Jump to content

Price Increase for Legacy Subscription


Recommended Posts

It’s been one disappointment after another with Evernote and their price increases, with no commensurate addition of features.   First, they rollout a new subscription platform and take away key features from Premium only to shift them to a more expensive option.  Today, I received notification that the legacy Premium price is increasing by 42% to $63.99/year.  That is an insane price increase especially when there are so many alternatives that are arguably better than the Evernote product offering.   So after 13 years as a loyal customer, I’ll be saying goodbye on January 26th, 2023 when my current subscription ends.   

32DD46E7-A192-40DE-884E-785C5005D414.jpeg

Edited by rbbcpa
Photo attachment
Link to comment
  • Level 5*

Hi.  That seems to be a generic pricing advisory,  not what you personally would be charged  next year.  But if it is,  ad you decide that $5 per month is way too much to pay for access to Support and much higher storage limits,  then I can only sympathise.  Hope you're happy with your next choice of note-taking functionality.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Level 5

Yay, another announcement in the public square of someone leaving Evernote! If this is supposed to be a complaint to Evernote, this is not a useful place to make it. The forums are user to user; as a paying subscriber you can create a support ticket (https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new) and tell Evernote directly. If it is a warning to other users, well, they were likely to find out on their own and in plenty of time anyway. If it's a request for help and advice, which is what the forums are for, there's really nothing other users can do to help.

In the least-likely case that it's an invitation to offer our opinions, mine is that Evernote's only mistake was to leave it underpriced for so long, and especially to grandfather in outmoded pricing structures. Hence what appears as "price increases, with no commensurate addition of features" is, in my view, actually a lack of price increase at the time many new features were added with the changeover to v. 10 -- a bumpy process, to be sure, but one which gradually led to a more consistent interface and features across devices and platforms, and added features like the home page, tasks, etc., before any significant price increase.

Oh, and by the way there's inflation and supply chain issues raising costs on everything for everyone around the world. Evernote can't escape that either.

Of course, the new interface, home page, tasks, Google Calendar linkage, improved filtering and searching, etc., may not be anything you need enough to be willing to pay what they're worth. In which case, bon voyage, enjoy whatever app you land on, hope it works well for you. But, thunderous as it must seem to each of the person or two who make these announcements from day to day, anyone's leaving Evernote is not a matter of widespread interest among other users.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment

 

1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Yay, another announcement in the public square of someone leaving Evernote! If this is supposed to be a complaint to Evernote, this is not a useful place to make it. The forums are user to user; as a paying subscriber you can create a support ticket (https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new) and tell Evernote directly. If it is a warning to other users, well, they were likely to find out on their own and in plenty of time anyway. If it's a request for help and advice, which is what the forums are for, there's really nothing other users can do to help.

In the least-likely case that it's an invitation to offer our opinions, mine is that Evernote's only mistake was to leave it underpriced for so long, and especially to grandfather in outmoded pricing structures. Hence what appears as "price increases, with no commensurate addition of features" is, in my view, actually a lack of price increase at the time many new features were added with the changeover to v. 10 -- a bumpy process, to be sure, but one which gradually led to a more consistent interface and features across devices and platforms, and added features like the home page, tasks, etc., before any significant price increase.

Oh, and by the way there's inflation and supply chain issues raising costs on everything for everyone around the world. Evernote can't escape that either.

Of course, the new interface, home page, tasks, Google Calendar linkage, improved filtering and searching, etc., may not be anything you need enough to be willing to pay what they're worth. In which case, bon voyage, enjoy whatever app you land on, hope it works well for you. But, thunderous as it must seem to each of the person or two who make these announcements from day to day, anyone's leaving Evernote is not a matter of widespread interest among other users.

Hi "Dave-in-Decatur" - 

  1. As a subscriber to Evernote since 2010, I have earned the right to voice my frustrations on a forum such as this (i.e. look up the definition of "forum" and use some imagination in applying that definition here),
  2. It is the least-likely case that I was seeking your opinion; however, since you offered it up I will respond.  I strenuously disagree with your assertion that the previous pricing structure was outmoded.  Outmoded compared to what?  Similarly situated note-taking platforms and/or other SAAS?  I don't think so.  There is something seriously wrong with the pricing paradigm at at Evernote when I look at the other productivity apps that I subscribe to (e.g. PDF Expert, Spark, Calendars Pro, Photoshop Express Photo Editor, Notability, even Apple One) and Evernote is 2x the price of the most expensive of these other apps.  At least when Spark (Readdle) introduced their subscription model, after a very long period of time during which the app was free, they offered existing users a lifetime 30% discount on their annual subscription.  Additionally, they listened to their user base and removed a paywall for a feature that was previously free.  Evernote has done nothing to reward customer loyalty or even curry some degree of customer loyalty with their pricing plans.  In my opinion, this was a lost opportunity that will drive more users to alternatives,
  3. I am fully aware of inflation and supply chain issues, but a 42% increase in my annual price (from $44.99 to $63.99) is not reasonable or commensurate with the features offered by other apps.  Factor in the pervasive and known security issues (my employer, a fortune 50 energy company, refuses to support it because of security concerns) and there is no way I am going to pay a penny more for this app.
  4. Refer back to point 1.  The only one attempting to communicate in a "thunderous" way is you, and I am sure you gain a lot of satisfaction, cloaked in the anonymity of your 4,022 posts, LVL 5, and 1,785 reputation score, from trolling the Evernote forums looking to spew your vitriol.  
  5. In the time I responded to your post, I have exported my 5,000+ notes spread across 10 notebooks into OneNote.  I am already impressed with the seamless integration with MS Office and OneDrive...
  • Like 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  That seems to be a generic pricing advisory,  not what you personally would be charged  next year.  But if it is,  ad you decide that $5 per month is way too much to pay for access to Support and much higher storage limits,  then I can only sympathise.  Hope you're happy with your next choice of note-taking functionality.

It is not a generic price advisory.  I attached a screenshot of the subscription price from my iPhone.  Seems pretty definitive to me.

 

3 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  That seems to be a generic pricing advisory,  not what you personally would be charged  next year.  But if it is,  ad you decide that $5 per month is way too much to pay for access to Support and much higher storage limits,  then I can only sympathise.  Hope you're happy with your next choice of note-taking functionality.

 

Link to comment
4 hours ago, rbbcpa said:

In the time I responded to your post, I have exported my 5,000+ notes spread across 10 notebooks into OneNote.  I am already impressed with the seamless integration with MS Office and OneDrive...

What import tool have you used? Have you lost any (meta) info during the process?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Evernote Expert

Legacy Premium and Plus are subject to an increase in price at the next renewal. 

The truth is that this is the first increase in many years. Evernote would, in my view, have been much wiser to have an annual increase in line with inflation on all subscription prices. I don't doubt that the price would then have been more than the proposed new price.

But if the new price isn't value for a user then, of course, you move on or drop to Free.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
5 hours ago, eric99 said:

What import tool have you used? Have you lost any (meta) info during the process?

I downloaded the legacy OneNote importer back in March, and that’s what I used.  Unfortunately, MS removed it from their OneNote site.   Of the ~5,000 notes I imported, only 30 lost some information due to handwritten elements in the them.  

Link to comment
3 hours ago, rbbcpa said:

I downloaded the legacy OneNote importer back in March, and that’s what I used.  Unfortunately, MS removed it from their OneNote site.   Of the ~5,000 notes I imported, only 30 lost some information due to handwritten elements in the them.  

Good to know that there is a EN alternative but out of curiosity I  installed One Note again  and it seems even more bloated  and counter intuitive than before, no dark theme either...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Level 5
20 hours ago, rbbcpa said:

 

Hi "Dave-in-Decatur" - 

  1. As a subscriber to Evernote since 2010, I have earned the right to voice my frustrations on a forum such as this (i.e. look up the definition of "forum" and use some imagination in applying that definition here),
  2. It is the least-likely case that I was seeking your opinion; however, since you offered it up I will respond.  I strenuously disagree with your assertion that the previous pricing structure was outmoded.  Outmoded compared to what?  Similarly situated note-taking platforms and/or other SAAS?  I don't think so.  There is something seriously wrong with the pricing paradigm at at Evernote when I look at the other productivity apps that I subscribe to (e.g. PDF Expert, Spark, Calendars Pro, Photoshop Express Photo Editor, Notability, even Apple One) and Evernote is 2x the price of the most expensive of these other apps.  At least when Spark (Readdle) introduced their subscription model, after a very long period of time during which the app was free, they offered existing users a lifetime 30% discount on their annual subscription.  Additionally, they listened to their user base and removed a paywall for a feature that was previously free.  Evernote has done nothing to reward customer loyalty or even curry some degree of customer loyalty with their pricing plans.  In my opinion, this was a lost opportunity that will drive more users to alternatives,
  3. I am fully aware of inflation and supply chain issues, but a 42% increase in my annual price (from $44.99 to $63.99) is not reasonable or commensurate with the features offered by other apps.  Factor in the pervasive and known security issues (my employer, a fortune 50 energy company, refuses to support it because of security concerns) and there is no way I am going to pay a penny more for this app.
  4. Refer back to point 1.  The only one attempting to communicate in a "thunderous" way is you, and I am sure you gain a lot of satisfaction, cloaked in the anonymity of your 4,022 posts, LVL 5, and 1,785 reputation score, from trolling the Evernote forums looking to spew your vitriol.  
  5. In the time I responded to your post, I have exported my 5,000+ notes spread across 10 notebooks into OneNote.  I am already impressed with the seamless integration with MS Office and OneDrive...

Personal aspersions aside (I guarantee you I am vitriol-free), why not lead with this kind of detail? Perhaps I have just gotten sick of people who come into the forums specifically and only to announce their departure from Evernote as if this were a vital piece of information for Evernote and its other users. I find Evernote, for my purposes and in comparison with other tools I subscribe to, such as the Chicago Manual of Style and Merriam-Webster dictionaries, a good value for the money. If it's not worth it to you, it's not worth it to you. That doesn't make Evernote's pricing actions insane, just something that should likely have been initiated long ago an carried out more gradually.

Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Personal aspersions aside (I guarantee you I am vitriol-free), why not lead with this kind of detail? Perhaps I have just gotten sick of people who come into the forums specifically and only to announce their departure from Evernote as if this were a vital piece of information for Evernote and its other users. I find Evernote, for my purposes and in comparison with other tools I subscribe to, such as the Chicago Manual of Style and Merriam-Webster dictionaries, a good value for the money. If it's not worth it to you, it's not worth it to you. That doesn't make Evernote's pricing actions insane, just something that should likely have been initiated long ago a carried out more gradually.I

6 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Personal aspersions aside (I guarantee you I am vitriol-free), why not lead with this kind of detail? Perhaps I have just gotten sick of people who come into the forums specifically and only to announce their departure from Evernote as if this were a vital piece of information for Evernote and its other users. I find Evernote, for my purposes and in comparison with other tools I subscribe to, such as the Chicago Manual of Style and Merriam-Webster dictionaries, a good value for the money. If it's not worth it to you, it's not worth it to you. That doesn't make Evernote's pricing actions insane, just something that should likely have been initiated long ago an carried out more gradually.

I didn’t feel the need to lead with the aforementioned detail because I didn’t realize a forum troll would pounce on my post, and spew nonsense with “authority”.  And, yes, Evernote’s rollout of their subscription model in March, and this month’s pricing increase on legacy plans completely disregards the loyalty of the very user base that vaulted Evernote to prominence.  Likewise, I predict this dismissive approach to customer service will mark the beginning of the end for Evernote.  That, coupled with the acquisition of Evernote by Bending Spoons (i.e., Evernote will be cannibalized and diluted by other Bending Spoons mobile apps) will create an opening to other innovators to fill this void.  At the end of the day, as an Evernote power-user, I cannot justify continuing to pay $65/yr. for an app that simply doesn’t provide equivalent utility to me.  

Link to comment
19 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Hmmm - reading the thread I would rather say „ex-power-user“, and one showing a clear lack of respect, calling fellow forum users a troll.

But as they say, true character shows at the exit.

First, my designation of “Power-user” was obtained by being an early adopter of Evernote Web service in 2008 and by acquiring knowledge and mastery of the app, and it is certainly not relinquished just because I have pivoted to a new app. Second, the tone and word choice I used toward the fellow user was proportional to his tone and word choice towards me.  To allay your perceived “disrespect” toward the fellow user, I will happily replace “troll” with the appropriate definition.  Troll - “a person who intentionally tries to instigate conflict, hostility, or arguments in an online social community”.  I think Dave-n-Decatur and you need to do some serious introspection and feign an attempt to be open to the fact that Evernote has significant shortcomings, least of all in its pricing.  Clearly, you’re both Evernote “fanboys” (I hope this verbiage isn’t too disrespectful for you), and are unable to even consider that my contentions have merit.  The irony in all of this is that a CSR from Evernote responded to my Twitter DM and has graciously offered me an annual pricing concession to allow me to “experience all of the new features being rolled out in 2023”.   Looks like I’ll be around for at least another year…

Link to comment
13 hours ago, eric99 said:

Good to know that there is a EN alternative but out of curiosity I  installed One Note again  and it seems even more bloated  and counter intuitive than before, no dark theme either...

I’m using OneNote on iOS, iPadOS and MacOS and sale theme is available.  I haven’t experienced anything yet that “bloats” the user experience, although, there will be some learning curve to become proficient.   I am willing to give it the old college try.  

Link to comment

I too have been an Evernote user for around 12 years and for a long time it was a vital part of my workflow. However, due to changes in said workflow combined with this same price increase I can’t justify hanging on to my subscription. 
 

Even though I am no longer adding things to Evernote as much, I don’t want to lose access to a decade+ worth of data.
 

If I downgrade to free will I still be able to access all of my notes and export them for backup/migration at a later time? Or do I need to export all of my notebooks before I downgrade?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Evernote Expert

If you downgrade to Free all your existing data will remain. All new notes would be limited to the Free limits as will data transfer. Any notes which already exceed the Free size limit will effectively be locked and not editable. But nothing will be lost.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
  • Level 5
23 hours ago, rbbcpa said:

I didn’t feel the need to lead with the aforementioned detail because I didn’t realize a forum troll would pounce on my post, and spew nonsense with “authority”.  And, yes, Evernote’s rollout of their subscription model in March, and this month’s pricing increase on legacy plans completely disregards the loyalty of the very user base that vaulted Evernote to prominence.  Likewise, I predict this dismissive approach to customer service will mark the beginning of the end for Evernote.  That, coupled with the acquisition of Evernote by Bending Spoons (i.e., Evernote will be cannibalized and diluted by other Bending Spoons mobile apps) will create an opening to other innovators to fill this void.  At the end of the day, as an Evernote power-user, I cannot justify continuing to pay $65/yr. for an app that simply doesn’t provide equivalent utility to me.  

 

18 hours ago, rbbcpa said:

First, my designation of “Power-user” was obtained by being an early adopter of Evernote Web service in 2008 and by acquiring knowledge and mastery of the app, and it is certainly not relinquished just because I have pivoted to a new app. Second, the tone and word choice I used toward the fellow user was proportional to his tone and word choice towards me.  To allay your perceived “disrespect” toward the fellow user, I will happily replace “troll” with the appropriate definition.  Troll - “a person who intentionally tries to instigate conflict, hostility, or arguments in an online social community”.  I think Dave-n-Decatur and you need to do some serious introspection and feign an attempt to be open to the fact that Evernote has significant shortcomings, least of all in its pricing.  Clearly, you’re both Evernote “fanboys” (I hope this verbiage isn’t too disrespectful for you), and are unable to even consider that my contentions have merit.  The irony in all of this is that a CSR from Evernote responded to my Twitter DM and has graciously offered me an annual pricing concession to allow me to “experience all of the new features being rolled out in 2023”.   Looks like I’ll be around for at least another year…

If you'd take a look at some of those 4K posts in which I have "cloaked" myself, you'd see that I mostly come here to try to help people with Evernote problems, and engage in some interesting conversations. And that I recognize Evernote's shortcomings when I perceive them. The pricing is not a shortcoming for me. Obviously it is for you, which is perfectly reasonable for you. The statements that the price change is "insane" and amounts to "price increases, with no commensurate addition of features" are your opinions also, but presented as if they were fact. A couple of us in this thread have addressed the latter, but you have not cared to defend it.

And by the way, whatever I say here is in no way a "dismissive approach to customer service" on the part of Evernote, since I don't have any connection to Evernote other than being a user.

So, to sum up from my point of view: you came in here swinging, and got swung back at. You don't care to understand who the people in the forum are or how they conduct themselves in it. Yet you know who's a "troll" based on their refusal to regard your personal experience and opinions as the only valid ones.

FWIW, I share your apprehensions about Bending Spoons. And I'm glad that Evernote has generously offered you a pricing concession, so you can continue to explore and hopefully enjoy Evernote's developing features for less than the rest of us pay. No doubt my just deserts.

Sigh. But you've accomplished one thing here. I'm done responding to people who come in to announce their departure from Evernote as if they were the last barrier between EN and catastrophe. It aggravates me excessively, which is on me. Better just to spend time offering what help I can.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
7 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

@rbbcpa You may not be disrespectful as a person (who knows, watch into the mirror), here you behave as such.

Just leave … I can only repeat that true character often shows on the exit. You just prove that experience.

@PinkElephantmy initial post was totally benign but @Dave-in-Decatur decided to inject his views in a manner that was both disrespectful and marginalized me as an Evernote user.  Not only that, he attempted to suggest that my post wasn’t appropriate for the forum because, to summarize, it expressed an opinion that didn’t help other users.  Long story short, Evernote listened to and responded to my concerns RE:  pricing, and has offered a concession that will ensure I continue to use Evernote for another year.   I invite you to stop responding to this thread if you are unable to offer up anything meaningful and constructive.  

Link to comment
  • Level 5*
On 12/27/2022 at 5:25 AM, rbbcpa said:

look up the definition of "forum"

 

1 hour ago, rbbcpa said:

I invite you to stop responding to this thread

This is a forum where everyone gets to express their views,  whether or not you agree with them.  If you hover over a member profile there is an 'ignore' button which should mean that you never have to see that person's posts again.  If you feel that the person is being especially critical or unhelpful you can also report individual posts to the Evernote admins.

I think we have sufficiently exercised the frustrations and the disagreements in this thread so far.  The takeaway seems to be - if you have an "unreasonable" price increase on your account,  it's certainly worth contacting Support,  who might be prepared to offer concessionary terms...

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...