Text preferences for all documents

I love that I can standardize text and headers in one document.  I would like to vreate that as a template for all notes rather than having to create it with each note.

Also any hope of having a ruler in the notes field?

• Level 5

Store your preferences as a template, create new notes from it. Or save an empty note with your settings, and duplicate it to create a new one with the same settings.

These are workarounds, available today. If EN will present a general solution remains to be seen.

8 hours ago, svirsky said:

I love that I can standardize text and headers in one document.

8 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

These are workarounds, available today.

@PinkElephantDo you have the following in mind? 

At the end of this discussion @avernet mentioned a tool to change EN's appearance (as an Electron app) by changing CSS files. I think @svirsky (and myself) is interrested manly in finding a solution to modify CSS defintions of note text only

Do you have a recommendation for that?

• Level 5

Interesting concept, but probably a repetitive issue. Every update will likely overwrite it again. And this means notes formatted with the alternative would be set back, until the modification is applied again. With an update every 3 weeks I think too much effort for the (possible) gain.

There is this little hack to raise the note selection limit, by altering a json file. Same problem: Every update sets it back.

I use EN pretty much as it is delivered. I raise the selection limit when I need large selections, not permanently. And the layout doesn’t bother me - I take notes, not create pieces of typographic art.

Use cases are different, I understand fellow users who would like a little more flexibility.

It's common to many programs to have some hard-coded default settings, use system configuration files (that might be overwritten with every update) and in a 3rd step allow some user specific configuration files to overrule internal settings. I expect (hope?), EN uses this mechanisms - but we users do not know it so far...

I've found https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enml.php that describes the principles of text styling mechanisms of EN. In chapter "Styling note content" they write

ENML allows the use of CSS to style notes. All styles must be specified in-line using the 'style' attribute. References to external or embedded stylesheets and the use of the 'class' attribute are not allowed.

"not allowed" sounds like a hard-coded rule to disallow content like "<link rel="stylesheet" href="styles.css">" within note bodies. So please tell us how to overrule this by any hack (in EN10 and Legacy) 😉.

I use EN pretty much as it was delivered before years. I've no selection limit - but layout bothers me in some (OK - not vital) cases. I often take news, remove unnecessary typographic art (by selecting text and typing  Ctrl-<BLANK>) - but want the result to look fancier around text block distances, table outfit and headline sizes...

Use cases are different, I love fellow users who would like a little more flexibility. 👍

4 hours ago, agsteele said:

Works just fine for me on Windows. That said the new limit of 100 selections is more than sufficient for me.

Yes, on windows overridden settings in the config.json aren't touched by a new update. Sure, the 100 selections are sufficient for daily usage but not for reorganizing notebooks and global tagging. EN should fix this first before terminating legacy completely.

• Like 1