Sorting notes by date generates wrong result.

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

@Drugo - That "Show notes in group" when sorted by title will group all notes that start with '0 to 9' in one group, all notes that start with 'A' in one group, all notes that start with 'B' in one group, etc. Since all your notes start with a number then they are all going to be all grouped into one big group, rendering the 'Show notes in groups' useless in this case.

It looks like you are wanting Evernote to realize that the start of your title is actually a date and group it as such, but it doesn't know it's a date and so it can't do that.

@stivale17

Citare

It looks like you are wanting Evernote to realize that the start of your title is actually a date and group it as such, but it doesn't know it's a date and so it can't do that

If I understand correctly, you say that EN does not recognize dates? I don't know what has changed but a few months ago I was able to sort by date. From a couple of months the bugs have multiplied exponentially.

So EN can't count numbers?

If you want your notes sorted by date Created (Either in increasing or decreasing order) Open Note Informaion Panel (Click three dots top right hand corner ) an change the Date Created by clicking into the arrowed box.

image.png.dc31800b21092700d222075e0746d2a5.png

• Like 1
On 12/8/2022 at 12:43 PM, Drugo said:

If I understand correctly, you say that EN does not recognize dates?

No. I'm saying that Evernote will not extrapolate part of the title as a date as it seems you are trying to do. @janndk and @bmcl26 have showed you how sorting by updated and created dates work.

• Level 5
  • Solution

If somebody wants to sort "by date" using a field that contains text, the date must be written in a certain sequence. Only YYYYMMDD will properly sort. This is no surprise at all - every text "date" only sorts in that order. It is different if the date field is based on a number - then it sorts by ordering this number. 

If you put the day first DDMMYYYY, it will first sort all 1st of whatever, followed by lowest month, year coming last, then 2nd, then 3rd. Putting the month first, it will sort all Januaries, Februaries etc.

Since there are date fields, one of them editable it makes little sense to type a date into the title field first of all. Personally I warn against modifying the created-date field, because the system may overwrite it again. But who wants to use it may do so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Since there are date fields, one of them editable it makes little sense to type a date into the title field first of all. Personally I warn against modifying the created-date field, because the system may overwrite it again. But who wants to use it may do so.

I have been amending the Created by Date since it was introduced way back in Legacy and never had the system overwrite one (to my knowledge)

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You want a simple example ?

Duplicate the note - and the created date will get todays date, not what you exited in. Given that some people’s workflows build on the created date field holding the date of the attached document, this means that this information is not conserved on duplication.

If you type a date anyhow, it is better typed into title or note body. Or use tags to set a date.

6 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

You want a simple example ?

Duplicate the note - and the created date will get todays date, not what you exited in. Given that some people’s workflows build on the created date field holding the date of the attached document, this means that this information is not conserved on duplication.

If you type a date anyhow, it is better typed into title or note body. Or use tags to set a date.

I have never had the need to Duplicate a note.