Downgrading from Latest Evernote for Mac to version 7.14 (or which version to choose is possible)?

Is this the "Lecacy" version? (7.14)?

I have not updated Evernote for probably 2 or 3 years, not sure when it was the last time, but after updating today, lots of my favourite functions where gone like: Tabs + Jump etcetera....

0.) I am not certain which versjon Evernote I had installed from before to be honest. Could it be somewhere between version 7.14 and 10? Would there be versions between 7.14 and 10 avaiable for installing?

1.) Did the update today to the current Evernote version re-format all notes to a new standard? Or will the orginal formatting be the same when I downgrade / revert back?

2.) I have a Time Machine backup. But that is from one week back. Is that the best way of returning to the previous state? Yes I am aware that notes from the past week then probably would be lost.....

3.) Is there a kind of "Evernote Install log" on my Mac, locally (a file) or isthere or another way to see which version I have been using prior to this undesired update?

• Level 5

There is no version between 7.14 and 10. 7.14 was the latest release for the Mac (Windows 6.25). The only difference with "Legacy" is a grey app icon - and it will never update.

For both versions all notes are on the server. Where the server is synced, you get all notes from one version in the other. I have both installed, and it syncs, no matter where content was edited. The only deficit is that legacy can't display data content unique to v10. And no, reinstalling from Time Machine is a bad idea - it is an application, not some files with data.

Be aware that legacy is deprecated software. When it shows problems, then there are problems, and when it fails, it fails. Nobody will touch it.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, mangoguru said:

Is this the "Lecacy" version? (7.14)?

Yes

Jump

Jump? Do you mean 'Switch To' with Cmd-J? That is there in v10. But yes -- there are no multiple tabs in v10 like in Legacy.

Would there be versions between 7.14 and 10 avaiable for installing?

No. 7.14.1 is the last "Legacy" version on Mac (AFAIK) and 10.X is the new version. There is no 8 or 9 (AFAIK).

Did the update today to the current Evernote version re-format all notes to a new standard?

I don't think so, but if you update a note in v10 then it could change the formatting.

I have a Time Machine backup. But that is from one week back. Is that the best way of returning to the previous state?

I don't think so. If I were you, I'd first download the legacy app (https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote) and let all your content sync down to it.

You can run both the Legacy version and the v10 version at the same time. I have them both installed and fired legacy up just now to check the version number, but outside of that I never run the Legacy app anymore (because I prefer v10).

v10 is quite a bit different than the old version, and like all things it could take some time to adjust to it. Some features that you may have used will not be present on v10 (multiple tabs, presentation mode, sorting list by tag or size, etc), but the legacy app is definitely on its way out. So now might be a good time for you to investigate other tools and see if something out there is a better match for your workflow and features that you need. I did this evaluation a little over a year ago and realized that although there were features in v10 that I miss, Evernote is still a better over-all package for me personally than the dozen or so other personal knowledge management systems that I investigated and tried out.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

And no, reinstalling from Time Machine is a bad idea - it is an application, not some files with data.

Thank you I do alwas appreciate your feedback.

Actually I did reinstall all (total recovery) from Time Machine just 2 months ago after my hard disk "died". So that worked perfect it seemed.

Not sure if I would like the grey icon though (have not tried to install the 7.1.4 yet),  I prefer the green as it was so I shall cometmplate what to do now.

The only downside is that my notes for the past weeks would be gone or is there a way of overcoming that perhaps?

If I did only revert from Time Machine the Evernote Application folder, not the data and settings folder perhaps???

2 hours ago, Boot17 said:

I don't think so. If I were you, I'd first download the legacy app (https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote) and let all your content sync down to it.

Another thing I wrote above in a reply to Pinkelelephant regarding "If I did only revert from Time Machine the Evernote Application folder, not the data and settings folder perhaps???" ? (the total context directly above), do you have any opionions on that?

• Level 5

The green icon version will always try to update, and this means installing v10. Only the grey one has the update routine disabled.

If you prefer the green icon: You can replace every app icon on the Mac against another you like better. You just need the visual as a picture file, and can then replace the original icon.

About TM: One use case is to reinstall a Mac, as you did when your drive had died. This means plain everything, which is sort of simple. Another is to restore some regular data files, could be older versions as well.

Applications have deeper roots in the OS, and these are created by the installation process. It might work to do a partial reinstall - I would not rely on it.

• Like 1
On 12/7/2022 at 9:25 PM, PinkElephant said:

The green icon version will always try to update, and this means installing v10. Only the grey one has the update routine disabled.

Well my latest (old version) with the green icon I was happy with, prior to installing the newest update never tried to update to the latest version by itself. I saw the update on App Store and in a weak moment I did install that latest version.

So in the grey icon version the app is also called another name? "Evernote Classic"... I am using Keyboard Maestro with designated macroes for "Evernote".  After installing the new version most of the shortcuts / macros did not work anymore.

• Level 5

It is called Legacy. Technically it is 7.14, but without an update option and with a grey icon, to tell it apart from v10 when installed on the same system. It is deprecated, end of life, no support, no fixes. On Ventura it is half broken, and will likely not be fixed.

v10 does not support any scripting or automation.