Spelling correction - third or fourth time's a charm but it should be once)

Spelling correction - third or fourth time's a charm but it should only be once!

This is another bug that I've been reporting this for years (no exaggeration!)...

If I use the spell correct function it often takes three or more times choosing the suggested correction to get it to replace the offending word.  It has nothing to do with esoteric words (it happens with common words), the spell recommendations are correct and the spelling is wrong but it won't correct the word until I go through the process at least three times.

This doesn't happen all the time, and usually doesn't happen on demand, but I have recorded it and shared it with the Evernote tech team.  They've confirmed it happening. 

Each time I report (many times) they do a little troubleshooting without a solution, apologize, tell me they'll get it solved, and then mark the report as completed or solved.

You know by now it's not been solved.

Maybe the sale to Bending Spoons will mean that someone actually cares enough to solve this bug too?

I guess the responsiveness can't get any worse.

• Level 5

That does sound annoying. I've never experienced it myself. Frankly, I've never seen it reported in the forums before either. Since you can't reliably reproduce it, and it doesn't seem to happen to very many people, it may be that the "we're working on it" queue has got quite a few more items ahead of this one than behind it.

But in case others here want to investigate it, what version of Evernote is this, and on what kind of device and operating system?

Thanks for asking Dave.

I never put it in the forum before because I dealt directly with support. This bug goes back as far as April 2021.  It's persisted on about 3 different installs of Windows on at be least 2 different PCs!

Ticket# 3304521 - Chat with Evernote on 4/27/2021

• Level 5

Thanks. Very interesting. My (very limited) understanding of spell-checking in Evernote 10 is that it uses an operating system resource. So does this happen in other apps that use Windows' built-in spell checking? I could hazard a guess that it has something to do with the Electron framework that sits between Evernote and the OS. But I've never had this happen to me, so I really have no clue.

• Evernote Expert

I don't often use the Evernote spell-check.  But out of curiousity I just mistyped a whole bunch of words in a note. Those incorrectly spelt were underlined in red. Each and every time I could right click and select the correct word from the supplied list with a left click. Worked first time, every time.

So I'm sorry that @rosingm has this issue which is clearly not correct. But it seems that it isn't a bug for everyone which, of course, makes it much harder to diagnose and fix. No comfort, I know.  All you can do is try another full uninstall with an application such as Revo Uninstaller and then reinstall and start from scratch with the latest version of Evernote 10.49.4

• Evernote Expert
3 hours ago, rosingm said:

That's what I've been instructed to do, among other things over and over.

I'm afraid the Revo Uninstaller route is all I can offer and, I suspect, anyone else. Keep banging on the Tech Support door or, I'm afraid, consider an alternative.

Good afternoon, 

I confirm I have had this problem in spell-corrector from my Mac app for some time.

I right click the redsquiggle a fews times, give up and manually correct the spelling error.

Today I played with the problem both in and out of tables. 

• Outside of tables the right click correction response adheres after several times
  • Inside of tables I have to highlight the redsquiggle then right click, works first shot! 

For the fun of it, I tested the theory in code block, no spell checker at all! 

Mind you, the redsquiggle doesn't have a clue at what I'm trying to spell a percentage of the time, 🙃 

My punctuation fall back: Grammarly 

Hope that Helps

Kristen 

• Like 1