Rather than backing up all notes every week how to backup only the new note and changed notes.

Every week I have a calendar entry to remind me to backup all the Evernote notes. I open the Evernote application on Windows 10 and backup the notes to a .enex file. Then I also backup all notes to a web archive, single web page and multiple web pages. Yes, it's probably overkill, but I feel that if something  happens with one format, I have three other formats to fall back on. 

The .enex file has steadily grown over the years and it's now 176 MB. The web archive directory is 187 Mb. All 4 types takes up 650Mb disk space. Furthermore, backing up everything can take about half and hour. 

So, my question is, does Evernote have an option I can select to update my backup with notes that have been added since the last backup, notes that have changed, and remove (from backup) notes that have been deleted on my evernote notes repository. So, I guess, what I am asking is does Evernote offer incremental backups?

If not, is there any third-party tool than can be used to do this?

If neither of these options are available, could I make a feature request?

p.s. I'm a linux user. I have been using Windows 10 virtual machine on my Linux laptop to do the backing up described above. Before posting this thread, I did an internet search for the title of this thread and one of results was this: 

https://github.com/vzhd1701/evernote-backup

seems it's available for Mac, Windows AND Linux. From what I've read about it up to now, it does a sync of the Evernote data. So, in effect doing a incremental backup, as opposed to a fresh backup each time (actually what I've been doing up to now is an export more than a backup).

25 minutes ago, TheHaymaker said:

So, my question is, does Evernote have an option I can select to update my backup with notes that have been added since the last backup, notes that have changed, and remove (from backup) notes that have been deleted on my evernote notes repository. So, I guess, what I am asking is does Evernote offer incremental backups?

I don't believe so. I don't think that EN believe you should do your own backup as they have it covered! 

You can get something close to what you want by filtering to select all those notes updated in the last 7 days. You can then export them, provided there are no more than 100. If there are more than 100, you would need to do it in batches. You can't remove deleted notes from your backup in this way.

image.png.0f090b7628014df9ee9ea5f9672d9435.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Just a remark about „I use my Windows client and export all notes to an ENEX file.

This is OK - if you use only a single notebook, or if notebooks are not important for your way of using EN. This is because the notebook information is not part of the ENEX file. In case of a restore from the ENEX file all notes will end up in the one and same notebook.

Personally I think you overdo it by far with your backup procedure. But if it makes you sleep well, it is probably worth the effort.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, TheHaymaker said:

If not, is there any third-party tool than can be used to do this?

I believe ExportNote does incremental backups/exports, but I haven't tried it myself.

See here for discussions on it:

• Like 1

I was using and satisfied with Backupery until I "upgraded" to v10 which doesn't work with it. Right now I'm not doing anything but I intend to set up a workstation with the old client so I can get that going again when I have some time. It's one of a handful of gripes I have with Evernote.