Nesting Function Gone?

I've been using Evernote for more than 5 years, very happily. I use the the desktop version to manage a small e-newsletter business. We publish thousands of articles, written by scores of writers, on dozens of topics, and most articles go into multiple newsletters. As a result, I have hundreds of tags. I created additional tags to organize them. For example, I had  a tag for each author and nested them under the tag "AUTHORS." I run 26 newsletters a year in a dozen categories, and list each year's tags under the tag "YEAR: 2021" and so on. It worked very well.

Earlier this week, my computer completely crashed. It was unfixable, so I bought I new one and reloaded Evernote. I was careful, so all my data was easy to reload. I want to stress that as far as I can tell, ever single note and tag is there--except for each nested tag head.  So AUTHORS is gone and "YEAR: 2021" is gone, etc. I thought, OK, it'll only take me an hour or so to rebuild them, but the system won't let me.

That is, I recreated "AUTHORS." I right-click on it and it asks me if I want to create a NEW tag under it, but not move an OLD one. I then clicked on the tag for my writer "Jack." The only option I get is to move it to shortcuts. No option to move it under any other tag. I then tried to drag "Jack" under AUTHORS. But it wouldn't let me.

So my questions are:

1. Is there a way nesting is still available?

2. If not, is there some other organization feature? Because right now I just have several hundred tags that need to be organized.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

• Evernote Expert

I think this is how it should work and certainly does for me...

Imagine I have an existing tag which I want at the top of the tree called head_tag

I also have an existing tag or tags that I want to move under this called sub_tag

I open the tag menu.  I go to sub_tag in the list and tap the three dot menu.  I can see several options: I choose Move Tag. A window opens to ask me which tag I want to move it under.  I locate head_tag and click MOVE. This does exactly what I would expect and sub_tag is now a child of head_tag.

Thanks for this thoughtful and detailed response! This is helping me track the problem. I do get the three-dot menu, but as before, my only choice is to add it to shortcuts. I do NOT have the "move tag" choice. I have two theories:

1. This option is no longer available at my membership level.

2. In restoring the data, there was a conflict between new and old versions, which leads to this problem.

I'm going to upgrade and if that doesn't work, I'll try chatting with customer support, which may put me in touch with a programmer. 

30 minutes ago, RKoreto said:

I've been using Evernote for more than 5 years, very happily. I use the the desktop version to manage a small e-newsletter business. We publish thousands of articles, written by scores of writers, on dozens of topics, and most articles go into multiple newsletters. As a result, I have hundreds of tags. I created additional tags to organize them. For example, I had  a tag for each author and nested them under the tag "AUTHORS." I run 26 newsletters a year in a dozen categories, and list each year's tags under the tag "YEAR: 2021" and so on. It worked very well.

Earlier this week, my computer completely crashed. It was unfixable, so I bought I new one and reloaded Evernote. I was careful, so all my data was easy to reload. I want to stress that as far as I can tell, ever single note and tag is there--except for each nested tag head.  So AUTHORS is gone and "YEAR: 2021" is gone, etc. I thought, OK, it'll only take me an hour or so to rebuild them, but the system won't let me.

That is, I recreated "AUTHORS." I right-click on it and it asks me if I want to create a NEW tag under it, but not move an OLD one. I then clicked on the tag for my writer "Jack." The only option I get is to move it to shortcuts. No option to move it under any other tag. I then tried to drag "Jack" under AUTHORS. But it wouldn't let me.

So my questions are:

1. Is there a way nesting is still available?

2. If not, is there some other organization feature? Because right now I just have several hundred tags that need to be organized.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

What was the exact evernote version on your crashed computer, I assume it was still legacy or was it V10 already? If it was the latest V10, tags shouldn't just disappear after reinstalling it on another computer...

It says version 10.48.4, copyright 2022, so I assume it's current.

Here's another oddness: I do a lot of searches and I turned those searches into shortcuts. For example, I want to search all the stories that Jack wrote on Tax in 2021. I use the filter function for "Jack" "Tax" and "2021." That still works. But I used to be able to save that search as a shortcut. I can't anymore. I have to set up the filters each time. In the instructions there should be a "three dot" option to save the search as a shortcut, but it isn't there.

I'm thinking that somehow this is a version conflict. I'll download the client and try again. Thank you!

• Level 5

I have not read through the whole thread.

Saving searches still exists, setting a saved search as a shortcut as well. It can be (especially on desktop clients) that functions don’t work when the local database got corrupted. In this case uncheck „Keep data on leaving“ in settings, log out and quit the app.

Once you open it and log in again, it should draw a fresh copy from the server, healing deficiencies.

Getting stranger! I reloaded the Windows client and now I see a saved search button after I did my search. I saved the search but it didn't tell me where!

I'm getting the feeling Evernote is on its way out...

38 minutes ago, RKoreto said:

Getting stranger! I reloaded the Windows client and now I see a saved search button after I did my search. I saved the search but it didn't tell me where!

I'm getting the feeling Evernote is on its way out...

When saving the search you can opt to add the saved search to the shortcut list

Screenshot_-_4_nov__9_41_p_m_.png.2bdbd68653977b2b82fb20ae6c01bbb9.png

• Like 1
11 hours ago, RKoreto said:

I saved the search but it didn't tell me where!

I personally believe that saved searches are not given the prominence they deserve. If you click in the search bar the saved searches are there, in alphabetical order, and you can scroll through them.

image.png.fd8240997678af7d5bd5ca0571465fc8.png

• Like 1
12 hours ago, RKoreto said:

This is helping me track the problem. I do get the three-dot menu, but as before, my only choice is to add it to shortcuts. I do NOT have the "move tag" choice.

The other option is tyat in the main tags window or the sidebar you can simply drag the tags around to change the hierarchy.

19 hours ago, RKoreto said:

Earlier this week, my computer completely crashed. It was unfixable, so I bought I new one and reloaded Evernote. I was careful, so all my data was easy to reload.

From reading through this thread, it sounds like you had the old "legacy" version of Evernote and now you've loaded the new unfamiliar-to-you version 10. (But no way to be sure as there are no details about which version number was your old version.)

Unless you were using local-only notebooks on your old version of Evernote, all of your data (notes *and* tags) were synced back to the Evernote servers. When you log in to Evernote on a new computer, all your data will download to the new computer from the server -- even all the tags and tag structure.

What I'm --totally-- guessing here is that your missing data and missing tags and such is all there, it's just in a different place from what you have been used to all these years due to the major overhaul and UI-redesign back in 2020 (but you just got the update when you moved to the new computer).

• Level 5

If you were force upgraded to v10 from legacy, welcome to the living part of EN. Legacy is on the code graveyard already.

To familiarize yourself, there are a lot of official video clips by EN on their official YT channel.

Most of them are pretty short and focus on one aspect - perfect for reference, and faster than waiting for answers here.

Thanks to everyone for their help. I did get online with someone very helpful at Evernote. We worked out the search function issue, but can't seem to get the nesting issue to work out, either with the desktop client or online. Since the online version doesn't work either, there's something in the data. Anyway, they're passing it on to someone on the technical team, who will get back to me in a few days. We'll see how it goes. 

Thanks again!

• Like 1