Green Refresh/Sync Button on Certain Notes

• Level 5*

Hi.  You don't say what device, OS or Evernote version you're using,  but that's fairly plainly the 'not synced yet' icon.  Can't say why it would apply to certain notes (there are a lot of options) but it could mean the notes are too big / you've used up your upload limit this month or the content is corrupted or unavailable. See below for more...

Evernote system limits  |  Tips for troubleshooting syncing issues

• Level 5

The green triangle means the note still have to sync. It is NO indicator that a sync is ongoing, it means the sync is still pending.

Some options have been offered above by @gazumped, like a note too large for your plan (Free and Plus have restrictions), or no more upload volume. 

From my experience I can’t confirm that sync may have happened, but the triangle doesn’t go away. I had one occasion when the triangle on some notes stayed on our old iPad Air 2 for hours, even when trying to force a sync. No chance, it just was displayed. The notes had not reached the server, but the client was apart of it behaving normally.

We locked the iPad  for the night, and had it on charger - the next morning the triangle was gone, and the notes had properly synced. May have been a glitch in the internet connection, or whatever. Maybe a little patience will solve the problem for you as well.

Thank you. It’s on my IPad Air, I do not use the professional version and I’ve used 4 MB out of 10 GB. 

I just loaded the app and the ones with the green triangle didn’t automatically load, it took a while but they showed up.. still with the green indicator. Will try the solutions , thank you  

• Like 1
13 hours ago, ashleyburr said:

Thank you. It’s on my IPad Air, I do not use the professional version and I’ve used 4 MB out of 10 GB. 

I just loaded the app and the ones with the green triangle didn’t automatically load, it took a while but they showed up.. still with the green indicator. Will try the solutions , thank you  

A race condition bug makes the app erroneously thinking that there is still some syncing required.

Logout/login will solve this inconsistent state

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
52 minutes ago, eric99 said:

A race condition bug makes the app erroneously thinking that there is still some syncing required.

I concur. It is infrequent for me with the Android app but once or twice I've created a note in Android. It has successfully appeared in my desktop view but the green sync triangle remains displayed in Android.  It is definitely rather infrequent for me so, no, I didn't raise a ticket and won't do so until I get the issue again and can include the relevant log file with the ticket.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, eric99 said:

I noticed that it can sometimes be cleared by changing/creating a note on another client (desktop or web).This will force a sync on the android client which may unlock the green icon.

• 5 months later...
  • Level 5

The green triangle means "Waiting to be synced". It means this notes were edited, but have not yet synced. It does explicitly NOT mean that the note is syncing in that very moment.

Once the triangle disappears, the sync has gone through.

A sync can be promoted through the tab "Synchronization" in settings.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The green triangle means "Waiting to be synced". It means this notes were edited, but have not yet synced. It does explicitly NOT mean that the note is syncing in that very moment.

Once the triangle disappears, the sync has gone through.

A sync can be promoted through the tab "Synchronization" in settings.

In lists of notes in the Android app, pulling the list downward also forces a sync.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Yes, it says the same for iOS. But at least in the iOS client I found the syncing by pulling down the list to have little effect. Only from the settings option my impression was syncing will really be kicked forward right away.

• Level 5

My experience is that it sometimes may take a little until syncing (from the settings menu) starts, maybe some minutes.

But if this option is used, and it doesn't sync in a reasonable time frame, most likely the database has a corruption. This can be done:

• Try a simple logout / quit client / reopen, log in. Sometimes this is enough.
  • If not, Log out quit the app and now uninstall. When asked, dump all data. Then make a forced restart of the device, to clean out all memory. Open, reinstall, log back in.

Since there will unsynced data get lost in the process, you can save the content of notes first, before you try to force things. Open the notes showing a green triangle, select all, copy and paste it elsewhere. On iOS the Apple Notes app is a good place to park content, because it will accept not only text, but pictures and attachments as well. After the cleansing, new notes can be created, and the parked content can be copied back there.

• Level 5

Today I had my first experience of a real sync issue, using Evernote for Android. I had updated a note in the Windows program, and the update synced to the Web client. But I could not get the updated version to appear on my phone. I pulled down the list (which always works in seconds for me, and went to the Settings > Sync page. There were no unsynced notes from the Android app, just this one updated note that was not appearing. Fearful of note conflicts, I was careful not to do any editing on the phone. I restarted the phone, and still no luck. I didn't think of signing out, but I was close to thinking I might have to uninstall. Finally I created a new, test note in the Android app. That synced properly, and after that the other note appeared in its updated form, and I've had no further problems since. No real harm done, but not pleasant.

• 7 months later...

It's been 24 hours and still see the green download indicators, what's the scoop there?  These notes aren't large.Size

1.13 kB - 81 words - 459 characters

After updating to version 10 (latest build), still downloading after 10+ hours.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, KCour2006 said:

Any help would be appreciated.

Try creating a new note on the Android affected - a small update might be very low-priority on a connection that's already kept as much in the background as possible so as not to affect other uses of the device.

• Level 5

How much do you download in total ?

I experienced that when toggling the download to „All“, it will likely stall itself.

In this case it will never finish downloading.

Offline download (small round indicator) has no direct relation to the syncing with the server (green triangle).