Feedback on Android Slow Loading

• Level 5*

OK I've now joined the ranks of the Android Lag.  If everyone in the same situation submits a Support ticket (if you can) and helps out with re-installs/ logs etc. maybe we can get to the bottom of it.  Mention this page / my ticket number if you can.  PLEASE don't report this more than once - if you have a ticket running already,  or had one in the past,  just re-open that issue.  Swamping the team won't get us the help we need here!!   

- And just for the record I have a fast internet connection, and (so far) a new tablet with all the available go faster stripes and nothing much running apart from Evernote and Gmail... 

So what happened was....

Having recently acquired a new Android 12 tablet with a large 12" screen* I've been able to test out the performance of the latest (?) Evernote for Android app 10.44.1 (1127497) and the web app via Microsoft Edge Mobile (Chrome).

Initially the load time was shockingly long - I was able to see the app windows outline fairly quickly, but there was no content; I just had white boxes. I went on to try the web app as an option and got as far as the rotating loading screen which I left open for over an hour - the green progress bar moved about 1" - only a fraction of the way across the screen in that time.

I went back to other tasks and left the Evernote web page running in the background, checking in from time to time to see how far it got.

After FOUR+ HOURS the web page had loaded, and now seems to be working fairly normally. I went back to the installed app after about 24 hours and it too had installed and seems to be working.

But that initial several hours or so after installation and before working seems to ruin the experience for new users.

I'd strongly recommend that you try to find some way around it, or otherwise manage user expectation with published and/ or onscreen notices!

PS I just tried to add this note to my Android app and although I have a '+New' button and can select 'Note' afterward, there's no further reaction on screen. I can add new tasks but (apparently) have no way to add notes...

See Support request #3608828

*Christmas came early! (The reference to 'Android 12' is the OS,  not the screen size)

• Sad 1
  • Level 5*

UPDATE: 20221203 1014

I had a nice long email from Support which assured me that the devs are working on the Android performance issue,  plus a suggestion that a restart might jog the tablet into working properly.

So I restarted and was 'surprised' to find that when it rebooted Evernote was no longer installed!   Went back to the Play store and reinstalled it again, and had Evernote's standard email warning that the account had detected a new log in,  so it seems to be working OK.

-But I still can’t create a new note.  I tried both text and sketch notes.  A new text note does nothing – I can click the +New button and choose from Note/ Task but if I choose Note or Sketch there’s no sign on screen that anything else happens.  If I choose ‘attach’ I get to choose a file…  but then the screen reverts to Home or to my Notes view and again – nothing more happens.  There’s no sign that a new note has been created,  and nothing syncs to my web account. 

I can add a task!  Yay!

I tried MS Edge again on the tablet and logged into Evernote Web in about a minute (this time) and I can add new notes in the browser version without any problems.

My tablet currently has pots of free storage and memory.  It's on my home wi-fi with (Ookla tablet says) a 56Mbps download and 18Mbps upload available.  My desktop is also running,  but has no active traffic on the network at this time.

Evernote 8.13 is running happily on my phone (an old Galaxy S7) so I can add notes that way too if I need to.  I just (effectively) did a restart and a clean install on the tablet.

My ticket is still open,  so I'll feeback more if and when it happens!

• Level 5*

UPDATE: 20221203 2011

On further testing it seems I'm unable to 'share' web pages to the Evernote app - I just get 'clip failed' after a long wait - and I can't add any of Evernote's widgets to my home page. I can select a widget and see it move to the home page, but it refuses to fix itself there. If I look away and then back at the page it has gone. Other app widgets are fine.  

In many ways I like the new app;  but as it seems 'read only' it's going to limit the use...  :huh:

Welcome to the club. Just curious: Did you use your account with any other EN10 installation on any other Android devices before or just 8.13.3 running until than. My personal observation is, that every fresh install of EN10 on Android needs a vast amount of time for the first sync building the database on device. I have app. 2000 notes and the initial sync without any offline notebooks lasted app. 1 hour per device, consuming arround 1 GB storage on each device. Keeping in mind, that without offline notebooks the app can do nothing without internet connection you can really question what all this time and data consuming process is all about. If you have MUCH more notes than me, this might even extend the needed time for first install to another level. Unfortunately support never made the slowing mechanics transparent. They excused with the "we are working on the performance issues" to me since the early 10.X versions in Q1-2021. Maybe - or hopefully - this ends with the new sync engine.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Just to update this - Support have asked for videos of the issues I reported,  which I'll get around to shortly - haven't had the time,  what with year-ends and other things to chase up.  It seems a good suggestion - the app of choice appears to be Screen Recorder - AZ Recorder - Apps on Google Play.  If you're finding that something doesn't work as it should,  it's worth going through the motions on video as soon as you can to support your tickets.

• 2 months later...

Looks like there's not just a very noticable delay upon a new install. I'd added a few PDF documents earlier today; partly via the Windows version, partly via an Android device. My smartphone still doesn't list these notes. However, when I search for them, I can find them; still, PDF documents contained in these notes can't be opened (showing an error message like "failed to open ..."). Or, the rotating clock thing just keeps on going around and around.

Right now, 9 out of 10 notes created during the last 25-60 minutes are still not showing up on Android. The one that's visible has a jpg attachments, all others have PDF attachments. Is that perhaps an indication towards a possible root cause?

What's also confusing me: when I look at the list of notes, the counter in brackets keeps changing even though no actions are taken. I'm thinking my notes are being eaten up ...

Oh, wait, all of a sudden (ha!), the missing notes are there, previews of the PDF attachments are visible, and the attachments can be opened just fine ...

What's causing that - any way to force a quicker time to update?

That's unfortunately the way sync actually works. Every device plays down the list of changes instead if just changing the database with differential information from server. You can literally watch every step you made in the "last changes" widget when it is playing the queue through. On new installation this whole build up on Android can last an hour or more with screen on or forever if you dismiss the app because there is no background sync anymore since EN10.

• Level 5*

2 months into 2023 and this is still ongoing...  have been fiddling with a dozen or so clips on the Android which never made it to my desktop - the (rather old now) notes still show a green 'to be synced' flash.  Getting things together to refer back to Support and mailed myself a copy of the Evernote Android log.  Magically my 'stuck' notes then synced and the Andoid was up to date!  I hate computers...

How do you get a copy of the Evernote Android Log.  I am also experiencing slow processing of data entry, posting lags while typing, continued showing of ‘to be synced’ flags.  Now, EN is creating new copies of notes as I’m working on said note. Before I’m actually completing my current note, several copies of note have been created and saved in my notebook. I can delete all these system-created notes, but why created in first place?

• Level 5

The In-App activity log is in the app settings, tab support, activity log.

It is a text file that you can copy or email at a mail address of your choice. If you issue a support ticket, it will by default be attached.