Local notebooks missing

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Donnnliv said:

I upgraded to the new MAC OS  (note new evernote versoin) and evernote totally resynced everything from scratch and my local notebooks are missing. How do I recover?

Hi.  If you're talking about local (unsynced) notebooks,  they are no longer supported in v10 - Convert local notebooks

You should have been offered an opportunity to convert them to synced notebooks in the update but if you did not follow that through you may have to install the Legacy version of Evernote to get those notes back.

If you're referring to 'offline' notebooks,  see Access notes offline – Evernote Help & Learning for more

I was not offered an opportunity to convert them to synced notebooks. I use the legacy version on mac. Where exactly are these local notebooks stored on my mac so I can retrieve them? by the way I also changed my password so I dont know if that has something to do with it.

• Evernote Expert

The Evernote help pages suggest to run a tool inside Evernote v10 which will locate the local notebooks and export them for you.  However, the latest version of Evernote that I have installed no longer has that tool.  But you can check if it exists for you Tools | Check for Local Notebooks.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005107-Convert-local-notebooks

Assuming that this option is missing for you too your only option is reinstall the old version of Evernote. You can do this alongside v10.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

When it is installed you can access the list of notebooks and export the local ones as ENEX files.  Once exported you can import them into the newer version of Evernote.

• Level 5

The notebooks can be located in the legacy client - no need to find them somewhere on the Mac.

Once you have located them inside of EN legacy, you use the export function on each one. Name the ENEX files with the notebook name. The file name of the ENEX file will become the name of the new notebook once imported into v10.

Then open v10, and just double click on an ENEX file. It will import by itself into the v10 client and create a new notebook there, with all content saved in that file. This new notebook will now automatically sync with the EN cloud server. From then on, it will be part of the online database.

If you do not want to have it in the cloud, it is probably better to export to another format. Export to HTML may be a good option. It will create a folder, with subfolders, that can be opened in any browser. It serves as a longtime archive, because HTML coded content is quite universal, and can be opened with any browser software.