Need the ability to insert tasks into a table within a note

I create a daily journal note each day, that is basically a table with a new row for each hour. I use it to jot down brief notes and keep track of activities throughout the day (Sample attached) 

During any given hour (row within the table): 

• If a meeting or activity occurs that warrants a separate note, I can insert a link to that note at the point in the calendar when it occurred.
  • If a phone conversation or an informal check-in meeting with a staff member that does not warrant a separate note and there is a follow up action required, that's where I want to capture it. 

However, in Evernote for Mac if the cursor is placed within a cell in a table (e.g.; the 10:00 a.m. row), the option to create a task there is not available: 

• CMD-T only creates a task in the default tasks note (e.g.; "Things To Do")
  • The "Task" option is greyed out and unavailable under the insert button (+)
  • The New > Task only creates a task in the default tasks note (e.g.; "Things To Do")

I understand that I can create a checklist item - but there is no way to view all "open" checklist items across all my notes (analogous to what can be done with Tasks) to ensure tasks don't get forgotten or left undone. 

Sample Daily Journal Note - Evernote.pdf

• Level 5*

HI.  You posted this in 'possible bugs' rather than feature requests,  and I can confirm that the same applies in Windows as well as Macs - Tasks do not want to sit in tables.

(I'm guessing that's a coding issue - tables are presumably HTML where Tasks are... different.)

So this is not a bug it is (currently) a design choice - if you'd like this thread moved to a general Feature Request forum where others can show support by voting on it,  I can do that for you.

Meantime this seems a 'nice to have' apparently affecting your and my workflows - not much incentive for Evernote to use up resources to make it better.  Can't see the situation changing anytime soon so workarounds R us.  I just split my tables into lots of single rows and paste the related task below the relevant row.  Works for me...

Thanks for the response. And I would appreciate your assistance in moving my post to the "Feature Request" forum.

I imagined that this would never be a "on top of everyone's list" issue, and share your view that it is unlikely to be a priority or get addressed anytime soon.

And your workaround (split the table) is a good one. Wish I had thought of it myself. 

• Like 2

Here is probably "the" thread for a feature request to support Tasks in tables:

An Evernote staffer mentioned that "The ability to put tasks in tables is on our roadmap"... but that was over a year ago and sometimes we all go down different roads than what was planned.... (meaning it might never happen even though that comment was made.)

• Like 2
  • 6 months later...