Zombie tags that can't be deleted

I have a list of tags hanging around, probably from around 2015. (I removed all the notes they were referring to.)

When I right-click on one, I can't delete it or take any other action other than "Add to Shortcuts"

When I add a new tag, it acts normally.

Any ideas on what these "zombie tags" are and how to get rid of them?

Thanks,
Rick

2022-10-11_14-15-07.png

2022-10-11_14-15-20.png

Great question!. I think they are from my notes that I shared to others. I removed the tags from the notes, since I was hoping to delete the tags.

I could remove all of the sharing, since none is relevant any more. Do you think that might help?

After a little more digging, it appears there was a Notebook that was shared with me in 2015. I killed all the notes and chose "Leave Notebook" from the notebook's ... menu. Unfortunately all the zombie tags are still there, unable to be deleted.

One thing that's interesting is that these only show up in the desktop and mobile apps, but not on the web.

I wanted to start using tags in Evernote, but with over 20 zombies, its' going to make it pretty hard.

Is there any kind of data check/cleanup tool? Maybe export everything then start over and re-import?  I have over 1300 notes, so that's a little sacary as well. Or maybe deleting re-installing the apps?

• Level 5

There have been a lot of threads in these forums about zombie shared notes/notebooks. What happens, apparently, is that once something has been shared, only the person that shared it can remove the share completely. The person who received the share can delete notes, but ghost features, apparently including tags, can remain. The best solution at present may be to contact the person who shared the notebook to you in 2015 and ask them to unshare it.

I'm not sure what exactly fixed it, but after leaving the shared notebook and deleting the notes, eventually the tags disappeared. This wasn't immediate. I noticed it first on the web, then a while later on my Macbook, then later ion my iMac. Just now they disappeared from iOS.  So I'm guessing there is some kind of background data cleanup that goes on, and it takes a while to sync to all the devices.

Really happy that Evernote seems to be pretty robust on this kind of thing. We all know how important it is to keep things clean.

Thanks for your help!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Thanks for sharing your experience. Since everything that needs to happen on the devices needs to happen on the server copy first, it is consistent that it first takes effect on the web, and then spreads over devices while the syncs are happening.

Thinking about it it makes sense that tags on a shared note can’t be removed as long as the share is active.