Feedback on the information displayed in the "Evernote App Center"

Go to solution Solved by Dave-in-Decatur,

Hello there!

Earlier today while browsing around your website, more in specific, within the "Evernote app center - Web apps" section, I noticed that some of the apps advertised there no longer exist!!, more over, it seems they have not been running for a while since their domains are already for sale!

Such is the case of:

• Mohiomap
  • Mya

(screenshots attached)

Which makes me wonder why Evernote is not paying attention to these details nor updating the information displayed on its webpage on time...
I mean, come on guys!!  (no hard feelings)

I hope this feedback has been useful to you.

Best Regards!

Screen Shot.jpg

Screen Shot.jpg

I didn't even know this resource existed. I had to go and have a look. 

Very disappointing, its an app graveyard. Even those still available, the links, screenshots etc are postively ancient. 
I'd think if its not being maintained, Evernote would be better off retiring the page. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

This is what I told EN in my ticket: Remove it from the web, or (better) revise it.

Since v10 does not really offer many options for devs to work with the installed app, what is left are apps that access the API. There are still a bunch, but the "family" got a lot smaller once v10 replaced the legacy apps.

Unfortunately EN still keeps a link from the official website to this "AppCenter" disgrace, through the devs page:

https://dev.evernote.com

• Level 5
  • Solution

It was certainly behind my horizon. @Charles CH., these forums are primarily user-to-user, and not a very good way of giving Evernote direct feedback. Wandering around looking for the app center, I came across this page: https://appcenter.evernote.com/about, which has a link to "drop us a line." That would be the most useful way to report the issue.

• Thanks 1

Trust me.  They are well aware of this and the developer pages as well.  

When Evernote was going through their rough patch not that long ago, they chose to leave all this dead content out there.  I love Evernote.  It was a business decision.  The app center is not active as far as I can tell and nothing has been added or removed in many years.  Same is basically true for the developer portal that supported developers as the docs there are not a true representation of the backend today.  

Good news is, they're working on it and they do know it.  I don't think there are inaccuracies as much as omissions.   Evernote is on the mend, but this has not and will not be a quick process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

I hear you, but I think differently.

The AppCenter is as dead as it can be - if it was a fish, we would be running from it just because of the smell. Many apps listed rely on a scripting access, and this has come to an end with v10. Others are dead themselves, like the Mohio project. Last time I looked for it, the website was for sale. It does EN no good to keep this stuff online.

Different story for the Devs center - the API is still out there, ready for use. But it would be good if it was up to date. Or even better if it would be switched to modern software deployment tools, like GitHub. The Devs center could serve as an entry point, but the actual documentation (with releases, versioning and all that stuff) could be hosted on a better tool than a "dumb" website.

18 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

I hear you, but I think differently.

The AppCenter is as dead as it can be - if it was a fish, we would be running from it just because of the smell. Many apps listed rely on a scripting access, and this has come to an end with v10. Others are dead themselves, like the Mohio project. Last time I looked for it, the website was for sale. It does EN no good to keep this stuff online.

Different story for the Devs center - the API is still out there, ready for use. But it would be good if it was up to date. Or even better if it would be switched to modern software deployment tools, like GitHub. The Devs center could serve as an entry point, but the actual documentation (with releases, versioning and all that stuff) could be hosted on a better tool than a "dumb" website.

I didn't say I agreed with the business decision, just that they made one.  I have an app in the app center, so I'm not complaining (except that I can't update my entry with my new logo and features).  As for the developer center, It will be entirely redone.  They've decided (to date) to leave it untouched instead of incrementally updating things (like the code structure for checklists).  It was built for the standard of its day and I think they will rebuild for the standards of the day they release it.

While I don't agree with all their decisions, I actually admired their willingness to focus on fixing the hardest issues and ignoring everything else (and I mean everything) for a time.  I don't keep track as much as I used to, but they seem to have that same kind of focus now. 

The thing I still never understand is how they think Evernote will ever sell to Enterprise at any scale.  It's a great product for the market that loves it, but the real recurring revenue money is not in that market.  Trying to chase it almost always leads to suboptimal decisions. Turning Evernote into a knowledgebase for Enterprise seems like a stretch too far.  I hope we're not headed down that road again.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Enterprise is too large an entity to be a realistic call.

But I think Teams is a sound offer for companies between 3 and 30, maybe even a little above. It is easy to apply, people will have no problem to use it, and the sort of semi-structured information keeping allows for legroom to support the individual processes and use cases smaller companies have.

I sometimes wonder which part of the internal processes EN itself uses is based on their own product.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
22 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

But I think Teams is a sound offer for companies between 3 and 30, maybe even a little above.

That's an interesting point. I'm not in the business world myself. We outsiders often hear a lot of news about the giants, but we also know that there are far more smaller businesses, and they are often the most important both for their customers and for local economies. It does seem like Evernote would be most useful at that level, and it's not an insignificant level.