Raster-based images placed into notes automatically convert to attachments. How do I disable this default setting?

• Level 5

What is a raster based image in your definition ?

EN will not display all picture formats inline. A Tiff for example will only show as attachment.

On a Mac EN integrates nicely with the Preview  app: Clicking „open“ will open the attachment in the preview app.

Choosing „close window“ there will return to the same note from where the attachment was opened. If you made changes, they will be saved to the attachment.

In my case, I'm finding that JPEGs & PNGs are the raster-based images not displaying as images. And I realize that I can individually open images with the Mac's preview app. I just want the aforementioned images to display permanently within each of my notes. 

• Level 5

JPEG, PNG and GIF are all supported formats. They are not strictly raster based, they are based on compression algorithms. But true, in the end there are pixels.

On my Mac EN 10.46 they show (as they did before). There is no setting for the way it should display content.

If they don’t show on your installation, I would contact support.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I just want to have each image display as an image (permanently), not as an attachment (which apparently has been selected as the default setting) however, not by me. Here's an image of my drop-down menu which does not include the 'image' option. 

FYI - This is a transparent background PNG image file (my 'S' logo - seen on this forum page.)

709925241_Drop-downmenu-10-06-2022.jpg.924074e8af98a678d32b18f528179f6a.jpg

• Level 5

There is no display default to set - my pictures show inline, not as attachments.

There are 2 exceptions: Not supported image formats will show as attachments, and very large pictures as well.

Check if the file extension and the algorithm are correctly matching. We had cases reported where the picture was coded as JPEG, but carried the extension „ .png“.

These will show as attachments, because the picture file can’t be read.

Clearly, reasonably sized PNG & JPEG image files that Evernote currently supports are the file types that I regularly encounter that do not display as images. So, in my case, this issue is still unresolved. Perhaps someone on this forum can specify the file size limitation - the point at which a file will ultimately display as only an attachment. This will allow me to monitor image files (over time) and determine the file size cut-off point when an image file will no longer display as an image. 

Looks like that point at when it will not display an image (at least a PNG for me) is right around 25 MB:

image.png.d8d463caf06170487b80ca384a6da45c.png

But I noticed that in the popup menu you show -- the "VIEW AS -> Attachment" menu item is not showing for you. Curious.

Thank you for providing your test example(s). Very interesting.

The majority of the images that I incorporate into my notes are well under your above example. And now I'm also wondering why my drop-down menu options lack some of the additional options your menus display. Can I assume that this might be categorized as a 'bug' of some sort?

So now I have two issues to contend with and hopefully resolve at some point.

Another quirk (that I discovered that is not always consistent) that affects how an image file is displayed is whether the image is cut & pasted into the note or dragged & dropped into the note. Why this can affect how an image is displayed within a note is not clear to me.

It might be worth looking at the web version of EN to see if that is the same. If the web version looks OK it might be a local database issue in which case logging out, selecting the option to not keep a copy of your notes and then relogging back in could possible solve it.

Thank you for your suggestion. 

I'll use the web-based version of Evernote for a while to see if these same issues that exist in the desktop version are present in the web-based version.

If the web-based Evernote does not exhibit those issues, it still doesn't explain why the desktop version would exhibit those behaviors. 

FIRST DAY OF USING THE WEB-BASED VERSION OF EVERNOTE:

All of the issues experienced while using Evernote Desktop For Mac have occurred in the web-based version.

Just to reiterate, those issues include:

▶︎ JPEG & PNG image files (typically around 100 kb in size) copied & pasted and/or dragged & dropped into a note displaying as attachments.
▶︎ Drop-down image menu items not displaying all of the available options (in particular, ‘Image’ & ‘attachment’ options).

It’s important to emphasize that these quirky behaviors are undoubtedly inconsistent, making it even more challenging to diagnose and resolve.

It should also be noted here that the majority of images integrated into most of my notes are typically obtained from the web and email messages and are most definitely well under 1 megabyte in file size.

Thank you for your response.

Knowing what questions Support might ask beforehand, assuming one question related to both versions would most likely be one of those initial questions, I've now firmly established that my issues are clearly exhibited in both Evernote versions.

I'll now submit these issues to the Evernote support team for further diagnosis and possible explanation and/or resolution.

• Like 1