Wildly untrustworthy search results

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

Why am i getting such wildly inconsistent results searching?  As seen on screenshot, 4 different windows show different numbers of results for the same search. 

I've been using EN for years, so I'm not new to this, and it's now to the point of ridiculous, untrustworthy...

Web login gets 421 occurrences of "netw" while my mac#3 gets 4, my Android gets 128, my other mac#2 gets 432. 

(This is just one example... all searches are inconsistent)

Especially bad is my one mac showing only 4 results!!!  I have tried uninstalling (completly) and reinstalling, etc.

(But even missing ONE note in a search is bad!!! So vital!!!

I'm using v7.14 on mac, and also most recent on Android).

Screen Shot 2022-12-02 at 12.12.38 PM.png

• Level 5*

Hi.  You've used "netw" in two searches,  and not (AFAICS) in the others,  which means (I think) that you're not comparing like with like.  Plus v7.14 is now Evernote Legacy - the latest version in v10,  and there are different versions on the web,  mobiles (depending on OS) and as installed apps.  Legacy is not supported and you'll not be getting any fixes to perceived issues.

Can you explain the contraction?  Are you looking for anything containing the word 'Network'?  One of your larger searches includes several word options based on that root.

And - search doesn't have ESP.  If you get anomalous results that's often because the data is not managed effectively.  What about excluding unwanted results with "-<keyword>" or finding the largest return and tagging the notes that you actually need with <keyword(s)> so they're easily findable again?

Having a big database just means you spend a lot of time managing the content so it's easily and correctly parsed by searches.  And a successful search (IMHO) is often one where you start out with a huge list of hits and exclude unwanted information with "-" (minus) on locations / keywords / dates...  anything to narrow down the focus.

44 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  You've used "netw" in two searches,  and not (AFAICS) in the others,  which means (I think) that you're not comparing like with like.  Plus v7.14 is now Evernote Legacy - the latest version in v10,  and there are different versions on the web,  mobiles (depending on OS) and as installed apps.  Legacy is not supported and you'll not be getting any fixes to perceived issues.

Can you explain the contraction?  Are you looking for anything containing the word 'Network'?  One of your larger searches includes several word options based on that root.

And - search doesn't have ESP.  If you get anomalous results that's often because the data is not managed effectively.  What about excluding unwanted results with "-<keyword>" or finding the largest return and tagging the notes that you actually need with <keyword(s)> so they're easily findable again?

Having a big database just means you spend a lot of time managing the content so it's easily and correctly parsed by searches.  And a successful search (IMHO) is often one where you start out with a huge list of hits and exclude unwanted information with "-" (minus) on locations / keywords / dates...  anything to narrow down the focus.

Thanks... I did use "netw" on all instances... my both macs have same version, pointing to same database, using same search term netw (well, it started by me searching for an "old" dos command starting "net use" got crazy differences with just "net", so i just added w for "network", and just stopped at netw when i decided to throw a request for help up here... I tried v10, a while back... pure *****, i lost all my fonts etc, and don't want a pile of owrk and frustration.  I hope they never kill v7 (but I'm sure the great minds at EN have other ideas).

• Level 5
  • Solution

You can't search the same database on 2 different Macs - search happens on the local database on the Mac, not on the cloud.

And this database in the much hyped legacy version can and does collect mistakes.

If I remember it correctly (I did not bother to install legacy on my new Mac), you need to hold down the option-key before opening the help menu. You then get an additional set of options, among them an option to recreate the search index. When you run it, it will take a while crunching through the database. At the end you have a fresh index. Do this on both Macs.

There are more troubleshooting options you can try.

Personally I think the new sync - when released - will eventually kill legacy, because it will change the underlying data structure. So better have your Plan B (I really don't care if it is v10 or something else) ready for execution, just in case.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

You can't search the same database on 2 different Macs - search happens on the local database on the Mac, not on the cloud.

And this database in the much hyped legacy version can and does collect mistakes.

If I remember it correctly (I did not bother to install legacy on my new Mac), you need to hold down the option-key before opening the help menu. You then get an additional set of options, among them an option to recreate the search index. When you run it, it will take a while crunching through the database. At the end you have a fresh index. Do this on both Macs.

There are more troubleshooting options you can try.

Personally I think the new sync - when released - will eventually kill legacy, because it will change the underlying data structure. So better have your Plan B (I really don't care if it is v10 or something else) ready for execution, just in case.

I think you hit it... actually it's under Help(+alt)> Troubleshooting> and I wasn't aware that was there!... THANKS!!!  I 'just' started it, and it's already picking up a lot more!  (I wonder why, after completely uninstalling, and reinstalling, that it didn't build a new index!).  What about ability to search for words in attached photos, pdf's, etc... does that happen locally too?  Rebuilt by re-indexing?  (Also, why would Android not be finding everything??)

• Level 5

The OCR results from the server OCR run  should be saved in the notes metadata. When reindexing the algorithm should find it there, and integrate it into the new index.

Reindexing will not run a second OCR, since it is a server side process.

11 minutes ago, FredJ said:

Maybe they could add a button "Next 128..." or the likes...

Unless I'm mistaken, it looks like the screenshot of your Android phone is showing that you are also running a legacy version of Evernote on that device as well. (You have to have one of the later releases of Android to run the newer version of Evernote.)

I did a search for 'netw' on my Evernote MacOS v10 and got 352 results and on iPhone v10, I also got the same 352 results -- so looks like the feature to return more than 128 results is already there for mobile -- at least in the v10 version.