Evernote Causing Google Chrome to Freeze/Crash

Not sure if this is the right forum for my inquiry, but I'm having an issue where every time I open a very long note on Evernote (on google chrome), suddenly everything freezes up and it causes google chrome to crash. I am then forced to right-click and close the window and start things up again. Interestingly enough sometimes I'm able to log-in to Evernote and view the platform and view my smaller notes just fine, but the second I click and look through one of my much longer notes, everything freezes/crashes. I've restarted my computer a few times, but haven't seen any change. Am wondering what the best step is to fix this issue. Thanks

• Level 5*
On 12/4/2022 at 3:08 AM, User141 said:

Am wondering what the best step is to fix this issue. Thanks

Hi.  Long notes bad;  shorter notes better...  Maybe split your long note into sections and link together with a Table of Contents note?

• Like 1

If you can't do what gazumped is suggesting because it keeps crashing, you could try installing it on Desktop and try it from there.

I've never had an issue with very long notes, but I generally don't use the Web version. One time on Desktop though, I had an issue where it didn't like a certain kind of attachment and I ended up having to put that attachment in a zip file. (I can't remember the particulars.)

Is your note just insanely long with lots of images and other content? In general it is better to have smaller notes because then you have less chance of syncing issues. Also, IMO, I've found it easier to find what I'm looking for if I give my note a good title, vs burying it half-way down in a super long note (but I guess it just depends on the nature of the note if that makes sense to do)

On 12/5/2022 at 10:39 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Long notes bad;  shorter notes better...  Maybe split your long note into sections and link together with a Table of Contents note?

Hello. Thank you for the response. I agree that long notes are not ideal, the issue is that before I had no problems accessing long notes, but now suddenly they crash and freeze everything when I try to open them on Google Chrome. I can access them on Microsoft Edge with no issues, so I'm trying to figure out what the problem is and why there seems to be an incompatibility with longer notes on Google Chrome. 

On 12/5/2022 at 11:08 AM, Boot17 said:

If you can't do what gazumped is suggesting because it keeps crashing, you could try installing it on Desktop and try it from there.

I've never had an issue with very long notes, but I generally don't use the Web version. One time on Desktop though, I had an issue where it didn't like a certain kind of attachment and I ended up having to put that attachment in a zip file. (I can't remember the particulars.)

Is your note just insanely long with lots of images and other content? In general it is better to have smaller notes because then you have less chance of syncing issues. Also, IMO, I've found it easier to find what I'm looking for if I give my note a good title, vs burying it half-way down in a super long note (but I guess it just depends on the nature of the note if that makes sense to do)

Hello. Thank you for the response. I've been able to access the longer notes through Microsoft Edge, which isn't ideal, but at least I can access them. Like you, I've never had access with very long notes either, however for some reasons every time I open one of them on Chrome, everything just freezes, Chrome stops working, and I'm forced to close the Window. I've tried restarting my computer, uninstalling vs. reinstalling Chrome, and I've had no success. 

So at first I had a long note with a lot of links to videos, images, and other content and I thought that may have been causing issues, but then I tried opening a fairly long note that mostly consistent of just text and I ran into the same issues either. Again, these notes open just fine on Microsoft Edge, so I have no idea why the app is acting strange on Chrome.

I do have the app on my phone, but there again it can be difficult to access long notes (when I start to scroll down on a long note, suddenly the screen stops, reloads, and sends me back to the top, so I can't really access things near the bottom of my longer notes - but that's a different issue from the problem I'm experiencing with Chrome at the moment). 

On 4/12/2022 at 4:08, User141 dijo:

Not sure if this is the right forum for my inquiry, but I'm having an issue where every time I open a very long note on Evernote (on google chrome), suddenly everything freezes up and it causes google chrome to crash. I am then forced to right-click and close the window and start things up again. Interestingly enough sometimes I'm able to log-in to Evernote and view the platform and view my smaller notes just fine, but the second I click and look through one of my much longer notes, everything freezes/crashes. I've restarted my computer a few times, but haven't seen any change. Am wondering what the best step is to fix this issue. Thanks

Same problem here. I have been using very long notes on the web app with no problem. However, since a few days ago, Chrome and Edge are crashing when I open long notes.

Yes! I'm having the exact same issue. It just started about a week ago, so probably right around the same time around 12/4/2022 (not sure of the exact date).

I've isolated it to long notes, on the web version of Evernote, using Chrome browser. It freezes, or rather shows "not responding" everytime. I left it for over 30 minutes one time, and it never "unfroze."

Short notes on Chrome: no problem.

Long notes on Firefox: no problem.

Long notes using desktop (Windows) version: no problem.

Clearly, something changed to cause long notes on Chrome to freeze just about a week ago.

So here's hoping they fix it. At least you and I know it's not our computers!

• Level 5*
On 12/11/2022 at 8:19 PM, jimsing12 said:

At least you and I know it's not our computers!

...Although it might just be the long notes...  How big are we talking when you say 'long' - I have 60,000 notes of various sizes but have no problem in opening them in Chrome or Edge (now also Chrome) in Windows 10 or 11.  Maybe a short term work around might be: break up long notes into shorter sections held together with tags / titles / or notebooks?

On 12/11/2022 at 9:19 PM, jimsing12 said:

Yes! I'm having the exact same issue. It just started about a week ago, so probably right around the same time around 12/4/2022 (not sure of the exact date).

I've isolated it to long notes, on the web version of Evernote, using Chrome browser. It freezes, or rather shows "not responding" everytime. I left it for over 30 minutes one time, and it never "unfroze."

Clearly, something changed to cause long notes on Chrome to freeze just about a week ago.

Can please specify more precisely how long your note is (in MB)

I have no problem with a note of 100 MB of images or with a text note of 2MB but I have to say that my windows PC has 16 MB of ram and 1TB SSD

I have also same issue since early December, Chrome (also MS Edge) and Evernote have some conflict.

- Google Chrome  Version 108.0.5359.100 (Official Build) (64-bit) / - Version 108.0.5359.125 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I think it isn't long notes issue, in my case it freeze whenever access the web based  Evernote

It affects other websites freezed,so it is very critical issue.

Please focus on this issue shortly.

• Level 5*
35 minutes ago, COMPLETEyOU said:

Please focus on this issue shortly.

As far as I'm aware,  Evernote don't know there's an problem.  I'd recommend anyone with this particular issue to contact Support and be prepared to share activity logs etc so they can find out exactly what is going on...

19 hours ago, jimsing12 said:

The "long notes" that cause Chrome to go into "not responding" mode are not big in terms of MB. Even a 251 KB one does it. However, it's over 34,000 words long.

No other website has any problem with Chrome.

It works in my Chrome browser with  a note of 198000 words, but as I said,  my windows PC has 16 GB ram,  how much has your PC?

I too am having the same problem that has occurred around Dec 6th and it seems every note is loading slowly. I have 16 GB of Ram and 1 TB of storage with a i7 dual core processor in my laptop.

I tried on MS Edge and I'm having the same problem with Edge not responding but it will respond in 10 seconds

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, Tivic said:

Thanks.  Are you with Evernote?

My ticket number is  3611824

We're (mostly) all users here,  but I can bounce your ticket number to a Forum admin to see whether they can help.  I'm using MSEdge which is Chrome based these days; could you try that out to see whether you still have issues? 

I'm having the same problem. I have one note I used to use all the time, which contains a bunch of simple text boiler plate sections. In the last week every time I try to access that note Chrome hangs for about 30 seconds, then if I try to click away from the note it again hangs for another 30 seconds. With a lot of patience, I could click - wait 30 seconds - select all - wait 30 seconds - copy - wait 30 seconds, and paste into a local text document to see if there was anything out of sorts in the note. But, it isn't showing anything weird. So I tried creating a new new not with a fresh copy paste from the extracted text document and that new note has the same behavior.

I also tried this in Microsoft Edge and it too had the problem accessing that note. So this isn't a browser thing, but something inside of Evernote's code.

Thanks so much.  I really appreciate your help.  I tried Microsoft Edge A week or so ago, and I had no success.  I greatly any help anyone can provide.  I think a number of  users are having this problem.  

• Like 1
On 12/10/2022 at 8:28 AM, wasin said:

Same problem here. I have been using very long notes on the web app with no problem. However, since a few days ago, Chrome and Edge are crashing when I open long notes.

Thank you for commenting. This basically describes my problem to a tee. Had no issues before, and suddenly the long notes on the web app cause things to crash. I hope the influx of users that are dealing with this problem will spur some action from Evernote to resolve this. 

• Level 5*
Just now, User141 said:

I hope the influx of users that are dealing with this problem will spur some action from Evernote to resolve this. 

Well - if you're suffering from this behaviour,  report it to Support if you can,  mentioning the ticket number above or this thread - if there are several reports maybe Evernote can work out what's happening.  Commenting here doesn't reach Support,  and they might not even know there's an issue yet.  Make sure to tell them!

On 12/11/2022 at 2:19 PM, jimsing12 said:

Thank you commenting. I think you're exactly correct that this is something that has recently started for a lot of users. What you described about the "not responding" portion is something that I experienced as well. I would say not only does the issue exist on Chrome, but it has now extended to Microsoft Edge as well (there was a day when it was just Chrome, but a few days later, Edge also had this issue too. Am at least glad to know that this isn't an isolated problem.

Just now, gazumped said:

Well - if you're suffering from this behaviour,  report it to Support if you can,  mentioning the ticket number above or this thread - if there are several reports maybe Evernote can work out what's happening.  Commenting here doesn't reach Support,  and they might not even know there's an issue yet.  Make sure to tell them!

Is there a specific link you recommend to reach out support quickly? Otherwise will see what I can do. Thanks

• Level 5

Just for the record, I use Evernote Web in MS Edge sometimes. I just checked and could view my largest notes (either by size including attachments, or by length) without any freezing. So it's clearly happening a lot, but maybe more in Chrome than in Edge though, and maybe not at all on Firefox. So it may be a Chrome issue rather than an Evernote one. Have you looked in Google support forums to see if there are reports there?

• Like 1

I’ve had the same issue with Chrome and Edge. My assumption was that it was linked to Evernote trying to render every excel file to show as an ad for upgrade to professional. Totally unusable now. Works on iPad, Mac but I rely on web access.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Level 5

We will see the outcome. Chrome alone has 70% market share with browsers - should be quite an outcry if there would be a general problem.

As a workaround: Web access works just fine on Safari or Firefox. Can't try myself on Chrome - keeping my Mac as Google-free as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to offer an update:

I will be getting a ticket on my end from this and I recommend everyone else facing this issue to possibly seek out a ticket too.

A temporary fix may involve switching back to the old web version. 

Just here to chime in. I'm having the same issue. There are two Notes that I use on a daily basis.  One is pretty long and the other in my opinion is not that long.  Both of these cause Chrome to freeze and have to be restarted. If I click any other note, it works fine. I have the most update version of Chrome. I have reached out to customer support once and am currently chatting with customer support for the second time now.  So far, no help.

I understand that I could break the note into smaller notes, and I did that for one of the two notes.  But I feel like this shouldn't be happening. It never happened until just recently, so I think it has to be related to some update. And didn't Evernote just get acquired? Could it be due to some backend changes we users aren't aware of?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Vesquire said:

Could it be due to some backend changes we users aren't aware of?

Hi.  No.  The 'acquisition' has yet to be confirmed or completed.  Conspiracy theories sometimes are just theories.  Evernote has been changing (theoretically improving) synchronisation processes because of user complaints.  But at the end of the day,  if you're using a process that clearly does not work correctly - change the process.  And/ or contact Support for assistance.

• Level 5*
34 minutes ago, bbbccc said:

Evernote is crashing BOTH Chrome and Opera!!   Please help.

Hi.  Device & OS?  Have you tried the installed app?  Is Opera based on Chrome?  If not it seems unlikely that Evernote found a way to crash two browsers based on different operating principles at the same time...  

Also - are you accessing from a business or private connection,  and have you tried any other browsers?

• Level 5
49 minutes ago, bbbccc said:

I have the same exact problem.  This started over a week ago. 

Evernote is crashing BOTH Chrome and Opera!!   Please help.

I don't use Chrome but I do use Evernote in Opera (on a slow Windows 7 machine), with a gazillion other tabs open. I don't find that it crashes, or even freezes. Whatever this is, it seems to be frustratingly random. Anyone who experiences it, if they have a paid subscription, should start a support ticket, so Evernote's techs can be aware of it: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.

On 1/2/2023 at 4:09 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

And since this only seems to be happening in Chrome, it may be that something changed in Chrome rather than in Evernote.

Actually this has been happening on Microsoft Edge as well. 

• Level 5
21 hours ago, User141 said:

Actually this has been happening on Microsoft Edge as well. 

OK. Earlier you said Edge was working OK, and I'm not having problems on Edge (or Opera, which is also Chromium based). All of which only adds to the mystery. Please do let us know what you hear in response to your support ticket.

11 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

OK. Earlier you said Edge was working OK, and I'm not having problems on Edge (or Opera, which is also Chromium based). All of which only adds to the mystery. Please do let us know what you hear in response to your support ticket.

Earlier edge was working fine. However as of late it has not been working. I believe my comment on December 20th outlined this:

Thank you commenting. I think you're exactly correct that this is something that has recently started for a lot of users. What you described about the "not responding" portion is something that I experienced as well. I would say not only does the issue exist on Chrome, but it has now extended to Microsoft Edge as well (there was a day when it was just Chrome, but a few days later, Edge also had this issue too. Am at least glad to know that this isn't an isolated problem.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Still having the problem. I'm now using Firefox, which is also slow for Evernote (only), yet at least it doesn't completely stop responding.

The problem is that all my links to evernotes auto-open in Chrome (which I need to use for pretty much everything), so I have to manually copy a link, then open firefox, then paste it in.

I've started migrating my evernotes to another platform.

I'll still use evernote for website captures where it's great; yet I don't need it for my own notes.

What a shame! I've really liked evernote for several years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, DreamWeaver2500 said:

Same problem here and not on any long note, a text-only note of just a few paragraphs. Page is constantly freezing or "note not saved" after restarts, clearing cache, etc. Has never happened before.

OS is Chrome.

? Maybe create a new note,  copy text from original to text-only editor,  then copy / paste to new note and try again?