Ads appearing in my list of notes

10 minutes ago, Gary Keenan said:

I'm already a premium subscriber but getting an ad for buying premium every single time I open my Evernote. Is this a sign of things to come?

What plan do you mean by each of those 'premiums'?  There is Legacy-(Discounted)-Premium that you can no longer sign up for (so there wouldn't be an ad for buying that plan) and then there are Personal and Professional plans (and teams stuff). 

If you are currently Legacy-Premium (as I am guessing) and they are advertising for you to go Personal or Professional then I'd say the answer to your question is 'yes' -- it is a sign of things to come.

It looks to me like Evernote is trying to transition people away from the Legacy-Plus and Legacy-Premium plans. They are also going to increase your subscription if you haven't already seen it: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/9948811735827-FAQ-Pricing-changes-for-legacy-Plus-and-Premium-subscriptions-2022-

One day, they might not allow you to continue subscribing to those plans altogether... just a guess.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You may be a Premium subscriber, which means you are on a grandfathered plan.

You likely get ads for Personal, which is the current equivalent of Premium „plus some“.

This is OK for me, since you stay on a subscription that is not available any more. For the time being I think you can stay on the old subscription, and as long as you do, you will be reminded. AFAIK subscription prices are raised through the board, which means you can continue the old plan, but not for the same price as before.

• Like 1

Thanks for the update folks, I wasn't aware they were changing the plans. My main concern is that I'm a paid customer but constantly get ads in for upgrading in my app. This is a HUGE red flag for me as the thought of being pestered with ads from a service I'm already paying for is not good. Will see how this goes.

5 hours ago, Gary Keenan said:

I wasn't aware they were changing the plans.

They changed the plans back in June/July 2021 (IIRC): https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500006213161-Changes-to-Evernote-subscription-plans and then just recently announced pricing increases for Legacy-Plus and Legacy-Premium.

And then, I only mention this because it's potentially somewhat related, if you haven't already seen it -- Evernote was recently acquired by a company called Bending Spoons (https://evernote.com/blog/evernote-next-move-joining-bending-spoons/) which apparently has somewhat of a history of monkeying with pricing and subscriptions of acquired properties. See this forum discussion if you want a long read on thoughts from fellow Evernote users on the acquisition: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/144032-evernotes-exciting-news

• Evernote Expert

The Bending Spoons acquisition isn't completed yet. That's expected in Q1/Q2 2023. The ads I've seen are promoting the Black Friday upgrade deal. Since prices are increasing on Plus & Premium I expect that there are offers to move to Personal or Professional. It is a short term promotion.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, agsteele said:

The Bending Spoons acquisition isn't completed yet. That's expected in Q1/Q2 2023.

Yes - thanks for that. Just more part of the "sign of things" to come part... down the road maybe that could come into play.

1 hour ago, agsteele said:

The ads I've seen are promoting the Black Friday upgrade deal.

I've gotten ads from DaisyDisk (a directory size reporting tool) and Apollo (a Reddit iPhone client) for Black Friday deals. I'm already a (one time purchase) paying customer for those products, but these are kind of like 'in-app' or email kind of promotions. I didn't think much of them and they were easily dismissed and I only thought of them now that you mentioned a Black Friday short term promotion. So all that is to say, it's probably not too uncommon for some in-app promotions for already paying subscribers for many products.

I should also mention though that as an Evernote Personal subscriber, there are constant "upgrade to Professional" types of flags that I see like this:

image.png.4312ce3c941dc947074a0aa5503fd8ff.pngimage.png.cf70e38d9e3f3c3afe51f674f56de145.png

They aren't an issue for me personally though as I hardly ever see them and they aren't a distraction when I do, but I can see why some might be annoyed with it.