How to stop Evernote's initial, introductory "Sign Up for Evernote" popups?

Go to solution Solved by Jon/t,

I am not an Evernote user. I just set up a temporary sign-in account so I could ask this question:

A week or more ago, a come-on pop-up for Evernote suddenly started appearing on my Firefox browser screen every single time I boot up my laptop. I automatically delete it, as I do any unwanted ad, but this one refuses to quit and it's becoming annoying. It's insulting, too, considering they just barged into my computer without asking, and without offering a DECLINE option to stop the affront. That alone is such a turn-off that I don't think I'd sign up with them even if they were giving away free money. (Well, almost.)

Any info on how to stop that pop-up for good would be much appreciated. Thanks!

• Level 5*
On 10/2/2022 at 12:55 PM, Mac the Knife said:

a come-on pop-up for Evernote suddenly started appearing on my Firefox browser screen

Pretty sure that's nothing to do with Evernote - they'll haze you with pop-ups when their app is running but only on that page.  Have you tried clearing the browser cache?  Restarting your device?  If the thing comes back,  send us a screen shot.

• Solution

That looks like its the Windows app and shouldn't be related to Firefox.

You probably have Evernote installed on your computer and it may be set to auto start on boot up.

Bingo, Jon/t !  You were correct:

The program was not listed in All Control Panel Items/Programs and Features, but I did find it in the START list, where I Uninstalled it. Then a fresh reboot and, for the first time in a couple of weeks, the the pop-up did not appear in my browser.

I have no idea how or when it got into my computer, or why it suddenly decided to auto start on boot up - some pretty sneaky installation by either Evernote, Windows and/or Acer, I suppose - but however it got started, it appears to be gone now.

So, thank you, Jon/t.  Chalk one up for We, the People.

• Like 1