Unexpected font behavior in tables

Michael Harrison
Go to solution Solved by Boot17,

Idea

When I add a new row to an existing table, should the expectation be that the new row inherits all font properties (typeface, size, etc.) of the previous row?

In Evernote, it always changes. Here's a screen capture of what I'm referring to: https://imgur.com/a/N9r57C6

It's possible to mitigate this odd behavior by resetting the "Normal Text" Heading Level style, but I still think that this goes against standard expectations for text formatting. Am I wrong here?

3 replies to this idea

• Solution

I haven't thought about this before with regards to fonts (because I almost always only use the default font and size -- and I'd actually be ok if there were no other font options... but that is a topic for a different thread. 😃) so I wouldn't care either way if it kept the same font size or not when adding a new row because in my case it would almost always be the normal default font.

However, I would like the table to keep the cell background color when adding a new row. For example, if I have a table with 6 columns and all 6 columns have a different background color and then I add a new row, those cells in the new row are not colored like in this example:

image.png.470d5a0aa58ad19f974920c5f90bbd16.png

I could attempt to apply the background cell to each one manually, but that would be too slow! So instead, I can just highlight an existing row, copy it and then paste it into the new row and it will apply all the same cell colors. Click, Cmd-C, Click, Cmd-V. Really, it only takes a second or two.

Similarly, you could copy the previous row, paste it and then select all the text and write over the top of it and it will preserve the font (as long as you only select the whole text and *not* the entire cell) and other properties. A little bit more work for you than if it happened automatically, but less work than applying all properties manually.

Here is an example:

image.gif.e6045626101963451d2d11a24de197b5.gif

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
18 minutes ago, Michael Harrison said:

When I add a new row to an existing table, should the expectation be that the new row inherits all font properties (typeface, size, etc.) of the previous row?

Hi Michael,

Clearly it is your expectation and not entirely unreasonable. But it isn't mine. Actually I think I expect Evernote to default to the default fonts for a note. 

You can feedback to Evernote if you feel something else is appropriate.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, agsteele said:

Clearly it is your expectation and not entirely unreasonable. But it isn't mine. Actually I think I expect Evernote to default to the default fonts for a note.

I think it's my expectation because that's the way it works in MS Word, Google Docs, OpenOffice, etc. Pretty much every WYSIWYG document editor I can think of. But I can absolutely see the benefit of having it use the default font instead.