Don't automatically move to the end of the note when editing

Julia Meister

Idea

When clicking the body of the note to edit it, the view and cursor should stay where clicked. Currently, the view and cursor are automatically moved to the end of the note, no matter where you click in the body.

I tend to read the note and find where I want to edit, then click the body to start editing - and sometimes automatically get moved away. Then I have to find the spot again, which is especially annoying for long notes. Not sure why this happens for some notes and not others.

Edit:

• Evernote version: 10.48.4-win-ddl-public (3760), Editor: v160.2.19698, Service: v1.60.5
  • I have found a way to recreate this consistently for a particular scenario (shown in video): when you first open the note, clicking into the first character position in the body sends you to the bottom of the screen. Scrolling back to the same position without moving the mouse and clicking again works, and the cursor appears in the first character position in the body. The exact thing happens again if you switch to a different note and back, or just click out of the note and back. Other positions seem to work as expected, as agsteel noted in the comments.

• Like 2

10 replies to this idea

• Evernote Expert

No, not for me at least.  I just opened a note that covers several screens. I click in the middle of the first screen, for example, and the cursor is flashing at that point.

You don't say which version of Evernote you are using and which operating system.

You may benefit from rebuilding your data. On a desktop app:

File | Sign Out | Remove my data

When you sign back in your data will be restored from the cloud.

1 hour ago, agsteele said:

No, not for me at least.  I just opened a note that covers several screens. I click in the middle of the first screen, for example, and the cursor is flashing at that point.

You don't say which version of Evernote you are using and which operating system.

You may benefit from rebuilding your data. On a desktop app:

File | Sign Out | Remove my data

When you sign back in your data will be restored from the cloud.

I have found a way to recreate this consistently for a particular scenario (shown in video above): when you first open the note, clicking into the first character position in the body sends you to the bottom of the screen. Scrolling back to the same position without moving the mouse and clicking again works, and the cursor appears in the first character position in the body. The exact thing happens again if you switch to a different note and back, or just click out of the note and back. Other positions seem to work as expected, as agsteel noted.

• Evernote Expert

Except that I don't have that experience either.  Even the first character position immediately after opening a note doesn't do that FOR ME.

Have you tried rebuilding your data as I suggested? Indeed, if that doesn't work a clean uninstall using Revo Uninstaller will completely remove all corrupted program files.

Failing that you may need to open a support ticket.

I just wanted to post and say I've never had this happen to me... until I followed the steps that you posted to recreate @Julia Meister. Now I can get it to happen every time on demand. So kudos for those detailed steps to reproduce.

It does seem like odd behavior and I wonder if it is by design for some reason. It seems more like a bug than anything to me.

In any case, it seems like you've got it figured out that it's always when you click in the first character position when you first open the note, so now you know to never click there when you first open the note if you don't want it to move the cursor to the very bottom.

I too am experiencing this annoying "feature" on the browser version. Thank you @Julia Meister for opening the support ticket!

Because of how Evernote used to work, I keep notes in reverse chronological order, where top is newest, and now it's changed???  Please change it back, or allow me to choose!

• Like 1
On 12/16/2022 at 8:14 AM, MRNoter said:

I keep notes in reverse chronological order, where top is newest, and now it's changed???  Please change it back, or allow me to choose!

If you want the cursor to jump to the bottom of your note, then click in the first cursor position when you first open the note. If you don't want it to jump to the bottom of the note, then click anywhere else in the note when you first open it. Seems like we already have the choice.

I thought this was a bug at first, but now I wonder if someone thought this was a cool feature to add. If it is a 'feature' - it seems to be undocumented. Either way, it's pretty easy to work with once you know what it's doing.

Finally I have a way of moving to the end of the note! This is an amazing feature for me, the last thing I was waiting on before upgrading. 

Now, if you want to skip to the end of the note, then only briefly tap your finger on the first line. If you don't want this to happen, and want to edit that first line instead, then long hold, just leave your finger there an extra fraction of a second. This works reliably for me.