Evernote Classic's quick note "use the first line as title of note" instead of making the date as title

Kim Nguyen
Go to solution Solved by Boot17,

Idea

Hi, I'm still on evernote classic because of one single feature: the quicknote drop down menu notes are saved with the first line as title of note. The new versions name the note solely as a date, which over time makes it impossible to know what the note is about (who knows what I wrote about just by reading a title such as "01-10-2010")

Evernote clearly says this is not at all in their priorities in the near future to bring back this feature or give this option (date or first line as title of quick menu note, which seems very simple to bring back?) so I guess I'm alone in this, so I need to start exploring other software before evernote classic fails, would anyone have a recommendation for a Note taking app that does offer this feature instead of evernote?

Thank you

• Like 1

6 replies to this idea

• Solution

Here is a hot take: The 'quick note' is not actually the quickest way to create a new note in Evernote.

The quickest way is to use the global shortcut key (by global it means Evernote doesn't have to have focus, it just has to be running). On Mac this is (by default anyway) Control-Option-Command-N.

You can set a preference to start the note with the cursor focus in the title.

Not only is this quicker than 'quick note', it will also allow you to avoid the title of the note being the current date instead of whatever you want it to be.

So you want to jot down a quick note on Mac?: Control-Option-Command-N. Type your note. Command-W (to close the new note window). Done.

First line as title instead of note (or date and time as it currently is), is definitely a MUST HAVE. I jot down notes all the time, sometimes 20 a day. And now I have to open the note to see the content.

A list of dates on which the notes are created is useless.

I really hope this will be resolved, in the old version it worked perfectely.

• Level 5

Good question. From my experience you will have even trouble to find another app that has a helper function as EN offers. You either have a menubar Quicknote app, or a note app.

Personally I don‘t think that creating an automatic title for a Quicknote would be a key feature. A Quicknote in my understanding is a tool to jot down an idea - not a tool to create a formalized, formatted, elaborate note. Picking the first line just means I have the same text twice in my notes - this is not only beneficial.

So as much as I think the exchange of ideas is beneficial, my personal opinion is that these features are sort of decoration. As long as we have key features still missing (I just want to mention better Tag Management and Printing), the devs should be kept on focus.

It's not what you are asking for but it is worth remembering that if you delete the title of a note, EN will treat it the same as a new note with no title. Therefore clicking into the title area will populate the title with the first line.

• Like 1

"@Boot17 your suggestion is actually a very good alternative! "

For reference if someone is looking for the same solution:

"The quickest way is to use the global shortcut key (by global it means Evernote doesn't have to have focus, it just has to be running). On Mac this is (by default anyway) Control-Option-Command-N. "