Windows "send to" function - can't set that up any longer?

Go to solution Solved by agsteele,

Now that the Evernote executable is placed in a version dependent folder, is the old "send to Evernote" shortcut on Windows no longer possible?

Also, my scanner (Canon) can pass documents to an executable. (How) Can I get that to work again?

(lots of surprises, after setting up my new PC, including migrating from Win 10 to 11)

• 2 weeks later...

On my by now old Windows 10 notebook, that "send to" explorer function was there.

Now that I've migrated to Win 11, there's no such function/link; the installation didn't create it. So I was wondering how to go about that and then noticed that the executable's folder location can no longer be relied upon - it seems, at least to me.

@agsteele, did you create that link to the current location of the executable? On my system, that would be:

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Evernote.Evernote_10.47.7.0_x64__q4d96b2w5wcc2\app

and that does look version dependent to me.

• Evernote Expert
  • Solution

Ah, so you have the Microsoft Store app. That version of Evernote suffers a number of limitations brought on by being in the store. One is, I think, the automatic creation of the send to link.  However, all is not lost.  Your first option is to uninstall the store app and download and install the app direct from the Evernote website.  That should automatically fix the send-to link.

Alternatively, if you want to stick with the store application I think you can do the following. I'm not absolutely certain since I haven't got the store app installed to try out.

1. Create a shortcut to the store app on your desktop.

• Open the Run dialog with Win+R then enter shell:AppsFolder
  • Locate the shortcut icon for Evernote
  • Copy and Paste to the desktop

2. Open the Windows sendto folder Win+R and enter shell:sendto

• Copy the Evernote shortcut and paste into the sendto folder

3. Test that the sendto link now works. It will depend on the Store app accepting sendto activity.

Let us know how that goes.  For sure using the download from the Evernote website will resolve this issue and avoid other limitations of the Store app.

Thanks very much for your detailed reply with instructions, @agsteele.

I hadn't been aware of the two versions, and the differences between these. I went ahead and tried to set up that send to link in the "sendto" folder - no luck though, it seems the MS store version doesn't want to play that way.

So now I've changed over to the version available directly from Evernote. "Send to" works as expected.

What a strange idea, to have two versions around that are just slightly different ...

• Level 5

This are not 2 versions, from EN. It is the very same version.

However, the store version (same with Apple on the Mac) executes the software in a sandbox. This is for enhanced security, but makes moving content in and out of the sandbox more difficult. EN can't do much about it, the restrictions are applied by the operating system.

The direct download does not have this sort of problems.