For the love of God, please fix it so I can copy multiple notes at one time from one notebook to paste in another notebook.

castlegateag

Idea

21 replies to this idea

I love it when someone asks for something that's obviously important to them, only to be met with the response "Oh, you shouldn't want that" :)

Sorry, but coping multiple notes (or ideally whole notebooks) is essential for some workflows, and it used to work. I hung on to Evernote Legacy for ages because of this.

Here's the use case, just to show that we're really not all making it up:

I write novels and screenplays. For each new project, I have a bunch of templated notes with lists of things to fill in for this project, like character sheets, plot beat sheets that need filling in etc.

These all contain lots of text, but the point is that they THEN get edited for each new project. Just like filling in forms which have explanatory text.

So in the old Evenote I used to set up a "template" Notebook with a note for each thing - Settings, Characters, Plot, Themes etc etc, then clone it every time I make a new project.

In the new Evernote I have to go into my template Notebook and copy every single note one by one - there are twenty of these notes. 

So yes, please please let us copy multiple notes at once. They won't be duplicates for long, because the thing I'm copying is just a template that I want to edit, does that make sense?

• Level 5

The logical option is to select multiple notes and MOVE them, if it needs to be moved. This is supported by multiple selection menu.

Usually a note is not even moved more than maybe once. ENs basic concept is to hold ONE copy of content, and use TAGs to organize them.

Creating copies of the same to put it into several notebooks is folder thinking, contrary to ENs organizational concept.

This should IMHO not be made easy. Learn to use tags instead of littering your account with duplicates.

• Like 2

Having multiple copies of multiple notes in different notebooks does strike me as interesting. I wonder if this is one of those things that they figured most people didn't use and so isn't worth bringing forward into Version 10.

Edit 12/9/2022: Ah, per comment by @sDGdsGdsGdSDSBsDB, I see that a common use-case would be to then modify the copied notes (not sure if this is what @castlegateag's use case was.)

• Level 5

You can duplicate, multi select and then move. But the thread owner wants full support to create copies and stuff them elsewhere.

Next step is that you start to modify one of the copies, then another. Then you find out that each copy holds a part of the total picture, but none all.

And then we have a request for a tool that compares and automatically merges all copies into one note, holding all information.

All because people are trained to folder structures, going back to the dark age of MS-DOS and the like.

One copy, few notebooks, tags. And no easy escape to litter the EN account with copies not needed at all.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, sDGdsGdsGdSDSBsDB said:

So in the old Evenote I used to set up a "template" Notebook with a note for each thing - Settings, Characters, Plot, Themes etc etc, then clone it every time I make a new project.

In your particular case, @sDGdsGdsGdSDSBsDB have you tried exporting that template notebook as an ENEX? And then when you want to copy them all, reimport that exported ENEX as a new notebook? I don't ever do that so I'm vague on the particulars, but I think that might work and wonder if that wouldn't accomplish what you want quicker since it's the whole notebook that you want to copy.

Thanks @Boot17 - I think that's exactly what I'll do - I just got used to the old easy way of right-clicking on a notebook and simply clicking "copy"!

But given that my template notebook is fairly static, I would just need to import the ENEX file once for each new project, which isn't the end of the world.

I'm still surprised this got removed, and it feels like it has to be only a matter of time before it's reimplemented in the new EverNote, but I'll do what you said for now, cheers!

• Like 2

I totally agree that we should be able to copy multiple notes at a time. I have created two notebooks to help other crafters who buy the same product line keep track of the products we buy. I share two notebooks with a lot of people. In fact, Evernote has a limit of sharing with 500 people or less and I have exceeded that limit. I now need to keep two copies of each notebook. When the product line introduces a new catalog, I make notes for all the new products and move the notes for retiring products to the other shared notebooks. I prepare these notes in advance so when the catalogs are released to the public, I can easily move all the notes for the new products into the shared notebooks. If there are 300 new products and 300 retiring products, that means I need to move 1200 notes. I rely on the Legacy version of Evernote to do that so I can do it in a few minutes. It will take me hours to do it with the current version of Evernote.

Evernote is clearly getting more aggressive about moving people away from the Legacy version. I seriously dread the day the Legacy version is no longer an option. I hope you can imagine all the angry thoughts I will have as I spend all that time moving the 1200 notes one by one.

• Level 5

You mean, you are intentionally violating system limits, and you now expect a "fix" that makes this violation easier for you ?

Tsss, Tsss, Tsss ...

But OK, let's see this as an intellectual challenge.

You can raise the limit of notes you can select by a small editing action, to close to 1.000 per operation. I haven't tried it in a while, because I get along very well with the limit of 100 we have now, but it was and probably still is possible.

You can then do with this selection whatever can be done when multiple notes are selected. It will just take a while to execute, because it will sync the changes while it runs. So probably the time really saved compared with selecting batches of 100 is lower than one might expect.

I'm sorry. I am not supposed to have a duplicate notebook to share?

I am willing to deal with the limit of 100 to add tags or whatever. But how exactly do I change the settings so I can copy more than one note at a time?

• Evernote Expert

The default limit is 100 notes per multiple note action. You get that without any further action. You can find the configuration change by searching for config.json on these forums. The edit required has been mentioned many times.

Perhaps I'm not being clear. I want to Copy multiple notes. I can select lots of notes. Once selected I can Move, Edit Tags, Merge, Add to Shortcuts, Copy Internal Links, Print, or Move to Trash. Neither Copy or Copy To are listed as options. I'd love to be wrong and have you tell me just exactly how to do that. I've looked. And every time an update comes around, the first thing I do is select a couple of notes to see if Copy has been added. Nothing yet. So I keep going back to the Legacy version when I want to copy multiple notes. Again, that is usually when I want to copy lots and lots of notes. 

9 minutes ago, Bev Adams said:

Perhaps I'm not being clear. I want to Copy multiple notes.

Your only option at the moment in V10 is, as @Boot17 has suggested above, to export the notebook or multiple notes and then re-import. I have no idea whether this is practical.

I'm not sure I would expect EN to introduce a function specifically for you to get round a system limit, although I fully accept that a Teams account is probably unrealistic in your case.

I was wondering @Bev Adams how much your fellow crafters actually use the EN capabilities. An alternative approach to sharing a notebook would be to share notes individually to "anybody with the link". You could then create a table of contents note with links to all the shared notes. You could control who the TOC note is shared with - I can't see a limit to how many people you can do this with. You loose some control and if your users do advanced searching etc it wouldn't really work. But a good TOC would allow some limited search through "Find" and users would not need an EN account. 

I'm reluctant to suggest an alternative to a system that has obviously served you well, but Legacy will probably disappear relatively soon and a change in workflow within EN may be less painful than a completely new app.

EDIT: The TOC needs to use the shared link not the internal note link. Therefore it can't easily be created from a slection of notes. However a process of: create note, share, copy shareable link to the TOC note might work. When you paste a shareable link into an EN note it still hides it behind the text of the note title like a regular internal link.

• Level 5

„Horrible“ would be something else … like not reading forum threads before posting. This would really be a horrible trait …

First the intention to copy (=duplicate) notes into another notebook signals you are using notebooks as primary means of organization. If you used tags instead, you could avoid the duplication of content.

Second there is a way, but it may be less obvious: Select the notes and export them as an ENEX file. Import the ENEX again, this creates a second set of identical notes. Move them wherever you want.

All this has already been posted here.

ignoring your smugness: after i upload my notes to my accountant's shared folder, i no longer have access to them. that's why i like to make copies. i don't think tags solve this.
Anyway, it used to be very easy, now it's no longer so. 

and use of the word horrible is easier understood in the context of all things Evernote has both done or neglected to do over the years, which leads to a lot of frustration

I share notebooks and want a copy for myself without changing the original for people I'm sharing with. I also desperately want the ability to copy multiple notes. Evernote can be used to organize in so many ways! Just because it doesn't make sense in one use, doesn't mean that it isn't critical in another.

Perhaps the designers thought that you would only need to copy or duplicate a note to use it as a template for a second modified note. Having two copies of the same note seems like it could cause all sorts of problems. If creating copies of the original really is essential then the workaround suggested by @PinkElephant is not that onerous.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Second there is a way, but it may be less obvious: Select the notes and export them as an ENEX file. Import the ENEX again, this creates a second set of identical notes. Move them wherever you want.

• Level 5

We have indications that using the current software and legacy mixed on the same account creates problems, at least since the introduction of RTE syncing.

The data structure with RTE is different to before. The servers need to perform permanent conversions between the two when changes are made using legacy.

Using deprecated software is a peril in itself. Using it mixed with modern software on a cloud based data storage can create additional hazards.

Anybody can do what he wants … it’s your data you put at risk.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, tobias said:

like someone suggested, i installed a legacy version next to the newest ones and do the bulk-copying in the legacy version. 

I would suggest considering this a very, very short-term plan.  It appears they are phasing out all of the pre-V10 versions.  As mentioned above, our understanding is that notes go through a conversion when going from Legacy to v10 or back again.  Aside from a slower response due to the data conversion, I would be concerned about the possibility of corruption.