I use two EN devices, but still being forced to upgrade

Go to solution Solved by Dave-in-Decatur,

I was planning to return to my EN account yesterday only to find that every login triggers the upgrade request.

On my first recent login I followed the instruction and assigned two devices for my free account: one for mobile and one for laptop. However that did not help, on every logon EN shows me the request to switch off my 2 devices or upgrade the account. As I have not used EN recently - no recent clippings or docs or notes, nothing, I don't think it might trigger an upgrade for that reason. 

I don't have the access to my notes and docs, that are already there. I can't assess where free functionality is enough for my current purposes. I am simply forced to upgrade. It is something that appears desperate and does not nurture user loyalty.

I would highly appreciate any help and suggestions how to tackle the issue.

• Level 5
  • Solution

Hi, and welcome to the forums. This can occur if you happen to use both the Evernote desktop app on your laptop and the Evernote Web client. Each of them counts as a "device," and when you add the mobile app that makes 3. The place to check is on the Devices page in your account settings: https://www.evernote.com/Devices.action. That will show you what devices you have used that Evernote is aware of, and if there are more than 2, you can revoke access to one or more.

Another, more remote possibility is that your account password was stolen and someone else has logged into your account on a different device. This has happened when people use an easy password on multiple services. If it gets stolen on one service, it can be used on the others. If you see an unrecognized device on the Devices page, that could be the case. In that case, change your password immediately to something unique to your Evernote account.

30 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Hi, and welcome to the forums. This can occur if you happen to use both the Evernote desktop app on your laptop and the Evernote Web client. Each of them counts as a "device," and when you add the mobile app that makes 3. The place to check is on the Devices page in your account settings: https://www.evernote.com/Devices.action. That will show you what devices you have used that Evernote is aware of, and if there are more than 2, you can revoke access to one or more.

Another, more remote possibility is that your account password was stolen and someone else has logged into your account on a different device. This has happened when people use an easy password on multiple services. If it gets stolen on one service, it can be used on the others. If you see an unrecognized device on the Devices page, that could be the case. In that case, change your password immediately to something unique to your Evernote account.

Thanks a lot for the link for device check. That's pretty strange - I did updated device access on my first recent login, as it was suggested in the prompt window. However, once I deleted all inactive devices via that link today, the request to upgrade the account disappeared.

• Like 2