The links open slowly in the browser (sometimes 20s !)

Hi,

When I click on a link on an Evernote note, it can take several seconds before it is opened in my web Browser. Sometimes it open quite quicky (1s), often it is about 3-5s, and sometimes it can take until 20s !

I tried :

- several browser (Chrome, Brave, Edge, Firefox)

- disable some windows defender protections

- Evernote desktop instead of store app

Same issue.

Then I tried the same action from an OneNote link : it always open in 1s max.

This is a screencast of this issue:

1886608434_20221115IssueopenlinksslowEvernote(2).gif.d313cc78c9747fd851844e57b43d3319.gif

Do you have any idea about what is causing this issue?

• Like 3

Not getting that happen myself. Just tested using Win 10 and the latest version of the app. Links open straight away.

Check the app is up to date.

Do you reboot often? Maybe try a close/reboot/reopen?

• Evernote Expert

As described there are three or four elements which might be causing the issue of which Evernote is just one.

If you have a link which always takes 20s to load then copy that and save it as a desktop shortcut. Now, open from the desktop. That will confirm whether or not it Evernote, the browser or even the PC is causing the issue.

I'd agree with @Jon/tthat restarting your computer would be a good move. If the issue is within Evernote then I'd recommend rebuilding your notes from the server. 

In settings uncheck the save Evernote data. Then log out. Now log back in and your data will be rebuilt which might resolve the issue. 

2 hours ago, Jon/t said:

Check the app is up to date.

Yes, I have the last version : 10.48.5-win-ddl-public (3769)

2 hours ago, Jon/t said:

Do you reboot often? Maybe try a close/reboot/reopen?

2 hours ago, agsteele said:

I'd agree with @Jon/tthat restarting your computer would be a good move.

Yes I reboot my PC daily. I have this issue since several weeks or month.

1 hour ago, agsteele said:

If you have a link which always takes 20s to load then copy that and save it as a desktop shortcut. Now, open from the desktop. That will confirm whether or not it Evernote, the browser or even the PC is causing the issue.

Did you see my gif screencast? I tested the same link with OneNote application and it opens fine everytime on my Chrome brwoser. Also, as I said, I tried with several browsers. But I tried to save the link as a desktop shortcut: it works fine, like with OneNote.

2 hours ago, agsteele said:

If the issue is within Evernote then I'd recommend rebuilding your notes from the server. 

In settings uncheck the save Evernote data. Then log out. Now log back in and your data will be rebuilt which might resolve the issue.

Since v10 I only use the store app, but today I tried with the desktop app:

3 hours ago, nonobio said:

- Evernote desktop instead of store app

Same issue.

If I'm right, as Evernote data isn't stored in the same place with store app and desktop app, it is like I did a rebuilding of my notes, isn't it? 

• 1 month later...

Coming here to confirm it's been happening to me for ages. Exactly the same behavior: sometimes a link opens instantly, sometimes it takes up to 15s before it happens.

Don't exactly remember when it started, but I feel like it's always been this way for these past couple years on EN10. Latest versions and everything. I don't open links often so it was never a critical enough issue to reach out to support, but it's definitely an issue.

Hi,

This is the last reply I received (30 November 2022) from Evernote Support about this issue:

I apologize for the trouble as this is not expected behavior. I've taken the information you provided and reported the issue to our developers for further review. 

I don't have a direct solution to this issue as a fix for this will need to come in the form of an update. Our best option is to wait for that fix/improvement to be released but that could take time. I apologize again for the trouble this issue is causing to your workflow.

I don't have this issue either but kudos @nonobio for the documented details. Too bad that support doesn't indicate if Evernote has really identified a problem that they are going to fix or if that's just a generic response that maybe it will get fixed down the road or hopefully somehow resolve itself.

It's weird how the time it takes Evernote to communicate to the browser to open the link is inconsistent in addition to being slow sometimes. 

Just an off the wall guess, but do you have any anti-virus software running (besides Windows Defender)? I wonder if that is somehow getting in the mix of things. Or do you see a spike in any services running (via Task Manager) when you click the link and are waiting?

Hi,

I just have Windows Defender. I had tried to disable smartscreen fo windows store applications but teh problem was still here.

I just check my process monitor when I click on links slow to open: I don't see any spikes in process runnings.

Thanks

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, nonobio said:

I just have Windows Defender. I had tried to disable smartscreen fo windows store applications but teh problem was still here.

I just check my process monitor when I click on links slow to open: I don't see any spikes in process runnings.

Poisse

• 8 months later...

Did anyone find a solution?

I've got exactly the same issue (the first time the web-link opens quickly, after that it can take very, very long). Besides web-links I have the same issue with Excel/Word documents. Me too entered a support ticket (like almost a year ago) where they couldn't help me but promised to fix it. Very sadly the issue is still here. So annoying.

On 9/22/2023 at 9:52 AM, agsteele said:

I presume you tried the options in the start of the thread. 

Which version of the Desktop app are you using? Is it the direct download or from the Mac or Windows store?

Yes, I did. As far as I know no real solution for the bug is posted here.

I downloaded Evernote from the website and it's up to date. I can't imagine that the windows app store version would be better (at least for other posters it did not solve the solution.

On 9/22/2023 at 10:55 AM, nonobio said:

I feel like the problem is less common for me, but maybe that's because without realizing it I'm often using this workaround:

Maybe it's less severe, I'm not sure. However for me it's still there a quite a lot. Furthermore when it's there it happens every time for that link. And it can take up to a lot more than 20 seconds. Thanks for the workaround though. This could be a little faster than copy pasting.

• Evernote Expert
2 hours ago, -Rick- said:

I downloaded Evernote from the website and it's up to date. I can't imagine that the windows app store version would be better (at least for other posters it did not solve the solution.

No, I think you are correct. The store version is likely to give you more issues than the direct download.

I asked the version you have installed. Sometimes users download the application and, because it doesn't report a new version available, they presume that they are up to date.  Those of us who are regular have probably lost count of the times we are assured that someone has the latest version but, in fact, they do not. So knowing the version number can occasionally help provide a solution.

Otherwise if you have version 10.62.2-win-ddl-public, I can only say that I don't experience the issue as you describe it.  If you've tried rebuilding your data and, otherwise a clean uninstall with Revo Uninstaller, then your only option is to pursue this with Evernote tech support.

22 hours ago, agsteele said:

So knowing the version number can occasionally help provide a solution.

Yes, I got 10.62.2-win-ddl-public. I always directly update Evernote because I suffer from several big bugs. With every update I always hope it will get better. To be honest I think it's getting better very very slowly but for me it has been a big mess since the 'big' update (out of my head I guess it was the update from v6.x).

Sometimes I wonder if there is something wrong in the personal data of some account (including mine) because not everybody seem to have these big bugs/issues (however there are definitely other people who suffer from these same issues because I can find the exact same issues on this forum).

Then your only option is to pursue this with Evernote tech support.

I did for several issues. They acknowledge that the issue occurs and understand the problem after giving them a lot of information. But unfortunately they then tell that they can't solve it for me right away but will send the issue to the right department so it will picked up. However the bug issues are still not fixed (including this issue). And furthermore it's not possible to contact tech-support "due to the high volume of support requests". I wonder why...

If I see what they add every new update, a lot of trivial insignificant 'upgrades', then I really wonder why they don't do something about the 'big issues'.

If you've tried rebuilding your data and, otherwise a clean uninstall with Revo Uninstaller

I did rebuild my data. Never used the revo uninstaller. I'll try in the near future (however I don't believe its related to one PC).

I also have many problems since version 10 and I have always wondered if there was not a persistent problem with my database.
I contacted Evernote for each problem but it didn't get much results, not for everything anyway. So I deal with the issues and try as best to find workarounds... I feel a little stuck, on the one hand, I have the impression of wasting a lot of time every day (particularly with the slowness of Evernote), and on the other, I told myself that I would also lose a lot by changing applications (without the assurance that it would be better).

• Level 5

A corrupted local database is the common cause of many problems with the installed clients.

Signs there may be a problem are slow startup, long time to open notes or missing content, especially attachments. To confirm it can be useful to check the same notes in the web client, that loads the data directly from the cloud server.

Using an uninstaller is necessary because the regular uninstall just removes the application, but leaves the local data and settings untouched.

42 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Using an uninstaller is necessary because the regular uninstall just removes the application, but leaves the local data and settings untouched.

That's not true, you can delete local data manually. A uninstaller could be more thorough however as long as you manual delete the local data then Evernote always will need to retrieve all data from the cloud server.

Evernote even has an option to set where you want to store the local data (under Settings>Preferences>Evernote Local>Data). And they have this support page where they help you with this. However when you contact the tech-support there are some extra steps involved like logging out (with 'removal of personal data' checked), restart, etc.

Still I did try the Revo Uninstaller but without any success. The particular issue/bug of this forum-topic is still present.

• Level 5

The option in app settings removes the local database only, but keeps other files like settings files. The Uninstaller (if correctly executed) removes every part.

But ok, since you already know it all (but never used it before) - what was your question at your fellow users ?

Because we are here on our own time. So if you want to get help, maybe try support. Or learn to live with your issue …

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The option in app settings removes the local database only, but keeps other files like settings files. The Uninstaller (if correctly executed) removes every part.

But ok, since you already know it all (but never used it before) - what was your question at your fellow users ?

Because we are here on our own time. So if you want to get help, maybe try support. Or learn to live with your issue …

That's more or less what I already said... Furthermore I did try the proposed uninstaller to confirm that this does not solve the issue and therefore contributing to this topic. What does your message contribute besides arrogance and noise?

For crying out loud, what does "Or learn to live with your issue …" contribute for anyone!?

If you had just read the previous posts then you would have know that technical support has been contacted and that contacting technical support isn't even possible at this moment. And no, I don't know it all, I'm aware of that. That's why I'm here. But you definitely don't know it either, I hear no solution from you either however you'll post something anyway. The only thing you do is spam every topic with your default suggestion. "Did you update...", "Did you contact tech support...""Did you try to remove your local database..." So many topics contain your so called 'help' but most of the time you just add a lot of noise. If you don't know how to solve the issue then you will post something anyway. In my opinion; If there is someone here that thinks that he know it all then it's you.

To be honest I'm pretty sick of reading all your non-contributing answers in nearly every topic. Almost all your answers just adds noise. If you ask me I hope you spend 'your own time' somewhere else if you don't know the solution. And please do not show off with your 336 solutions.... almost 21000 posts from you where not...

On 9/22/2023 at 10:55 AM, nonobio said:

Hi,

I feel like the problem is less common for me, but maybe that's because without realizing it I'm often using this workaround:
image.gif.7e7634b2b84455c2f85ebbed59e298f9.gif

Hi,

I confirm that the problem is still present, I realize that in fact, I got into the habit of dragging and dropping which gets around the problem, but after having done this method, and becoming aware of it, I tested opening a link via a simple click: 12 seconds to open.

Hi,

I uninstalled my Evernote (store version) with a tool like Revo uninstaller but I tried the desktop version which had the same problem. Unless I'm mistaken, the data is separated between the store version and the desktop version, if it was a problem with the installation data of the store version, the problem would not have been present with the desktop version.

But I might try uninstalling the version store with Revo (or BCUninstaller which I use for this purpose) and reinstall the desktop version.

The last support response I received regarding this issue was as follows:

I understand URL links in notes take quite a long time to open outside of Evernote. I wanted to thank you for taking the time to report this and provide that GIF as it's really helpful to see the issue. I apologize for the trouble as this is not expected behavior. I've taken the information you provided and reported the issue to our developers for further review. 

I don't have a direct solution to this issue as a fix for this will need to come in the form of an update. Our best option is to wait for that fix/improvement to be released but that could take time. I apologize again for the trouble this issue is causing to your workflow. Let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns and I'll try my best to assist you further. 

Thank you for your continued patience and understanding while we work on why this is occurring. 

Hi,

I uninstalled Evernote (Store version) and Evernote Legacy(I had forgotten it ;) ), all with Revo and deletion of residual files.

I then restarted my PC and installed the latest Evernote desktop version.

For now, it seems to work :), to be continued...

• Like 1
On 9/28/2023 at 9:42 AM, nonobio said:

For now, it seems to work :), to be continued...

Hi Nonobio, is the delay/bug still gone? (after the Revo-uninstall and Evernote reinstall)?

I tried the Revo-uninstall once more: Advanced mode>Deleted all found registries>deleted all found folders>Restart PC>manually deleted some extra Evernote folders that still remained>Restarted again>Instal latest Evernote. After these steps she issue still remains for me. The only thing which I didn't delete was the Evernote web-clipper.

If it's still working correctly for you then I wonder if you did something else as what I did? I'm not sure what you mean exactly with uninstall "Evernote Legacy"?

Hi,

I have yet to see the problem, I will report it in this message if it happens again.

Evernote Legacy is version 6 of Evernote, so I uninstalled it. Note that my version of Evernote 10 was the Windows Store version.
I uninstalled everything Revo found as traces. Otherwise, I didn't do anything else (I didn't uninstall the Clipper's Chrome extension in particular).

• Like 1

I use Evernote across multiple systems. One has consistently encountered the "link opens slowly" issue, while my main system has never experienced this problem. Recently, I replaced my main system with a brand new PC running freshly-installed Windows 11, Chrome, and Evernote. Surprisingly, the problem has now emerged on my main system as well. It's quite bothersome and evidently, reinstalling it cannot be the solution. In fact, the clean install seems to have instigated the issue.

The problem only occurs when I open the first link, which can take up to 20 seconds. Afterwards, it seems to function properly.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing Nico. This gives some insight that the issue is system depended and not account depended. I also use the combination of Windows 11 and Chrome however when I set Edge as default browser for http/https-links then the issue still remains.
And I do have to note that the issue goes a little different for me. After starting up Evernote then clicking on any web-link in any note works fine and fast however after that opening a link becomes very unpredictable: Opening a link may go fast but most of the time opening any link take very long. If opening a link takes long and I click once more on that same link again it takes longer the second time and the third time even longer. While this specific link behaves like this it may work quickly some other time (i.e. opening a specific link will result in different outcomes).