"Check for Updates" not working. Any recommendations on updating to v10?

Go to solution Solved by Boot17,

Hi!

I use the Free version of Evernote, and use it on my PC and Android phone.  The PC runs Windows 10, and I regularly check for updates (just declined to go to Win11).  I am admin on the machine, and it has good specs.  The version is 6.25.1.9091 (309091) Public (CE Build ce-62.6.10954). (On Android it is 10.4.1).

An Evernote email alerted me to the existence of Tasks today ...wha?  What are those?  So I watched a video or two and noticed that the desktop app there looked totally different from mine.  And that I didn't have an "Insert" menu.  Again: whaaa-aaa?

So I check for an update, and get "there are no updates available at this time", etc.    A little more sleuthing makes clear to me that Evernote is now on version ...10?  Wow.  (Were there versions 7, 8, an 9?).  I do recall when my phone updated to version 10, and I didn't like it, so I rolled it back to the last version that looked familiar.  Eventually I was forced to update, I think, because Android updated and would not run the legacy version.

So ...I am now enlightened and aware that a version 10 exists for my PC.  I downloaded it, and am wondering: should I make the leap?  And ...if I don't like it, will I be able to roll back to Evernote_6.24.2.8919?  I still have that executable.  Since the "check for update" feature is not working, should I expect issues with a manual update to 10.47.7?

Are the new features worth the change?  I currently use MS To Do for task management, and although I do like it ...the idea of using one app for notes and task management sounds nice.  That said, I still do not like Evernote 10.4.1 on Android.  It is slower than the "original versions", and I still prefer the original UX.  And MS ToDo is very quick.  Apart from Tasks, I am not sure what else I am missing out on that I'd use.  For context, I don't share my notes with others.  I am a daily user, with ~1,100 notes.

Thanks for your time and especially for any answers/thoughts you can share.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Turkeypants Jackson said:

Hi!

I use the Free version of Evernote, and use it on my PC and Android phone.  The PC runs Windows 10, and I regularly check for updates (just declined to go to Win11).  I am admin on the machine, and it has good specs.  The version is 6.25.1.9091 (309091) Public (CE Build ce-62.6.10954). (On Android it is 10.4.1).

An Evernote email alerted me to the existence of Tasks today ...wha?  What are those?  So I watched a video or two and noticed that the desktop app there looked totally different from mine.  And that I didn't have an "Insert" menu.  Again: whaaa-aaa?

So I check for an update, and get "there are no updates available at this time", etc.    A little more sleuthing makes clear to me that Evernote is now on version ...10?  Wow.  (Were there versions 7, 8, an 9?).  I do recall when my phone updated to version 10, and I didn't like it, so I rolled it back to the last version that looked familiar.  Eventually I was forced to update, I think, because Android updated and would not run the legacy version.

So ...I am now enlightened and aware that a version 10 exists for my PC.  I downloaded it, and am wondering: should I make the leap?  And ...if I don't like it, will I be able to roll back to Evernote_6.24.2.8919?  I still have that executable.  Since the "check for update" feature is not working, should I expect issues with a manual update to 10.47.7?

Are the new features worth the change?  I currently use MS To Do for task management, and although I do like it ...the idea of using one app for notes and task management sounds nice.  That said, I still do not like Evernote 10.4.1 on Android.  It is slower than the "original versions", and I still prefer the original UX.  And MS ToDo is very quick.  Apart from Tasks, I am not sure what else I am missing out on that I'd use.  For context, I don't share my notes with others.  I am a daily user, with ~1,100 notes.

Thanks for your time and especially for any answers/thoughts you can share.

Version 10 does not support local notebooks. 

• Like 1
  • Solution
1 hour ago, Turkeypants Jackson said:

Will you be able to roll back? Yes. You can run them both in parallel like @Pink shared. Some of the new content (Tasks, Calendar integration) can not be displayed in the old version.

Should you expect issues? I don't think so. v10 is a little slower than version 6 on Desktop, but probably not as big a difference as on your Android.

"Since the "check for update" feature is not working," - I think that was by design and it was good a choice. If they would have updated people to v10 through that process there would have been a major reckoning. Plus you can think of it as a brand new version of Evernote -- almost a different product -- vs an upgrade to the existing software.

1 hour ago, Turkeypants Jackson said:

Are the new features worth the change?

It was for me and for a lot of others. (I would guess for most). But there are also many that still prefer the old version for various reasons. I also happen to like the UI more in v10 than the old version.

Evernote has become my daily driver for tasks now and since I need to use both Mac and Windows machines, I love that I can have a unified look across both platforms and that my tasks and notes are cross compatible across both. (I was more just a Mac/iPhone user and used an Apple specific task management system before and so I didn't have access to it on my Windows machine.) Having the look and feel consistent with mobile is also very very nice.

There are a lot of good discussions (as well as heated discussions) in this forum with regards to the new version.

The best part is that you can try it out for a bit and see if you like it or not and still use the old one if you don't like the new one (at least for a little while until the old stops syncing).

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you to Boot17, PinkElephant and Dab1 for your help.   This all has been extremely helpful, and I'm especially grateful to Boot17 for taking the time to really get into the weeds with their answer.  🙏🙂.

This business about no more local notebooks in 10 ...is just for Free users like me?  Does it mean what I think, ie, that I won't be able to access, say, my commuter train-table note when I'm on the subway and have no signal?

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

No. The Local notebooks feature in the old version of Evernote was to allow you to hold notes which NEVER went ONLINE. Never stored in the cloud. v10 will keep notes for you to view when off line. For mobile devices you have a setting which keeps a copy of some notebooks on your device. You choose so that you control how much data is stored on your phone. For laptops you can access anything in your account provided Evernote was open before you went offline.

• Like 1