Cut and paste within a note not working intermittently

Frequently, but not consistently, I will cut (ctrl-X) a selection from a note and try to paste it (ctr-V) into another area of the note and get nothing. I then need to undo twice to restore the cut item and then drag it instead of cutting and pasting it. I am a long tie user. This phenomenon just started in the last few months. 

• Evernote Expert

You've posted this question in the Android v10 Issues forum.

Referring to Ctrl+X and Ctrl+V I'm guessing you are using a Windows PC.

Please tell us which OS and which version of Evernote you experience this problem. Web/desktop/Microsoft Store...

Ha! Sorry. I'm not doing a magic keyboard. Sorry for introducing confusion. 

For cut, I am doing the screen press to select a word, sometimes dragging to get a phrase or sentence, then selecting Cut from the popup menu.

For the paste, I am doing  the screen press in the new location to bring up the pop up menu again and selecting paste.

• Evernote Expert

No problem. Just checking. I use the same process as you and have no troubles at all.

Have you tried uninstalling the app and then reinstalling? Sometimes app issues like this area resolved with a clean installation.

Just be sure all note changes have been synchronised before you uninstall.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Evernote Expert

Hi @Tom Lent! I'm sorry that you still have this issue.  I fear that we may not be able to assist you but for a last try could you describe in a series of steps what you are doing on the Android device so that we can try to replicate.  You'll recall that your initial post described in terms of a desktop application. (Ctrl+X, drag and drop etc).

If you let us know that we can take a further look.  Otherwise I fear that you need to open a support ticket. Do that from your device and choose to attach the log files just after you have reproduced the issue.

• 5 months later...

Hi. This is still intermittently happening. Let's try again.

The sequence is this:

I am in Android Evernote on a Galaxy 22+ updated May 16, 2023

I highlight a section of text in a note

I tap "Cut" from the menu bar that shows up above the highlighted word or phrase.

I highlight where I want to move the cut word or phrase

I tap "Paste"

Nothing happens.

If I hit the undo arrow twice, the cut section returns to where it originally was, highlighted.

Trying "Cut"and "Paste" again gives the same results.

I can pull the highlighted section with a swipe somewhere else, but i cannot cut and paste it.

This happens very intermittently with no predictable pattern - sometimes once or twice a week. 

If this happens when I am cutting and pasting between documents, then I cannot return to the original note and use undo to restore the cut section. I must go ito the note history to retrieve it at that point. 

Thanks

I have the same issue, also Android. Also intermittent. When I CUT, it removes the text but it doesn't go to the clipboard. I can tell that with the latest version of Android, as cut/copied text appears on the writing suggestion bar below the note now. And with this bug, it doesn't appear there. I UNDO to return the text to the note, or it's gone forever! I try again, it may work, or it may fail again up to half a dozen times before it works. I just CUT, UNDO, CUT, UNDO, CUT, UNDO until I see the text in the writing suggestion bar. I also note that when CUT doesn't work, and instead I COPY, so I don't risk losing the text, it still CUTs the text out of the note, not COPY! A double-bug?!

• Evernote Expert

Just a thought... Cut/paste etc is an OS function. If you cut something from Evernote can you paste into a different application? What about the reverse? Can you cut from, say, an Email and paste into Evernote?

This could be a keyboard glitch. Gboard is known not to play well with Evernote.

14 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Just a thought... Cut/paste etc is an OS function. If you cut something from Evernote can you paste into a different application? What about the reverse? Can you cut from, say, an Email and paste into Evernote?

This could be a keyboard glitch. Board is known not to play well with Evernote.

Definitely only a problem with evernote. It isn't cutting or copying to the clipboard when the problem occurs.

Good thought. But ditto for my experience. Nothing making it to the clipboard

11 hours ago, GrahameE said:

Definitely only a problem with evernote. It isn't cutting or copying to the clipboard when the problem occurs.

For anyone who still doesn't know what this bug looks like, here is a video. I am cutting and undoing until my phone shows that the text isin the clipboard, which shows below the note and above the keyboard. You'll see what I mean. And no, the text is never in the clipboard if it isn't displayed as described, that's the easiest way to tell if it has copied properly. 

• 2 months later...

Alas, ever since those early encouraging words back in June (over three months ago) that Evernote had replicated and identified the problem, I have heard nothing more from them other an assurance that tech support would look at it 25 days ago - this after someone had closed my requests and marked as "Solved", despite my continuing to report that the bug continues to happen intermittently. Still an Android cut and paste problem that is isolated to Evernote.  It does not happen with other applications. Repeated efforts to Cut and paste fail to get anything into the clipboard for use in Eve3rnote or outside of Evernote. Only an undo brings the item back. Sometimes Copy will act like a Cut, removing the text and putting it in the clipboard for use elsewhere. Other times it totally fails also and loses the text.

I have been updating my Android app regularly in case they have fixed it without getting back to me, but no go.

It is very frustrating that Evernote tech support has gone radio silent on this for many months now.

I don't know if Evernote staff ever look here or if this is just user community talking to each other.

I'm guessing the latter. Member I've been putting requests in to the help desk too (and reported to you all here on their responses and lack thereof)

I suggest you do the same.  More squeaky wheels could help

• Level 5

Definitely a good idea if everyone who experiences this reports it to support. As indicated, this is a community of users here, basically. Support needs to know how widespread this is.

A new version, 10.54, has been released for Google Play. Now it will be up to Google to roll it out at whatever speed they do. Watch for it and see if it has this fix.

Bad news. I just got a message from tech support saying they could not reproduce the problem and are closing my ticket. This after a tech support person in June told me that they HAD reproduced the problem.

It is very important at this stage that any of you who are experiencing this problem who are Evernote Personal, Professional, and Teams customers to submit a ticket so they learn that others are experiencing this frustrating problem

• Evernote Expert

I am increasingly uncertain about using Evernote on Samsung devices. There seem to be many situations where Samsung kit and Evernote fail to play well together.

What I can't tell is whether that simply reflects the fact that Samsung has the corner on the Android market. So just many Samsung devices means it is inevitable that there are more reports of issues with them.

That isn't to defend this issue at all or to suggest it is the fault for owning a Samsung phone. If anything it points to a significant area of fault finding needed to rule out the device/manufacturer.

I could say that I don't experience this issue on my OnePlus phone but given that it is intermittent the best I can say is that it didn't just happen to me. Since I don't do much editing on my mobile device I might not expect to be affected anyway.

🥴

I've long since stopped reporting bugs to support, because it seemed pointless educating them when the make claims that are implausible, or sometimes, provably false. Here on the forums, I get a much more reliable picture of what really works, what doesn't work, and how things things are supposed to work, than I ever got from support.

Has support improved since the last time I used it? The statement "chat support is currently unavailable due to the high volume of support requests" was supposed to be temporary. instead, it has become the new normal. I have ample reason to believe that it is also true for non-chat support. That tells me all I need to know.

Sad face.

• Like 1

I am afraid that the suspension of chat means they are really swamped with tech problems - and/or cutting back on support. Neither is a happy place.

Unfortunately, I do a lot of editing on my phone so this bug is a significant daily problem for me.

Based on AGSteele's comment about platforms, I have updated my ticket with specific info about my platform (g Evernote V 10.54 on a Samsung Galaxy S22+ with One UI version 5.1 and Android 13 with security patch August 1, 2023)

Squeaky wheels get grease, so I suggest everyone try submitting a ticket and including your platform info. 

I don't think there is a way for the Community to weigh in on a ticket, but in case their is, the latest version of mine is https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/3735471