Join Notebook not working on public Notebook (across all platforms)

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

Background

I have a public Notebook (Data), and I share that link with students in my data analytics course. Almost none of the students are existing Evernote users, but most sign up during class.

Situation

They click the Notebook link and it loads the Notebook in a web browser. They click the "Join Notebook" message, but the Notebook is not available in their Evernote accounts online. It is also not available in their Evernote clients (regardless of OS). The Notebook does not appear in shared notebooks section, either.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Workaround

In order for students to access the Notebook, I'd need to input their email address directly (i.e., explicitly share the Notebook). If I do that, the Notebook appears in Evernote online and then in their local client.

Notes

A similar issue was raised in a different thread, but that one was following an update.
I am currently on the Evernote free tier, although I have subscribed to Evernote Premium in the past.
My desktop client version is 10.47.7-win-ddl-public (3730); Editor: v159.2.19536; Service: v1.59.4

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Do your students feed back to you,  or is the information flow just one way?  And I'm confused that clearly the shared data is available on the web,  though the 'join' button no longer works;  individual notes can also still be shared by URL,  and in v10 it's possible for subscribers to share out tasks and (I think) monitor their state. 

We're (mainly) just other users here,  so it may be worth your having a conversation with Support to see what options are open to you.

Meantime there's a third party freemium solution Postach.io which will convert a specific notebook into a public blog.  Any changes you make to notes in that notebook will be visible at the next sync - it might be an easier way to share information out from a free account.  If security is required,  the subscription version of Postach.io includes password entry to blog pages.

Meantime (if you didn't already know of him) there's a guy who might have some more ideas here... Educational Technology Guy: Evernote for Education

• Level 5

Dear all, in v10 the public sharing of a notebook was removed. Finito, Bang, Basta, Kaput. See the help article I posted.

It seems the function in the background was kept, but probably the trigger from the client is broken. So maybe there is still something in the public share, but it is not reliable and should be discontinued. Public sharing is still possible for individual notes.

To share a notebook, the recipients must receive an individual invitation by email - as correctly described in the opening post in this thread. This sort of sharing is private, and it still works fine. The share will show in the "Shared with me" section of the left column.

A working alternative is the EN-to-Blog concept offered by a 3rd party company. However watching at how many Free users are here used to get rich features without contributing, I doubt they will pick up this bill.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Dear all, in v10 the public sharing of a notebook was removed. Finito, Bang, Basta, Kaput. See the help article I posted.

It seems the function in the background was kept, but probably the trigger from the client is broken. So maybe there is still something in the public care, but it is not reliable and should be discontinued. Public sharing is still possible for individual notes.

To share a notebook, the recipients must receive an individual invitation by email - as correctly described in the opening post in this thread. This sort of sharing is private, and it still works fine. The share will show in the "Shared with me" section of the left column.

A working alternative is the EN-to-Blog concept offered by a 3rd party company. However watching at how man Free users are here used to get rich features without contributing, I doubt they will pick up this bill.

Solved but means I have to share 67 notes as opposed to one Notebook 🙄

• Level 5

Yes, it reduces the feasibility of some use cases a lot. The last information I’ve heard somewhere is that EN is working on getting it back to work inside of EN Teams subscriptions - like allowing a company wide bulletin board for one Teams user group. This means as well that there will probably be no return of the function for the general public.

Maybe you can change the organization of the notes you share. Let’s say you share the teaching material for each lesson held. Up to now you did it by a single note per lesson. Maybe switch to one note for the whole course, and share it to the students. Then just add the new teaching material after class to that note, to keep the note count low.

Thanks for the detailed response, @PinkElephant. I'll add students manually for this semester, then come up with a different solution for the future.

For those curious (e.g., @gazumped), my Notebook has a few hundred Notes about publicly available sources of sport data. There is an incredible amount of wonderful sport data available online, but it can be overwhelming for students; this provided a more curated selection. Each Note had information about a resource, including links, data information, some screenshots, etc.

More importantly, the Notes were tagged. Students could say, "I want data on baseball player salaries," and filter for #baseball and #salaries. I've seen other similar lists on Twitter or in Google Sheets, but I built this in Evernote to take advantage of the the tags and rich content notes.

Screenshot of sample note page (link to note)

image.thumb.png.dde71c1250834b9bf5865ce2e088f597.png

• Like 3
  • Evernote Expert

I don't think anyone had noted that, for now at least, you could continue sharing the NOTEBOOK using the Legacy version of Evernote. You can run both alongside one another. It will count as another device so not, perhaps, something for a Free plan customer.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, K_R said:

More importantly, the Notes were tagged. Students could say, "I want data on baseball player salaries," and filter for #baseball and #salaries. I've seen other similar lists on Twitter or in Google Sheets, but I built this in Evernote to take advantage of the the tags and rich content notes.

I'd still suggest you look into Postach.io as a possible option - my (rather neglected) site is here:  Cliffe Actual which is simply a notebook in my (now) v10 database.  Postach.io supports tags,  in-and between- note HTML links,  and markdown.  

• Like 1