall-not-possible/), reinstall, clear cache, try a different machine, etc.

You can also submit a ticket to Evernote and they'll ask you to generate a log file that you can then attach in a ticket to them.

How do I submit a ticket?