Create subnotes banklinked from within a Masternote

Wichita State Shocker

Idea

I'd like to start a "Project" note. BUT I'd like to have a (Mem like;   Notion like) easy method to start my sub-notes for the project from WITHIN  that initial "Master Note".   

Then I can go back to that  Master note and click and work on any of the subnotes.  Then I don't have to search for all the subnotes. 

If I'm on a subnote, I can return to the master note its connected to.

Yeah I tag all those, but its a pain to do a tag)  search and then scroll for the one I want. 

Yeah I can copy the note  links back to the Masternote.  But that's a bunch of manual work.  Yuk

LET'S DO THIS!!   Mem and Notion do this. 

• Like 3

8 replies to this idea

This would be a huge step forward and if done carefully could be the outliner so many of us are crying out for.

Big notes get unmanageable very quickly. But multiple separate notes are even worse - it’s too easy to lose notes, and almost impossible to manage their sequence. 

This would let us structure them painlessly.  Essential. 

On 11/16/2022 at 9:57 PM, Wichita State Shocker said:

I'd like to start a "Project" note. BUT I'd like to have a (Mem like;   Notion like) easy method to start my sub-notes for the project from WITHIN  that initial "Master Note".   

I completely agree that the current process is pretty clunky. I also agree that the back arrow frequently doesn't give you what you expect.

My process is to create the master note and add a title. I can then at any time copy the link for the master note (alt+ctrl+L in windows), create a new note and then immediately paste the link to the master note at the top of the sub-note. I can then always guarantee getting back to the master note. When I do go back to the master note, I do the same process, copying the link for the sub note and then adding it to the master note.

I could certainly envisage a much more stream lined process, even without being aware of how it is done in other apps. Something like highlight some text in one note, right click and choose "create note". The highlighted text becomes a link to the new note and the new note is created automatically with the title of the highligted text and containing a link to the first note.

• Like 3

I agree nothing is easy, but we're trying to suggest a way to implement a really powerful feature for minimal code change, based almost entirely on what's already there.

It's almost exactly what Mike P does manually, with the tiniest bit of automation to make it 100 times easier.

I thought that one of the benefits of moving to a single code base was that they could do small developments more easily!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You can already create a Table of Content, linking to other notes in a master note.

Select the notes you want to include (multiple selection possible), create links, and paste them into the note designated as master.

You can jump from the master to each note, and back using the back arrow key.

With respect, I know I can do that, but I don't, because it's just not very easy or intuitive, and it's just cludgey, almost un-usable.  And if you work in separate windows, the back arrow takes you back to the search list, not the separate window master note.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

We are talking about outlining here since more than 10 years.

We are talking about back linking since years, since other note apps (Roam, Notion, Zettelkasten method etc.) came along with it.

The ideas are not new, and (thanks for elaborating) it doesn't look really that difficult. But we have to keep in mind, EN struggled for years against its aging code base and to keep things running - somehow. They then struggled for about 2 years before v10 launched to retrain the staff and get v10 to the ramp. And they now work since 2 years to add EXISTING features from legacy to the new apps, plus some new stuff like Home, recurring reminders and Tasks.

Currently they are working on the syncing issue, which is a complete overhaul of the internal structure, moving from the note as entity to a more fractional approach.

No, nothing is easy.

My best bet is that when the syncing thing has launched, and the notes were broken down into many tiny segments, it opens the road to outlining and other improvements. 

But it's not around the corner, and the concept will not happen based on todays data structure. Any design approach based on what we see today is most likely for the big round folder - as good as it may look based on our todays experience.

Just my 5ct, no inside knowledge. Watching and thinking out loud ...

• Like 2

Obsidian does this very well, also. I used Obsidian for a few months before I hopped over to Evernote. I was at the very beginning of my PKM/Task Management journey and was just app/tool hopping honestly. I've been using Evernote for several months now and have 971 notes, way more than I'd ever had anywhere else. Now that I've actually stuck with one tool for a while, I've actually been curating my system and process to a usable process that I don't see myself deviating from much, even if I switch tools.

All that being said, I've been considering very seriously for the last week or so to switch back to Obsidian for this purpose. I love the linking and collapsible bullet point structure of Obsidian. I'd love if Evernote adopted this function and I'd probably not switch. As of right now - I'm fairly certain that I'll be switching within the next few weeks unless there is a miraculous upgrade which includes these functions (doubtful).

• Like 1