Weird image error after editing note.

• Level 5*

Just had a very strange experience with an apparently simple image capture.  FYI this is a cautionary tale rather than a cry for help,  but (as usual) any constructive comments are welcome...

Running Win 11 / Evernote Desktop 10.45.18 and Android Galaxy S7 with Android 8.0 and 'old' EN 8.13

Image capture with the phone normally works perfectly;  this one did not.  Took an Android picture of a 'phone note in bad light.  Very small note - less than 4" x 4" with pencil annotation.  Saved as document.  Synced to desktop. Note size <200Kb

Later:  opened note on desktop - saw image. Opened in my image-fixer of choice XNView.  No file extension showed,  but XNView assumed PNG,  presumably from the format.  Fixed white balance and cropped image.  Attempted to save back to the note.  Progress bar very slow.

Saw that the image now showed as an attachment (still no extension visible) and the size in the note was going up...  in MB!   -60....80...100...180...  "Unable to save - attachment too large..."

There's a default I've not seen before that saves the attachment to your local hard drive (apparently) if it can't be uploaded.  I clicked the link to open the location.  1 file showing @ 80MB.

XNView is still trying to upload a file,  so I closed the app to examine the image file in more detail.  Except while I closed that app,  I now have two image files...  and then three...

By the time I got to several files I had deleted the original note,  emptied the trash folder and then deleted 750MB of image files from the "failed uploads" folder on my hard drive.  And was breathing a little hard.

Remembering that I do (despite appearances) have a life,  I didn't try reporting this - I'd need lots of screenshots to demonstrate the process,  plus most of the evidence was already deleted.  I fished my original image out of the 'phone Gallery by way to Google Photos*,  cropped it & fixed the white balance,  then drag/dropped it into a new note (still no extension showing,  but the file type according to Android and Google is PNG) and now I have a brand new working note with a total size of 66Kb.

And back to work!

PS Somewhere along the way there I tried to restore my note content from Note History - which also failed and dumped my image back in that 'failed upload' folder - multiple times.  Maybe the original was corrupted,  maybe Evernote imported or exported it badly.  Maybe the Legacy > v10 transfer doesn't go well.   Who knows?

But - if you have any image issues like the above,  let me know.  All of this may be related to some image / duplication issues.  I'll watch (and document) my next capture a little more carefully...

* You may hate the organisation,  but they do good work.