IOS 16.1 crash

• Level 5

No, not a single moment there was a problem. iPhones and iPads are now all on 16.1, and EN is running smoothly. Devices are from 5 years old to a new iPhone 14 Plus. I can confirm that 10.42 is currently the latest release of the EN client. 

If you can’t open the app, you can only uninstall, switch the device off, on again, reinstall and try to open it. If it opens, but crashes while using it, try to log out first, then close the app, reopen and log in. If this doesn’t help, do the uninstall. If this doesn’t help, try a hard reset of the I-device. There are several methods, depending on the device, so check which one applies to your setup.

Last exit is support. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

It may crash on YOUR Monterey Mac, it does for sure not crash on MY Monterey (not on my Intel MacBook Pro, not on my M1 MacMini).

What does this tell ? 

The app runs fine, but you have a bad install.

Uninstall, using AppCleaner, make sure to remove everything. Restart the Mac, reinstall EN from the EN website.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5

This thread (if you would have taken the time to read through it you would have noticed) is about MacOS, not iOS.

This is the first reason why opposite to what you say you do NOT have „the same issue“.

The second reason why you don’t have „the same issue“ is that you don’t use release grade software. Your iOS version is 16.2, which is still in beta. The latest official version is 16.1.1.

If you want to report a problem with a beta, contact support.

5 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

This thread (if you would have taken the time to read through it you would have noticed) is about MacOS, not iOS.

This is the first reason why opposite to what you say you do NOT have „the same issue“.

That is incorrect. This thread is titled "iOS 16 crash" and the OP posted about an issue with IOS. Another user then posted two weeks later about EN crashing on MacOS to which you responded about something with regards to MacOS. 

• Level 5

There was exactly this initial post, the thread owner never answered or confirmed  - which in itself should be a reason to close the thread - and from then on it was all Mac.

And again - my main point is that the last post was about iOS beta 16.2 with a crash.

This is not „the same problem“, as posted. And the thread title explicitly reads „iOS 16.1“.

This is not splitting hair, we have way too many posts here telling about „same problems“ when checking they are not „the same“.

Upgraded to IPad OS 16.1 and I’ve been having problems with Evernote crashing since the upgrade.

- I have deleted the app completely off the iPad and reinstalled fresh from the app store.

- works fine for about a week and then all the sudden Evernote starts acting sluggish until the point that it crashes.

- Repeated deleting the app and trying to reinstall it again, and does the same thing (crashes after about a week)

*Evernote, please assign this to your BUG tracker. Those of us here, as you can see are having issues. Please put out an update soon. Thanks!!

• Level 5

No EN staff on the forum.

Issue a support ticket if you feel something should be checked. Do so from the device with the trouble. Attach an activity log.

iOS 16.1.1 (if still on 16.1. you should update), EN 10.44 iOS. No issues, working fine for me on an iPad Air 5.

10 hours ago, DCPM said:

I have deleted the app completely off the iPad and reinstalled fresh from the app store.- works fine for about a week and then all the sudden Evernote starts acting sluggish until the point that it crashes.

Sounds very familiar. For months, the android client suffers similar sluggish behavior: after a fresh install it's ok but it gets useless after a week or two.

Please raise a ticket.

• 1 month later...

Still doesn’t work on my iPhone. I’ve followed every troubleshooting suggestions here in the forum (lots of threads for this topic) and still EN crashes. I need an app that I can trust works and sync with all my devices. So now I’ve taken the decision to leave EN for another app. 

Erase the app, restart your phone, erase website data, force restart your phone, delete the app, download the app, log out and log in, delete everything, and then do it all over again but in reverse order...
I can't bother anymore. I want an app that works without me having to be a tech guy.

• Level 5

The last advice was for how to contact support. If your browser locks you out of the login, you either wipe the browser cache, or (another option) you use a different browser.

About the crash on the iOS device: I use iOS extensively. I never had an app problem that would have survived a forced restart. If it does, there may be these root causes:

• The app has a defect.

No, this app has AFAIK no fatal defect (I run it on a bunch of iOS devices, my wife as well, and we don't have trouble installing and using EN on any of them). The current version is 10.46, just to mention.

• iOS has a defect

In this case it needs to be reinstalled. If EN is the only app that crashes, it is not very likely, but possible. Current iOS is 16.2 - I hope you are not on a beta version.

• The device has a defect. Unlikely, if only EN crashes.

If you make it to support, they will likely have a bunch of tech questions as well.

I know. And you have been very lucky. I've read probably all of your posts here. You have been blessed with an EN life without any problems. But how many times over the years have you answered questions about problems with sync, crashing app, problems with support, etc? To many, if you ask me.

I love the concept of EN. But I just can't have an app I can't rely on. Coming to a meeting with my iPad and EN can't sync. Or it crashes. One time is one time too many.

• Level 5

Well, maybe its just luck, or good Karma.

But I doubt it - usually there are reasons behind what's happening.

Take sync - I strongly believe that many users don't understand the syncing concept, and expect the EN sync to happen just like the sync of - say- Google Drive. But it is different syncing a file, and syncing something as complex as an EN note with attachments, tags, tasks and maybe reminders. Let alone to understand what it means that every sync flows from an active device to the server first, and then to all other devices. No, it will not sync in a blink, and touching the same note on one of the passive devices before it had time to sync will cause a note conflict. Understanding what happens leads to avoid actions that will force unexpected outcome.

But I can assure you: I have had my own bunch of problems as well. My ticket count is way beyond 300. Most of them solved (not only closed), fortunately.

• Like 2