Printing notes with tags

Go to solution Solved by Mike P,

Hi everyone

I'm looking to print the contents of a notebook and I have found a way to do that individually or by exporting up to 50 files at a time as pdfs. However with both strategies I'm not seeing the tags that I've assigned to individual notes. Does anyone know how I could include these with the printouts? Manually adding them to the PDF would be really tedious. Has anyone been successful in printing these tags? Possibly by exporting the notebook and importing it into another program? Thanks in advance for your help.

• Level 5*

Hi.  There are a few threads around here about exports / backups / prints of Evernote notes.  Can you explain the eventual aim?   Are these backups,  or reference,  or for sharing with others forinstance?

I'm writing a manuscript and I think it's helpful to have all of my notes printed out so that I can arrange them on a huge table. But it would be useful to organize them based on the tags I assigned them in evernote. The only way I can think of to accomplish this is to manually add the tag names in the body of each note then they could be printed out as pdfs. But that is tedious. So if you have any suggestions on how to accomplish this I would appreciate it.

• Solution
9 hours ago, justnord said:

But that is tedious. So if you have any suggestions on how to accomplish this I would appreciate it.

I agree that it would be tedious. One little known feature would help a bit. 

• highlight all the tags in the tag area at the bottom of the note. (click the first one and shift click the last)
  • Copy to the clipboard (ctrl+C on Windows)
  • Click into the body of the note and paste (ctrl+V on Windows)

This will give you a comma separated list of the tags in the body of the note.

You can also use this trick to copy the tags from one note to another - just paste into the tag area of the new note.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Mike P said:

You can also use this trick to copy the tags from one note to another - just paste into the tag area of the new note.

See - this is why I keep hanging around here - I was today years old...

Except it seems not to work for me:  Win 11 / Evernote 10.49.4 - I can highlight the tags,  and they're outlined in blue;  but copy/ paste won't apparently work for me... :huh:

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Except it seems not to work for me:

Strange. I am also Windows 11 and  EN 10.49.4. Obviously you need to use the keyboard shortcut for copy and paste. Can you paste elsewhere? I can paste into notepad for example.

image.gif.36751df580cfb36a38e46e6c2bff9c13.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, justnord said:

I'm writing a manuscript and I think it's helpful to have all of my notes printed out so that I can arrange them on a huge table. But it would be useful to organize them based on the tags I assigned them in evernote. The only way I can think of to accomplish this is to manually add the tag names in the body of each note then they could be printed out as pdfs. But that is tedious. So if you have any suggestions on how to accomplish this I would appreciate it.

The legacy windows client HTML export generates  a nice meta data header on top of each html note, including the tags (It would be great if this would finally be implemented in v10 as well)  :

image.png.bf5cd5fc710ac7fb80bd69b11683ee26.png

• Like 2
  • Level 5
17 hours ago, justnord said:

Perhaps the simplest and most elegant way to accomplish this (if I'm following you) would be to proceed from the tags, not the notebook. In the app (this doesn't work in the Web client), click on Tags in the left panel, then on one of the tags. This generates a list of notes with that tag. In the list, do Ctrl+A to select all of the notes. In the blue dialog that appears, click the 3 dots for More actions and select Export as PDF. This will yield a dialog with options that include starting each note on a new page. That should produce a PDF file with each note that has this tag covering as many pages as it needs, and with its first page on a new page. Print that PDF and you've got a stack of pages with all the notes pertaining to that tag.

Constraints: If the tags appear in other notebooks too, you'll have to select the notes carefully rather than using Ctrl+A. If there are more than 50 notes for any tag, you'll have to select 50 at a time. Notes that have more than one tag will be printed out once for each tag they have, which might actually be handy.

If you'd be open to a digital alternative for your organizing, you might look at Scrivener. But getting notes, or whole notebooks, from Evernote into Scrivener can also involve some tedium.

Thanks so much Dave...those are great suggestions.  The challenge, though, is that most of my notes have multiple tags...so I'd have duplicates (sometimes a half dozen of the same copy).  So I'll need to manually add the tags to the body of each individual note.  It's a pain (and, really, there should be a way to print tags) but it's not the end of the world.