The note is there, but the contents of the note is gone somehow - can I rollback or recover it somehow?

Hi!

I had an important note, and just discovered that all the contents of the note is gone. The note and it's title is there, but the contents is gone.

Is it possible at all to roll the note back somehow, or rollback my whole Evernote for 1 week for example, to get the lost content back?

Maybe Evernote support can help in this case - do they have back ups or something?

• Evernote Expert

Are you on a free account? If so you can recover note content through Note History IF you subscribe for a month. Note History is captured for everyone but only accessible for paid subscribers.

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much, it sort of worked!

I subscribed, and now I manage to go to View History - choose a note in Note History and then "Import" the last version.

Can my Evernote be hacked? Because I notice weird things: first of all, in the right top corner there's a weird link, I never placed it there, and it's not among my contents that's in the note's body. It's either a commercial add placed by Evernote, or someone else placed it there. 

What can that be?

Evernote_2.jpg

Evernote_1.jpg

• Evernote Expert

Which version of Evernote are you using? Version and operating system...

It looks as though you might be on the Legacy version.

Of course it is possible that someone has hacked your account. The most common reason is the standard trust of passwords.

But I think that is unlikely.

• Level 5

That in fact is legacy, no v10 client.

What it displays on top of the notes content is simply the URL of the note that is displayed - it is in the note information as well.

If you want to check that you are alone, go to devices in account information, and check if there are devices you don't know. In access history you can check for access from unusual clients or locations. Just be aware that the location may be one of your internet providers servers, which is not necessarily your home town. Or in case you use a VPN service it can be everywhere.

From what I have seen until now in this thread, I see no signs of somebody entering. But you can check, as described.

• Thanks 1

Had to edit my previous reply - I sorted out how to deal with imported notes, but still this thing with the weird link bugs me.

My Evernote version appears to be 6.25.1.9091 (309091) Public (CE Build ce-62.6.10954)

Does it look like an old version, and I need to reinstall it?

***Just read the answer from PinKElephant

Evernote_3.jpg

I see, PinkElephant. Going to update my Evernote by reinstalling it. I checked the devices, and there were only 2 trusted devices, but I thought maybe one of those devices was hacked, and the manipulations were made from there

• Level 5

That is the last version of the old clients, deprecated since 2 years now.

If you go to the EN website and download there, you get the new client. On first opening it the migration will happen. In your case, since you have been on Free, no local notebooks to take care of, because this was a subscribers feature with legacy.

You can install the legacy client after upgrading again. However I would not propose it in your case. It counts as another client, so you would use both Free clients on the Windows PC, not leaving a device for mobile.

You could check the new web client as well. It has one advantage for Free users: It counts as 1 device only, no matter if used on different computers. To get at it, you can log in on the EN see site. It will take you to your notes then.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5
1 minute ago, Vad said:

I see, PinkElephant. Going to update my Evernote by reinstalling it. I checked the devices, and there were only 2 trusted devices, but I thought maybe one of those devices was hacked, and the manipulations were made from there

I doubt that somebody hacks a device, and uses it then to go to an account.To access it through a hacked device means there needs to be a remote access to that device installed (like RDP), and this would ring all alarm bells.  If a device is hacked, usually they steal login credentials. These are then used to access accounts remotely, through the web interfaces.

• Thanks 1

Thanks! Should I just download and install the new version, then deinstall the old one? I don't really want the lagacy one, I'd rather use a new one both on my PC and on mobile phone.

• Level 5

Download and install. It used to detect the old version, and ask whether he should migrate.

v10 creates a completely new install on the PC. If the old version is not removed by the install, you can get the software Revo Uninstaller, and use it to remove the whole legacy client after v10 is up and running. Just make sure to grab the correct EN installation when using Revo.

Keep the new app open and running in the background for a while. It downloads some initial data fast, but until it downloads anything, it will take a while. In my case it took 3 days.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
On 11/20/2022 at 10:46 AM, Vad said:

... Can my Evernote be hacked? Because I notice weird things: first of all, in the right top corner there's a weird link, I never placed it there, and it's not among my contents that's in the note's body. It's either a commercial add placed by Evernote, or someone else placed it there. 

What can that be?

Evernote_2.jpg

Evernote_1.jpg

Just to come back around to this issue, Evernote will try to identify a URL for material that is in a note, generally either the source of a note that has been clipped from the Web, or an email mailbox from which the content has been forwarded to this Evernote note, or a URL that is mentioned in the note somewhere. It's definitely not an ad, and extremely unlikely (to the point of nearly impossible) that someone has hacked your account to insert this URL. I have sometimes been fairly puzzled by the source of URLs connected to my notes, but after a bit of thinking I can figure out why it's there. You can always delete it. (It will be located differently in the newer version 10.)

• Like 2