Legacy feature not honoured : NoteBooks Sort Order fixed for each NoteBook

• 11 months later...

I thought the "Save Current View Options For This Notebook" was to save the Sort order as well but it seems not.

It's difficult to understand how these decisions better position Evernote in the notes market.

• Level 5

Every nickely bitely feature that is present in v10 is 100% coded fresh. There is no carry over of code.

I think they pretty much analyzed how users were really using legacy. I mean „all users“, not only those with exotic use cases and a tendency to be vocational about it in public places like here. Just to set this straight, there is nothing wrong about exotic use cases or making yourself heard.

The former management that took the decisions of what to implement, and in which sequence had this information in mind for sure.

It is sort of a statement what did not make a carry over as a function from legacy.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, bakula said:

I thought the "Save Current View Options For This Notebook" was to save the Sort order as well but it seems not.

It's difficult to understand how these decisions better position Evernote in the notes market.

I agree this was a useful feature.  I used it as well.  Once they get the stability and speed issues addressed and they start to look at UI improvements as they have suggested, I hope they will consider additions such as this.

• Thanks 1

I'd be curious if a distinction was made between those exotic or power-user use cases, and whether they are free/paying users.

Making decisions that risk losing supporting users while claiming that the overall pool of users isn't making that much use of a certain feature is an odd take, in my opinion.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, bakula said:

I'd be curious if a distinction was made between those exotic or power-user use cases, and whether they are free/paying users.

I really doubt that they did a deep dive analysis of every feature to determine whether it was worthy of implementing in V10 or not.  This was written from scratch and I think it was rather more likely that they first had a list of basic functionality needed so they could push it out as quickly as possible, which they did, though too soon in my opinion.  Then, at some later date, start adding back in some of the user requests.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

It may be of interest to try to cluster users into groups, and to distinguish between paying and Free looks like a natural - if there are in fact significant (!) differences that are not rooted in what is allowed for which user group.

But in general I am against this „power user“ labeling. It is often used here to tell „I am such a power user, I must be taken as more important than others“. No, power users are not necessarily to be taken more important than others. Take user A, not „power user“, using the service comfortably, but well within bonds (500 MB upload, etc.). And then the „power user“ B, self declared, stretching the limits, server load extremely much higher etc., but paying the same subscription.

Is it really the „power user“ devs should focus ? And maybe the „little“ guy A is just more efficient, than the „power user“ B, who creates a lot of movement and system stress, but without reaching goals efficiently.

No, power users are no good target group - even if they are what they claim they are, measured rather in realistic terms than oversized egos.

I don't know why you went with the "power user" label rather than the "paying user" label.

If the point of Evernote is running a business and profiting from it, then of course more weight should be given to keeping the paying base of users marginally more satisfied than the free users or at the very least not be as dismissive about their criticisms over the choice of features that have been lopped-off.

In one of your posts you actually invited people to leave Evernote if they weren't satisfied with the V10 feature set and you have to wonder if this reflects management's point-of-view. If so, this probably should be made official.

• Level 5

Sure I tell fellow users to decide, and if they decide to leave, they should leave. Where is the problem - I am a user, not a mouthpiece of anybody ?

Personally I think there are many good reasons to stay, and more good reasons to prefer v10 over legacy. I offer help for others , based on my own experience. If it helps them to make a decision pro EN, fine with me.

I would never raise myself over other users by calling myself a „power user“. The only power user is the one who solves his problems by cleverly applying a tool, without loosing themselves on the way. 

My impression is that many so called „power users“ have inundated themselves in overly complicated, overly organized uses of EN. That may be the reason that they sometimes find it hard to switch to v10 - they believe that their use case depends in a little feature that they don’t find in v10. And they are so overpowered by their own overuse, that they lost a most important property: The ability to be flexible, and to innovate. No real power in such users, in my opinion. And no reason to rebuild everything just as in legacy, just to make moving an effortless action.

Real power users overcome such irrelevancies.

• Like 1