Install Evernote 10 on a Windows PC with Legacy 6.25

Go to solution Solved by gazumped,

I have a new Intel system with Windows 10 Pro, 32GB Ram & M.2 SSD's with Evernote 6.25.2 already installed.

I want to install Evernote Desktop 10.48.4 and keep both versions on this PC. It is time for me to check out the latest version and see how it performs.

Is there anything to watch out for when installing V10? Any configuration advice or issues from your experience when having both versions on the same PC?

I do not plan on run both versions at the same time. 

Thank You

• Level 5*
  • Solution

Hi.  You should be aware that installing the new version will 1) give you the option to convert any local (i.e. unsynced) notebooks to standard synced ones - there's no such thing as an unsynced notebook in v10;  and 2) it will likely remove the legacy app;  not the database,  just the app - although since you have the updated 6.25.2 version it may not - you'll find out.  If it does do that,  reinstalling should be easy and quick.

The two apps use different databases,  so you'll have a period where v10 is populating its local data - don't worry if you don't see notes for a while.  If your drive capacity is tight with two databases to support,  you should be able to relocate the legacy database - don't mess with v10.

Changes in one app will be synced up to the server,  and then (AFAIK) back down to the 'other' app,  so you should,  as you say,  definitely not run the two together! 

Good luck - let us know how you get on...

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

As @gazumped says. You can have both versions installed on the same PC. In the past installing v10 would disable the older version. In which case just reinstall Legacy and you will have both.

I also disabled all Evernote shortcuts in the older version since many of them are used in both programs. This reduces the chance of conflicts.

On 11/22/2022 at 7:11 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  You should be aware that installing the new version will 1) give you the option to convert any local (i.e. unsynced) notebooks to standard synced ones - there's no such thing as an unsynced notebook in v10;  and 2) it will likely remove the legacy app;  not the database,  just the app - although since you have the updated 6.25.2 version it may not - you'll find out.  If it does do that,  reinstalling should be easy and quick.

The two apps use different databases,  so you'll have a period where v10 is populating its local data - don't worry if you don't see notes for a while.  If your drive capacity is tight with two databases to support,  you should be able to relocate the legacy database - don't mess with v10.

Changes in one app will be synced up to the server,  and then (AFAIK) back down to the 'other' app,  so you should,  as you say,  definitely not run the two together! 

Good luck - let us know how you get on...

Thanks for the info. It is always helpful to know what to expect and to avoid. I installed V10 without any problem and it did not remove legacy. The V10 database sync did take most of the day and the folder structure containing the files & database was fairly complex.

• Like 1