October 2022 upgrade sucks!

Go to solution Solved by gazumped,

I have an eye problem and I prefer to use the dark scheme which was available until yesterday. Now I have to deal with this white display with very thin, low contrast characters. I cannot change the fonts nor can I change back to a dark scheme anymore. Thus makes Evernote (browser version) utterly useless for me, because I barely can read my notes anymore.

I regret the money that I have spent on this.

Have you guys never heard of inclusion and barrier-free software? 

On 10/2/2022 at 6:32 AM, _bws said:

Bring back the old interface. - I have eye problems and therefore appreciate the dark scheme (which is no more available).

@_bws Can you expound on this more? As far as I know, the old version didn't have a dark scheme, but the new v10 version does have a light and dark theme that works very well:

image.png.e19a7ebb75f50594bc6796a4c0e4dc40.pngimage.png.8f1465447b911f83ec84a72ed6b9dfdc.png

Also, if you have vision issues, perhaps consider making everything bigger, and not just the font.

On Desktop and Web at 125 percent zoom:

image.png.0e1a0b57d630675ca521d4b7b11d8dd6.png

• Level 5*
On 10/2/2022 at 1:39 PM, _bws said:

Now I have to deal with this white display with very thin, low contrast characters

1. Please don't post twice on the same subject - I merged the streams.
  2. My display didn't change from any recent updates - see @Boot17's comment above!
  • Level 5
On 10/2/2022 at 8:39 AM, _bws said:

I have an eye problem and I prefer to use the dark scheme which was available until yesterday. Now I have to deal with this white display with very thin, low contrast characters. I cannot change the fonts nor can I change back to a dark scheme anymore. Thus makes Evernote (browser version) utterly useless for me, because I barely can read my notes anymore.

WRT the browser version specifically, I just reloaded mine and it updated to v 10.46.7 (web 324; Editor: v158.2.19526; Service: v1.58.7). This now has some options on a gear icon near the top left, and one of these is to choose among system settings, light mode, or dark mode.

On 10/2/2022 at 8:39 AM, _bws said:

Have you guys never heard of inclusion and barrier-free software?

Us guys (mostly guys) are other users, not Evernote's developers. To contact the latter, fill out a support form: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.

On 8/15/2022 at 12:04 PM, CalS said:

Yeah, my recent forays with the web client have been much better.  I think I could pound some of the inefficiencies into submission with AutoHotKey.  But the lack of local notebooks and the annoying browser lag are still issues.  🤷‍♂️

CalS could you elaborate on this?  What kind of inefficiencies can you eliminate with AutoHotKey?  My understanding is that this is a scripting language for windows.  

On 10/3/2022 at 8:21 AM, Boot17 said:

@_bws Can you expound on this more? As far as I know, the old version didn't have a dark scheme, but the new v10 version does have a light and dark theme that works very well:

image.png.e19a7ebb75f50594bc6796a4c0e4dc40.pngimage.png.8f1465447b911f83ec84a72ed6b9dfdc.png

Also, if you have vision issues, perhaps consider making everything bigger, and not just the font.

On Desktop and Web at 125 percent zoom:

image.png.0e1a0b57d630675ca521d4b7b11d8dd6.png

I have a windows desktop and Dark Theme works very well on Evernote.  So, not sure what the problem is. 

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, idoc said:

CalS could you elaborate on this?  What kind of inefficiencies can you eliminate with AutoHotKey?  My understanding is that this is a scripting language for windows.  

I was talking about the process inefficiencies.  Some of the things I used to do with  6.25.1 are now multi step processes with V10.  With AHK I could create a hotkey for the those processes.   So one keyboard combo versus clicking through menus. 

I tend to use AHK with any anp to automate repetitive processes.  Some hotkeys can be complicated.  For example, when I was using EN I had a set of hotkeys for forwarding different types of emails to EN.  The "script" would add the to address, clean up the subject, add tags to the subject and clean up the added lines at the top of the email leaving the cursor at the end of the subject line if I wanted to add a reminder..  So hist a hotkey and it all just happens.  I've replicated those hotkeys in my new set up.  Not everyone's cup of tea, I just get irked when I find myself repeating the same combo of steps over and over.

End of the day, I know I can override the UI inefficiencies of V10 with AHK but I can't fix sync speed/issues, lack of  local notebooks, not so good PDF display, and a few other things which keep me from coming back.  🤷‍♂️  After 12 years using Evernote can't help but come back to the forums to see if things change.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

...What @CalS said:  I use Phrase Express to 'automate' things like search terms and date stamps,  and (in Windows) I'm looking at Power Automate which (allegedly) can automate whole processes - potentially (for example) running a search, adding a tag and moving files to a specific notebook.  Still haven't played with this yet though.

The difference is scripting uses the app itself to run a series of processes.  Automation just fools the app into believing that its existing buttons are being pushed in the usual way.

• Level 5
12 hours ago, CalS said:

End of the day, I know I can override the UI inefficiencies of V10 with AHK but I can't fix sync speed/issues, lack of  local notebooks, not so good PDF display, and a few other things which keep me from coming back.  🤷‍♂️  After 12 years using Evernote can't help but come back to the forums to see if things change.

Thanks for popping back in, @CalS. I avoided the v. 10 Windows desktop app (but test drove the Web client) for a long time, until I could see on the Web that there were things I wanted and needed in the new version. I've been quite satisfied with it, since I haven't had the sync issues others mentioned, and the PDF and printing issues rarely come up for me (and my old Android phone won't run v. 10 with its really problematic sync). Local notebooks, though ... I didn't use them with previous versions, but I can imagine their usefulness. In the new version, Evernote seems committed to being multi-platform, and not allowing/messing with items unique to a local installation. Other note and writing apps manage that fine for me, while I like EN for cross-platform work. Hope to see you from time to time; but I doubt that local notebooks are going to come back.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Thanks for popping back in, @CalS. I avoided the v. 10 Windows desktop app (but test drove the Web client) for a long time, until I could see on the Web that there were things I wanted and needed in the new version. I've been quite satisfied with it, since I haven't had the sync issues others mentioned, and the PDF and printing issues rarely come up for me (and my old Android phone won't run v. 10 with its really problematic sync). Local notebooks, though ... I didn't use them with previous versions, but I can imagine their usefulness. In the new version, Evernote seems committed to being multi-platform, and not allowing/messing with items unique to a local installation. Other note and writing apps manage that fine for me, while I like EN for cross-platform work. Hope to see you from time to time; but I doubt that local notebooks are going to come back.

Definitely a use case thing.  About 20% of my EN notes were confidential and hence Local Notebooks.  I've talked about it elsewhere but I ended up using MEGA as the "sync" engine for my files,.  End to end encryption with fast sync on my PC and IOS devices.  I do lose content search on IOS but not a big issue as most of those files are easily findable via file name search. 

The new set up is working well for me but it is multiple tools (somehow I've added 3000 notes since I switched earlier in the year).  Would be nice to have a single tool, but to your point I don't think local notebooks are coming back, ant time soon anyway..  Thanks for the kind words.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

If we look at the design of the new app, it is practically a browser application running inside of a browser engine. This means being online it native to the app, local files are not.

You could do yourself a favor and switch to a Mac. Then you could get DEVONThink: It is first purchased software, and secondly runs entirely local on your Mac, doing indexing and OCR there, not in the cloud.

It only uses a cloud service when you want to sync through one. And you decide which content will sync, and which stays strictly local.

Offline notebooks will not return to EN, and DEVONThink will not go Windows or Android. Who said it is a perfect world … ?

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
37 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

If we look at the design of the new app, it is practically a browser application running inside of a browser engine. This means being online it native to the app, local files are not.

You could do yourself a favor and switch to a Mac. Then you could get DEVONThink: It is first purchased software, and secondly runs entirely local on your Mac, doing indexing and OCR there, not in the cloud.

It only uses a cloud service when you want to sync through one. And you decide which content will sync, and which stays strictly local.

Offline notebooks will not return to EN, and DEVONThink will not go Windows or Android. Who said it is a perfect world … ?

@PinkElephant  Don’t think I need to go to the dark side!  😂

You list the reasons I rolled my own solution - browser based so update lags, no local notebooks - and probably not getting redressed due to architecture.

V10 has become a good product, just not so good for my use case.  All my indexing and OCR is local, everything I sync is encrypted, and updates are real time.  Not a perfect world, I use two app windows (Directory Opus and Workflowy), though pretty close to 6,25 feature and performance for what I do.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

As a new year proposition, I've cancelled my Evernote Premium subscription and won't upgrade again until they implement a wishlist website where users can submit ideas, vote for them, and follow progress updates from the evernote team (officially). I am tired of being a paying customer and endless waiting for features to be improved/implemented, with an Android app that is full of bugs and keeps crushing.

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, LucaBen said:

As a new year proposition, I've cancelled my Evernote Premium subscription and won't upgrade again until they implement a wishlist website where users can submit ideas, vote for them, and follow progress updates from the evernote team (officially). I am tired of being a paying customer and endless waiting for features to be improved/implemented, with an Android app that is full of bugs and keeps crushing.

So you're going to withhold funding for improvements until you get to help pick which ones go forward?  You may be waiting for some time...

• Haha 2
16 minutes ago, gazumped said:

So you're going to withhold funding for improvements until you get to help pick which ones go forward?  You may be waiting for some time...

They got enough funding from me so far, and managed to release an Android app that has been bug-rigged for motnhs. I am happy to fund improvements that are made with consideration for what users are asking for, rather than useless new features that are far away from their core business (at least for the many among us who want to use evernote to take notes and keep them organised). 

• Like 1

I've submitted a request to publish a wishlist website, please consider upvoting the idea (so to say, because there is no upvote feature but you can at least like it or comment), if you think that the team at Evernote should start listening to their customers and being more transparent about their future plans. 

For the time being, I am fine with Evernote basic, it does pretty much all I need, despite the many bugs and missing features. I did unsubscribe from this thread and only came back to add something, I am now going to unsubscribe from updates again.

• 7 months later...

Still no tabs, and the list view of notes on Mac is still terrible - it literally gets garbled. It's like they're using their own graphics setup instead of what looks like the rest of OSX. I'm not a coder, but I don't understand why it's hard to make a list that looks like a list. And the tabs... people have been requesting this since the new version came out. Still nothing. 

• Level 5

Windows never had tabs, so your argument is that you can’t use what 85% of users had always been using ?

Then you might have a very specific use case. Or you are just stuck with a deprecated feature. I found opening several notes, each in its own window a useful alternative.

The UI is unified for all clients, so no matter on which platform, when you open an EN app, you will always have the same Feel & Touch. It’s a strategic decision - like it or not.

• 6 months later...

More than three years later and the newest version still sucks. Evernote forgot what its core promise was: "remember everything." Now it has all sorts of shinny, useless, IA-powered, predictive capabilities that impede (rather than help) remembering. I would continue paying the (high) subscription price had Evernote continued to deliver on its promise. It is sad, because it was an amazing product that competitors have not been able to replicate. This month, Evernote officially shut down their legacy app. There is currently no app on Earth that can do what Evernote was able to do--not even Evernote. Way to destroy a fantastic product.