Open Cronofy/Web link in desktop app

I use Cronify to create calendar events when I set reminders in notes. When you click on the event in your calendar it gives you an embedded Evernote link to open the note the reminder is for.

When I click the link on my Android phone, it opens my Evernote app and brings me straight to the notebook.

When I click on the calendar link on Windows desktop it opens a new Chrome tab each time.

Is there a way to open the Evernote Windows app just like Android app?

• Level 5

I do the same thing. On my (older) Android phone, clicking the Cronofy link actually opens an Evernote logon tab in my browser, but then proceeds to the note in the app (since Evernote can't run in a browser tab on Android). In Windows, clicking the link does indeed open the note in a browser tab. Basically, this seems to be the intended behavior, and while I'm not crazy about it either, it can have the advantage of having the note in question open in a browser window while I work on other Evernote notes in the app. Of course, this is likely to be due to the way Cronofy operates more than to Evernote; it may not have the wherewithal to open an app instead of a browser window.

2 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I do the same thing. On my (older) Android phone, clicking the Cronofy link actually opens an Evernote logon tab in my browser, but then proceeds to the note in the app (since Evernote can't run in a browser tab on Android). In Windows, clicking the link does indeed open the note in a browser tab. Basically, this seems to be the intended behavior, and while I'm not crazy about it either, it can have the advantage of having the note in question open in a browser window while I work on other Evernote notes in the app. Of course, this is likely to be due to the way Cronofy operates more than to Evernote; it may not have the wherewithal to open an app instead of a browser window.

Well said. All true. But it sure would be much cleaner to open in the app. 🤓😎

• Level 5

Agreed (at least for some; others may prefer it this way). In my experience, Cronofy has had a pretty responsive support department, and it might be worth raising it with them. Since the link in the Calendar event is actually a Cronofy link (of the form http://in.cronofy.com/Aa1bB2Cc3), it is Cronofy that decides what to open when it is clicked.

1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Agreed (at least for some; others may prefer it this way). In my experience, Cronofy has had a pretty responsive support department, and it might be worth raising it with them. Since the link in the Calendar event is actually a Cronofy link (of the form http://in.cronofy.com/Aa1bB2Cc3), it is Cronofy that decides what to open when it is clicked.

Hmmm. Good point. I'll check that out..

• James000 changed the title to Open Cronofy/Web link in desktop app
  • 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to understand where this was going: currently cronify works well in the sense that when I send a reminder to evernote it will show up on my google calendar in windows.  However, when I try to click on that link in the google calendar it does NOT take me back to the note.  Instead it gives me a "bad gateway" message.  On my iphone there is no problem ie: clicking on the cronofy link in the calendar will take me to to the note within Evernote.  Therefore, can I assume that this feature will simply not work in windows?  I didn't really understand the advice regarding "Apps for websites" 

9 hours ago, idoc said:

Just wanted to understand where this was going: currently cronify works well in the sense that when I send a reminder to evernote it will show up on my google calendar in windows.  However, when I try to click on that link in the google calendar it does NOT take me back to the note.  Instead it gives me a "bad gateway" message.  On my iphone there is no problem ie: clicking on the cronofy link in the calendar will take me to to the note within Evernote.  Therefore, can I assume that this feature will simply not work in windows?  I didn't really understand the advice regarding "Apps for websites" 

In the scenario you describe above, I was trying to get the cronofy link to open up in the Evernote Windows app.

For your desired result, You can go into settings, in windows, and choose what file type or link type opens in applications or browsers you specify.

• Level 5
On 11/5/2022 at 2:02 PM, idoc said:

currently cronify works well in the sense that when I send a reminder to evernote it will show up on my google calendar in windows.  However, when I try to click on that link in the google calendar it does NOT take me back to the note.  Instead it gives me a "bad gateway" message. 

I have been seeing this more frequently lately also. I assume that it is a Cronofy problem, since that seems to be the bad gateway, and it might be good to raise it with their support. I've found them to be responsive in the past.