My Free account went from 3 devices to just 1 – how do I get the Web back?

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

The Mac App Store app on my old MacBook Pro prompted me to update Evernote to version 10.45.18.  Since I had not used Evernote in quite some time, I then launched the app to see what was new.  I was greeted with an upgrade notice – see the attached screenshot.  I chose the "Unsync a device" option, which showed three devices:

• MacBook Pro
  • iMac
  • Web

I decided to unsync the MacBook Pro, which I seldom use.  On my iMac, I removed the MacBook Pro.  But I was still left with three devices:

• iMac (October 2022)
  • iMac (2013)
  • Web

My current iMac replaced the iMac from 2013.

I'm unsure precisely what happened after that.  I believe I tried to unsync the 2013 iMac.

At this point, I'm logged in on the iMac, and my account shows it's the only device.  When I attempt to login at Evernote.com with Safari, my username and password are accepted, the site appears momentarily, and the page changes to "You have logged out of Evernote."

How can I get Evernote on the Web back?

-- Ward

Evernote Upgrade.png

• Evernote Expert

When you stop using a device on your Evernote account it remains registered and counts towards your number of permitted devices.

The best way to stop using a device is to firstly completely log out of Evernote on that device and then remove (unsync) the device from your account.  Since that probably isn't possible you can only go through the removal process which you have done.

However, you can only remove two devices in a month if you are on the Free plan.  This is, presumably, designed to prevent Free users playing the system to effectively use more than two devices.  Web counts as a device regardless of which computer you've used it on.

I would say that it seems that you've tried to remove more than the two devices and you have had more than two devices connected in the current month.

Your moption as a Free user is to wait until the next calendar month or pay for a single month of Personal plan - the cost of a large take away coffee or two. Once on the plan yopu can unsync all your devices and then start using the two that you wish to use when your Personal plan expires.

@PinkElephant gave me the clue I needed – clearing the browser cache.

I like to avoid clearing my Safari cache & cookies unless absolutely necessary because I wind up having to re-login to numerous websites.  So I tried logging into Evernote.com in Firefox, which I'd never used with Evernote.  That login was successful, and my account now shows 2 devices:  my iMac and the Web, both registered today.

I can now login at Evernote.com with Safari!

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Glad you can now use the clients you want to apply.

You can delete the cache in Safari for each website individually. Then you can keep the valuable data (in terms of avoiding a lot of fresh logins), but liberate one website of old data that may block access.

You find the option in Safari settings, tab „Data Protection“ (or whatever it is called in English, between Security and Websites). There is a button „Administer Website Data“ in the „Cookies and Website Data“ area. You find all websites behind it, in alphabetical order, and can delete the data for a single website only.

• Like 1