Restore notes from accidentally deleted tags

Hans101
Go to solution Solved by Neil Maxfield,

Idea

Hello,

I accidentally deleted a tag and all the notes with that tag disappeared. I managed to disconnect the computer from the internet before Evernote synced so I loaded up the other computer on which I have Evernote to change the name of the tag, expecting that this would recover the situation.

Then I synced the second computer and saw the renamed tag and all the notes attached disappear in front of my eyes, extremely distressing!

My question is, are these notes deleted forever or are they still existing in trash (so that I can recover them manually from trash by going through all the notes in trash)??

8 replies to this idea

• Solution

Hey.  So we know that deleting a tag doesn't delete the note. We also know that your sorting mechanism is tags so I would assume every note is tagged (except the notes that had the deleted tag). If this is the case, if you pop -tag:* into the search box it will find all notes without a tag. Should do the job. If it doesn't, they're in the trash.

• Evernote Expert

They are probably not even in yeah. When you remove a tag the notes remain in the associated notebook. If you delete a notebook then they go to trash. But anything in yeah can be recovered. So don't empty the Trash and you'll be good to go. But first look in the notebook.

Hello, thanks agsteele. To be clear:

• I removed a tag (and all the notes tagged with that tag disappeared, I'm looking in deleted notes to see whether any of them are there, so far no luck)
  • I HAVEN'T deleted any notebook, in fact I only use one notebook (I use tags as the sorting mechanism, not notebooks)
  • I don't know what you mean by 'yeah' or where I can find 'yeah'

So any clarification will be helpful although it's encouraging you argue that the notes itself might still be there, thanks!

• Evernote Expert

'yeah' was a predictive text mistype. Sorry. Read 'trash'.

Deleting a tag will not remove or delete the notes using that tag. So the missing notes should be in your notebook.

Which version of Evernote do you use?

Neil, that was very helpful as I was looking in trash, but I found some in the main notebook, and your suggestion on search which gets all untagged notes is very helpful in this respect. I think this works, although I've plenty of notes to go through, but anyway, thanks a lot!

Also the other people who bothered to answer with suggestions, very helpful and many thanks!

• Like 1