Add a setting to remove the icon from the menu bar

elondaits

Idea

7 replies to this idea

1 hour ago, elondaits said:

This means that these menu bar icons should be opt-in, and not opt-out.

Yep - I agree, but that doesn't always work out 100% in practice. I believe I have several other apps that don't have a setting to disable the menu bar item either. Perhaps an Evernote setting for it will be one of the new settings hinted at in this thread (but I'm not holding my breath).

I don't ever use the Evernote menu bar icon either and if there was a setting to hide the Evernote icon I totally would enable it.

There is a pretty long thread somewhere in this forum with a discussion around this. Some suggestions in there are for using some kind of third-party menu bar organizer (like Bartender) to hide the Evernote icon (and other icons). I used to use Bartender and it is pretty great. Here is an open-source/free one too that I have heard about but haven't tried: https://github.com/dwarvesf/hidden. The benefit of using something like this is that it will work for Evernote and for a lot of the other apps that you use that also don't have a preference to hide the menu bar icon.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

If somebody talks about space on the menu bar, it is not individual settings per app what is missing. You then need a menu bar organizer.

Everything else falls short of solving the problem.

Just as a reminder: There are a lot of options in the Macs settings to disable menu bar items. Either off or only showing in the control center. I would apply these for starters.

I know about these, but I don't want to install any third-party tool that messes with core OS functionality and which might break with Mac OS updates or cause hard to identify problems.

Moreover, Apple's Human Interface Guidelines say

Let people — not your app — decide whether to enable your menu bar extra. Typically, people add a menu bar extra to the menu bar by changing a setting in an app’s settings window. To ensure discoverability, however, consider giving people the option of enabling the menu bar extra during setup.

This means that these menu bar icons should be opt-in, and not opt-out... so 100% there should be a way to remove them.

• Level 5

You can continue to tell you like this, you dislike that. Mildly interesting, I am always wondering why people prefer to create their own set of additional problems instead of taking good available solutions, and move on.

Menu bar organizers exist because obviously there are people who are using them. Me, for example. The menu bar is no „core OS Function“ (LOL - how can EN install its icon there if it’s core OS property ? All sort of apps install icons there ! ), I never had a problem with MacOS updates or „hard to find“ issues resulting from a clean & lean menu bar. 

We are other users here, and you got all advise you ever needed. Take it or leave it.

To talk to EN, use feedback or a support ticket.