User unable to see some of my notes

MrHollywood

Idea

I have my entire notebook shared with my wife, and it has been for years, so this is not a new setup or share.

But she is not able to see any notes I have added since March 2021

We are both using the free/web only version, so there obviously cannot be able sync issues since I am not syncing from any device.

Although I have the feeling this issue started since they removed access to he desktop and mobile apps for free users.

7 replies to this idea

• Evernote Expert

Free users have access to desktop and mobile as well as web. But each user is limited to two devices. Web is a good option for a free user since you can use it on multiple devices. But they is no limit as you describe.

I'm not sure why you wife would not see these notes inside the shared notebook. I'd probably try disabling the share then resharing.

• Like 2

@MrHollywood - no, that is not the case. @agsteele is correct. Free users can use Evernote on Desktop and mobile but only on two devices (and the web version counts as one device)

See here https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005157-Compare-Evernote-subscription-plans where it states that Free users can sync across two devices.

I'm curious what made you think that though? I've never heard someone think that before.

• Level 5

Free users are entitled to 2 clients at any time. Any mix of clients is possible, but it is a maximum of 2. This has not changed.

What has changed is this:

The web client is counted as a „device“ since October 2020, because following EN it has feature parity. It still is a special client for Free users, because you can access your account on many physical devices through the web client - it will only be counted once.

EN is now enforcing the 2 client rule. If you try to connect from another, you are asked to unsync or upgrade. In a few cases, you will not get any notification, but the account will simply not open on the additional device.

The number of unsyncs has been limited to 2 unsyncs within 30 days. This is to avoid „client hopping“, as some „clever“ users tried to get around the Free restrictions. If the syncs and unsyncs happen in a nasty sequence, this can lead to a complete lock out for 30 days. In these cases the only fast solution is to subscribe, which lifts the unsync barrier.

That EN enforces the Free plans limits came as a surprise to some users. But anybody can upgrade, any time …

You can keep saying that till the cows come home, but it does not change the fact that neithe rmyself nor my wife is able to use either the mobile app or the desktop app on the free plan anymore.
It stopped working some time ago and told that I must upgrade, so we are  forced to use the web app.

• Level 5

Since both you are your wife are experiencing something that is not expected (I assume you actually clicked on the link that @Boot17 posted, which is more than a homesick cow), it's likely that you both have more than 2 devices going. From the Web app, try going to https://www.evernote.com/Devices.action and seeing how many devices are listed. If more than 2, very carefully (since you can only do this twice in 30 days) pick which excess device you want to revoke.

But none of this explains why your wife can't see any notes added since March 2021. What happened when you disabled the share and re-enabled it, as @agsteele suggested?

https://www.evernote.com/Devices.action shows 2 devices
current mobile device and web

I just installed the mobile app again and gave it another try and mysteriously it seems to have started working again. No idea why, I did not change anything.

My wife couldn't cannot even log into the web app from her PC, but was able to login from her phone, so removed her devices there.

so it eems even the web app limits you from logging in from only 1 device. So if you have logged into website form more than 1 devices, you get locked out.